PDA

View Full Version : A Few More Turnings

Little Festo
22nd June 2007, 09:45 PM
Here are a few of my latest pieces. Sorry about the photos were a bit rushed. The African Mahogany form is quite thin approx 4-5mm, approx 350mm in diameter. I managed to get if even down to the base, the Monro holler worked very well.

1&2 - Bumpy Ash
3 Corkwood - Piece warped quite a bit after finished turning.
4 Red Cedar
5 African Mahogany

Caveman
22nd June 2007, 11:13 PM
Hey Peter - really great stuff............as usual.
Have been waiting to see the finished carved piece - I seem to recall seeing a WIP picture before?
Thanks for sharing.

TTIT
22nd June 2007, 11:28 PM
Luvly work as always Peter :2tsup: Very pleasing shape to the mahogany piece - consider it copied! :;:U

hughie
23rd June 2007, 12:10 AM
Lil Festo,

Good work as per...:U for me the African Mahogany is the one. The shape and in particular the lip definition, sets off the bowl well.

Sebastiaan56
23rd June 2007, 05:32 AM
Inspiring work, where do you get the fittings for the Red cedar box?

Sebastiaan

ptc
24th June 2007, 05:21 PM
All great pieces. You mature with retirement !
any chance of seeing the cedar one with the lid closed. please

rsser
25th June 2007, 06:37 PM
Like the others I reckon no. 5 is a gem.

Can you post a pic of the profile?

Just so's I can copy it with a bit of Chris Buhle's superb figured Qld Maple ;-}

Did you use a bowl steady with it? Captured hollowing rig?

Little Festo
7th July 2007, 10:59 AM
Like the others I reckon no. 5 is a gem.

Can you post a pic of the profile?

Just so's I can copy it with a bit of Chris Buhle's superb figured Qld Maple ;-}

Did you use a bowl steady with it? Captured hollowing rig?

No bowl steady and I used the Rolly Munroe hollower. The timber was "very dry" so hardly any movement, African Mahogany tends to move quite a bit, also I turned it in one session to limit any problems movement might have caused. It was good to watch expessions when people picked it up expecting it to be heavier, I was able to get a nice even thickness (4-5 mm) right into the base too. Lasted about a week in the Gallery - was too cheap:doh:!

I got the circular hinges I used on the Red Cedar box form the UK, quite expensive. Carbatec used to carry them but not anymore.

Sorry for the delay in replying - had a couple of weeks in Darwin, just got back.

Peter

rsser
7th July 2007, 12:48 PM
Thanks Peter.

No wonder it got snapped up.

Wayne Blanch
7th July 2007, 08:54 PM
Peter,
Thats a beautiful piece of work!!!!!:2tsup:

Jim Carroll
8th July 2007, 10:34 AM
Peter excellent work.

One question,Bowl 1 on the outside edge you have scolloped it and given it a soft edge but on the inside edge lip of the form you have a sharp edge, tends to give it an unfinished edge, may it have looked better with the scollop coming through. Hope you understand what I am asking.

reeves
8th July 2007, 12:07 PM
very nice work indeed, well done.

BTW, which gallery have you been selling them in?

rsser
8th July 2007, 03:35 PM
One of the wrinkles in showing your work in pics is of course that the camera can, well, not lie, but obscure. Ideally we should be taking shots at normal focal length (50mm or digital equipment) or a bit longer to make the form easier for others to assess.

Not talking specifically about yours Peter. Just a reflection on my own postings.

robynmau
8th July 2007, 06:45 PM
Hi Pete

Those pieces are beautiful, as usual. I especially love the carved edges :!

cheers

Robyn

cedar n silky
8th July 2007, 07:16 PM
All nice work Pete.
I know the Corkwod, although Ihave never turned it. It looks fantasic! (Look out Corkwod trees!) The Bumpy Ash is local to Brizzy? And did you hand carve the fluting? Was it soft and easy to carve?

WOODbTURNER
8th July 2007, 10:34 PM
Sorry for the delay in replying - had a couple of weeks in Darwin, just got back.

Peter[/quote]

G'day Pete
Good to see you made it back to paradise "2".
Have you worked out how you are going to get those two pallets of timber back home?
I turned one of those smaller logs (Gmelina - beech) last week. Boy, was there a ton of water in it! The amazing thing is that there has'nt been much movement after five days.
Anyway it was good to see again.
Jeff

Little Festo
10th July 2007, 10:01 PM
All nice work Pete.
I know the Corkwod, although Ihave never turned it. It looks fantasic! (Look out Corkwod trees!) The Bumpy Ash is local to Brizzy? And did you hand carve the fluting? Was it soft and easy to carve?

The Bumpy Ash was quite easy to carve, turned ok too. I used a small arbortech power carver (disk) then 80/60 grit to smooth it over, remove divets/undulations, then worked up through the finer grits.

The Corkwood was from a crotch roughed out 3-4 months ago and was covered in mold - used a respirator. Turned ok but has moved quite a bit so it wasn't quite dry, lots of colour though, pinks, grays, dark browns and some cream.

Peter

Little Festo
10th July 2007, 10:07 PM

Peter

G'day Pete
Good to see you made it back to paradise "2".
Have you worked out how you are going to get those two pallets of timber back home?
I turned one of those smaller logs (Gmelina - beech) last week. Boy, was there a ton of water in it! The amazing thing is that there has'nt been much movement after five days.
Anyway it was good to see again.
Jeff[/quote]

hello Jeff,

Yes arrived yesterday - Monday. Sent it with Westrans, good rate ($220 - 2 palets - 850kg). I go down to Brissy tomorrow to pick it up. Thanks for all the help, remember there is always a room here if you want one, might be in the workshop under the Stubby:D!! Will post the pic ASAP.

Peter