PDA

View Full Version : Woodfast Lathe

styxywyx
21st June 2007, 06:19 PM
Hi - I'm a new member - looking for some information and help. i have an old woodfast lathe- a cast iron bed, original Headstock and Tail stock and some home made accessories. I would dearly love to get this lathe back to working order but can't find any spare parts, cant get at the bearings and cant find anyone in Tasmania who can do the job. I think the lathe is from the 1970s but I'm not sure. I tried talking to the company but they were no help at all. If anyone has any suggestions I can post a photo? or email. Any suggestions.......all gratefully recieved:)

macca2
21st June 2007, 06:41 PM
Yes a photo would help.

reeves
21st June 2007, 07:05 PM
maybe try the Tassie woodworkers guild, some members there may know about such things...also someone higher up in the woodfast company might help you if you hassle them a bit

good luck

Tankstand
21st June 2007, 08:21 PM
The bearings are likely to be plain old deep groove 2"OD X 1" ID X 0.5" W
which are readily available although pricey.

But don't go out and buy them just yet!

styxywyx
23rd June 2007, 12:31 PM
Now if I can only figure out how to get this picture on the post.........!!!!!
Have had some really good help from Bronte at Woodfast - ( found from an old posting ) -
Once I can get this picture up and find the serial number maybe we can go places.
At the moment it runs really rough (?bearings) from a single phase 1.5? HP motor on a gravity suspension system - the motor bounces around a bit as well. again photo needed!
Any way guys thanks for the help so far - watch this space......

styxywyx
23rd June 2007, 02:21 PM
:2tsup:I think I may have cracked it

rsser
23rd June 2007, 02:42 PM
Nice bit of harware Styx.

Bearings are usually std items so find your local engineering supplies place.

Is there a brace, or way of bracing the motor?

You may have a chopped belt, so when you head down to your eng supplies place take it with you. They're also usually std items.

Worth the effort.

Good luck!

Tankstand
23rd June 2007, 03:22 PM
And of course, while changing the bearings you will have the pulley out so changing the belt is a must.

I wouldn't mind rebuilding it for you for the cost of a holiday in Tassie!:D

styxywyx
25th June 2007, 08:32 AM
Thanks for the offer Tank - but I'm more of a do it yourself guy!!!!!:D:D

tashammer
25th June 2007, 09:08 AM
besides which, i live closer. :-)

Jackson
25th June 2007, 10:45 PM
Styx

I've had a Woodfast for about ten years which I bought new (ME 910). The motor does jump around a bit, especially at top speed. What this caused on mine was metal fatigue in the hinge mechanism which joins plate which the motor bolts to and the body of the lathe. This is what allows the motor to rest on the belt. If you can imagine that when the belt takes the weight of the pulley end of the motor, there is noting supporting the other (heavier end). This causes a twisting motion and subsequent extra pressure on the other end of the hinge. Make sense so far?

Over the years, the extra weight through the twisting action and the bouncing caused my hinge to fail at that end. I welded it as a temporary but intend to replace the plate with a wooden base attached to the body with a longer hinge. That should stop the twisting and help reduce bouncing.

Of course I'm open to any suggestions.....

Cheers

joe greiner
26th June 2007, 12:24 AM
Devise a bracket to fix the position of the motor bracket after the motor's weight has applied tension to the belt. This should confine vibration to the belt. At some critical speed(s) resonance can set up in the belt. Using a slightly different belt length (different natural frequency) can help a bit. Artificially increasing tension by hand before fixing can help too. Works a lot like a guitar string.

Joe