PDA

View Full Version : Need a decent wood lathe!

BANNED
24th June 2007, 12:53 AM
Hi all
I'm a 49 years old male from SA (Adelaide Hills area), and I'm on a disability pension due to some physical problems. A ex-carpenter/cabinet maker, etc, I'm no stranger to wood, but I never had much to do with wood turning, mainly because of no time. Installed hundreds of peaces that have been turned, but never done it myself, until recently (18 months), when I found myself without been able to work.

I'm a timber person, and that is not much that I haven't done with wood, or from wood, but things are now different. With so much time on my hands, I decided to try to do some wood turning, in the days that I manage to walk around, so I got out of the box a GMC wood lathe that I purchase 4 years ago, and mount it on a solid base I've made. I got then, also a set of 8 medium quality chisels, and a independent 4 jaw chuck, which endup being totally useless.

I remember to have made a couple of peaces not long after I purchased it, then I packed it away in the shed, until recently (a few weeks ago), after I manage to get a few blanks of wood (some dry some green) and get into it with a passion. I suppose, I missed so much the timber touch, smell and colours, that I felt good turning wood, learn as I go, and create some nice peaces. I started with green wood, so the three peaces I've made were cut rough and sealed from slow drying.

The last peace I done was made out of peace of a very old red-gum log left in the middle of a neighbour paddock for so many years that he lost count. I got the log for firewood, cut it but didn't split them because the timber was soaked wet and full of soil from the side it was left on the ground. A few days ago, I went trough those logs and was one peace that didn't show too many splits, apart from the rot part from being on the ground, but at approx 13 inch's diameter, I thought that I could still get some good wood in the centre for a small vase.

As soon as I put the log on the lathe and start turning it, the vibration even on the lower setting, was tremendous. I use the chain saw to get the log as balanced as I could, and put it back on the lathe. It did turn much better, so a started to get it round(er) and trim both ends to get it even more balanced quicker. I was cutting timber away, but it didn't look and feel that it was getting round. After stopping and checking I come to the conclusion the something got lose, as the log wasn't turning centred, therefore cutting more one side than the other.

Re-mounted the log in the lathe, but it didn't improve anything, so I stop, remove the log and started to inspect all parts of the lathe, starting with the motor compartment (pulley's and belt). The belt was tight, everything looked right, until I decided to remove the belt to inspect the bearings, when the top pulley fall down on the ground, followed by the bottom one, that come off when I grabbed it. After a little while I got the pulley's back into place, with the locking screws locktited.

Log back in the lathe and start again, yep, it was turning alright (better), so I continued to work on for two days, as the timber was bad all trough, but I decide to repair the cracks and other bad bits, and use the all experience as "training". The more I turned the more repairs to the wood I had to do, and the peace wasn't turning balanced, making the all thing quite interesting, the least! On the third day, I manage to give it a coat of stain (walnut) to hide some imperfections and repairs, and then 2 coats of oil, to make it look better. The vase is now in the house, on top of the TV, and my wife likes it as is...!

Now, I wanted to make a few large peaces, but I haven't got a lathe to do it with, is too much movement in the head shaft, to turn anything right and round, so I need to replace it. I've been reading and looking on Australian sites and seeing what is available and prices, mostly to anything that I can buy in Adelaide, to void the cost of freight. I like those DVR, but too expensive, the ones I also liked first is the Carba-Tec Electronic wood lathe, and then the Delta cast iron lathe, and maybe
some MC-1100.
What do you guys think? :?
Cheers

joe greiner
24th June 2007, 03:23 AM
That seems a large chunk of wood to bite into after so much time away. Especially as it was likely out of balance due to varying distribution of water, even though it might look round enough from the outside. If the bearings are shot in the old lathe, repair or replacement might be necessary. But I'd suggest when you re-start, do some practice turning on smaller pieces of wood, preferably known to be dry. Just for practice, that is; no project at all in mind. It might take a while to get your game back, and best to work back up to it gradually.

I hope this doesn't seem condescending; definitely not intended to be. I've been turning more or less continuously (at least 2 or 3 days per week) for a couple years, and I've yet to attempt anything that challenging.

See if there's a woodturning club in your area. Local dealers may be able to provide contact information; also Google [woodturning australia adelaide] for more insight. I've found that, for some unknown reason, woodturners are some of the friendliest folks you'll ever meet, and most eager to give guidance, AND sometimes even some free wood.

Best wishes.

Joe

Ross
24th June 2007, 08:40 AM
Have a look at Woodfast, they are in SA.

http://www.woodfast.com.au/index.php

Ross

kiwioutdoors
24th June 2007, 09:36 AM
Anything in the teknatool range you may be able to find an older one second hand one.

DJ’s Timber
24th June 2007, 09:43 AM
Did you check out the other Teknatool lathe (http://www.cws.au.com/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_product_details?category_id=1107144884&product_id=1107423581), same build quaility and almost the same as the DVR, you just need to move the belt for speed changes :2tsup:

Hardenfast
24th June 2007, 09:47 AM
Not sure if you're into eBay or not, but there are always cheap lathes coming and going there.

Just as a matter of interest I have placed a search on "wood lathe", so Ebay sends me an email every time something new gets posted - usually 2 or 3 every day. Sooner or later something will come up in your area, and in the meantime you get a good idea of what prices they bring.

There are usually heaps of Hafco (Hare & Forbes) and others listed which are medium quality lathes - probably better than GMC. Sometimes they can include a range of accessories, and generally go pretty cheap. There's always the worry of buying someone else's problems (like yours), I guess, but it sounds like it wouldn't be much worse than what you've got.

I too am a chippy in semi-retirement mode who has just started into wood turning, Having a lot of fun and always looking for tools & equipment better than I've got. I agree with Joe - start with some pieces a little more modest in size and stability. Much easier on you and the machine.

Good luck!

Jim Carroll
24th June 2007, 10:30 AM
You have the Adelaide working with wood show on the 27-29th of July. Hold of till then and have a closer look at what is available.

Also the South Australian Woodies have a stand there with displays and demos so they will be able to help you with lessons etc.

Dont buy cheap buy good and it will last a very long time.

We will also be there with all our craft supplies so you will get to see what is availble for all your other projects.

rsser
24th June 2007, 05:24 PM
A lot of us use or started with the MC900 or MC1100 and they are good for some impressive work.

Just be aware these are generic terms with different retailers having bits of various quality in them. There are some bargain versions not worth having ... do a search on recent posts.

If you're getting a sense of excitment with the GMC then you're probably on a slippery slope of gear purchases ... but good gear all up is still cheaper than equipping a shed with basic machinery for flatware.

Welcome to the forum, and good luck.

macca2
24th June 2007, 10:12 PM
There is a lathe with extras for sale on ebay now. It is in South Australia and may be what you are after.

macca

BANNED
25th June 2007, 01:47 AM
Thank you all for the observations.
The reason why I decided to come to this room, is because I decided to ask for some help, with a issue that I'm not at the moment that comfortable with, (the purchase of a wood lathe). Some years back, this wouldn't be necessary, as I would by all my tools in the best and more expensive brands available. I believe you get what you pay for, in most cases. Nevertheless, I experienced the most expensive tools to fail, when some of "cheapish" did perform well beyond the expectations and value.

I believe these forums, are now capable to help anyone, as I see people with great experience and maturity, now participating in these rooms, providing an unvalued amount of information, asking for nothing in return.
I can take constructive criticism, as I approach these rooms with an open mind, and with the knowledge that my life has changed dramatically, and with it, the financial capabilities are no longer allowing me have the freedom to buy "things" without being worried of cost.

No, I'm not feeling sorry for myself, I'm just confronting the reality of the facts, and coming to terms with it. I always been a modest person, and never mixed well with "snobbish", I prefer simplicity and transparency!

OK, now back to the lathe issue, when I purchase the GMC, I did so, not because I needed a lathe, but the fact that I felt interesting that someone could make a wood lathe, that size for $99. Of course that this tool would have limitations, but at such price, what would one expect?
I still found today, unbelievable. The 2 peaces I've made when I bought it, were small, just because what I needed turned, was relatively small, and light, so I didn't find anything wrong with the lathe, indeed, it worked quite well considering the cost.

Obviously, now that I have a need and a purpose for a wood lathe, and after made a few "heavy and large peaces" not huge, but larger than those I started with, I reminded myself that the GMC is a lite tool for lite work and that the bearings life would be compromised, as soon as I put a heavy and (normally) unbalanced peace of wood on its head shaft. So I'm not in any way, disappointed with its performance, but just accepting that would be unsafe to continue to use it as a wood lathe, as I believe it would make a perfect disk sender.

I am looking at a wood lathe that will not cost over $1000, for the lathe only, no accessories, tools or lathe table. No belts or gears to change manually, with a minimal of working area of 350 mm X 1000 approx. , able to turn it's head for larger work, and without the motor beside the headstock (back of the motor nearly touching the turning wood), and with variable speed if possible.

There 2 models that I like, the DVR for approx $3000 and the MSL-3815 Electronic Variable Speed Wood Lathe. If money wasn't an issue, I would get the DVR (no questions asked), for the money that I'm prepared to spend, the only one I found is the MSL-3815. The MC-900's and 1100's don't appeal to much to me!

At this point, I would like to get some advice on the models like the MSL-3815, and find out if the electronics on these machines work well, and if is there any other matters that I should be aware of. I believe the wood lathes I searched so far, are not only it, should be some others that I haven't found yet!

Anyway, my last peace I mention on my first thread, so called "the red-gum from hell" is attached. [I don't think the log is that big...!!!], Shame that the wood was bad, the shape and form I like!

Take care, cheers
GV

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t71/nyodine/Red-gumfromhell002_1-1.jpg
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t71/nyodine/Red-gumfromhell001_1-1.jpg
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t71/nyodine/Red-gumfromhell003_1.jpg
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t71/nyodine/Red-gumfromhell005_1.jpg
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t71/nyodine/Red-gumfromhell006_1.jpg
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t71/nyodine/Red-gumfromhell007_1.jpg
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t71/nyodine/Red-gumfromhell008_1.jpg
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t71/nyodine/Red-gumfromhell009_1.jpg
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t71/nyodine/Red-gumfromhell011_1.jpg
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t71/nyodine/Red-gumfromhell012_1.jpg
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t71/nyodine/Red-gumfromhell013_1.jpg
:doh: :2tsup: :no:

rsser
25th June 2007, 09:05 AM
If you're interested in the MSLxxx, do a search for posts by Slow. I think he bought something like it and took it back.

BANNED
26th June 2007, 01:17 AM
Thanks rsser
I did try a search on Slow, but no luck. Maybe he will come across my post and talk to me about it.
In the mean time, I will continue searching.
At the moment I trying to get some decent wood to turn, as soon as I get the GMC replacement, but it seams impossible to get some around here, I'm not having much luck!
Cheers
GV

rsser
26th June 2007, 08:22 AM
Sorry GV.

It's Slow6 - my mistake.

Here's one of his posts:

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=41349

(At the top of the page go to Search - Advanced Search - search by User)

BANNED
28th June 2007, 12:30 AM
Thanks rsser
Yeah, most of it (thread) is nearly 2 years old, I wonder if the problem has been resolved?
Cheers
GV

Frank&Earnest
28th June 2007, 04:26 PM
Hi, GV, welcome.

Buying lathes is not easy for croweaters, as I have just discovered. Your requirements are not far from what I came up with after looking around these pages and getting advice. You say:

I am looking at a wood lathe that will not cost over $1000, for the lathe only, no accessories, tools or lathe table. No belts or gears to change manually, with a minimal of working area of 350 mm X 1000 approx. , able to turn it's head for larger work, and without the motor beside the headstock (back of the motor nearly touching the turning wood), and with variable speed if possible.

I did not set a budget, I tried to work out what IMO was the best cost/benefit ratio, and, in my ignorance, did not consider at all the position of the motor. My technical requirements were exactly as yours.

What I came up with was the Jet 1442, which meets all the requirements BUT:
- it is a bit more expensive (around $1500 with very heavy legs), but will conceivably do all you want it to do for the rest of your life - worth the extra bucks, I think.
- there is no agent in SA, so you will have to go through a middleman or buy in Queensland;
-the motor is in the position you do not like.

I do not recall anybody mentioning on these pages that the position of the motor is a real drawback. The only problem I have found with it is that to place the hood of the dust extractor reasonably close to the piece limits the forward movement of the mobile headstock. This does not appear to be a major issue, considering that moving the head for outboard turning is not impaired.
Below is a picture to show what I mean. Advice welcome on the effectiveness of the placement of the hood and better ways to do it. The bottom rail that holds the hood masks it in the picture, but there is a gap 80 mm wide between the hood and the bed of the lathe. At TAFE I saw that they had a piece of metal covering the gap, but it got in the way of the banjo. Any suggestion on whether it is worth covering the gap?

smeds
28th June 2007, 05:14 PM
Definitely go the Jet 1442, great stuff, variable speed, weighs a ton, runs smooth as a babies bum.

rsser
28th June 2007, 05:52 PM
In short F&E, no IMHO.

Trawl through the photos in all Richard Raffan's books and you'll see some marvellous chutes and hoppers, varying by date of publication. I came to the conclusion from that that chip extraction around a lathe is a marginal proposition mostly.

I too use a 'big throat' like yours - with bowl turning it can pick up some shavings when hollowing but really only comes into it's own when sanding ... and it does that very well and justifies the two-horse dusty on the other end.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
28th June 2007, 05:52 PM
Buying lathes is not easy for croweaters, as I have just discovered. Your requirements are not far from what I came up with after looking around these pages and getting advice.

Buying them is easy. Delivery is another thing altogether...

Frank&Earnest
28th June 2007, 05:59 PM
I stand corrected. Buying and paying by Visa= 3 minutes. Final delivery TODAY! :2tsup: :2tsup: :2tsup: = 3 months.:D

Frank&Earnest
28th June 2007, 06:08 PM
Thanks Ern. After seeing the 2 million HP sucker at TAFE I did not have bigger expectations than that anyway, and you have confirmed that our 2HP will do the job.:2tsup:

Jim Carroll
28th June 2007, 06:35 PM
Just found out that Jet Australia will be in Adelaide for the wood show.
May be worth a look.

Big Shed
28th June 2007, 07:15 PM
Are you going to be there too Jim?

Am going to Adelaide for my daughters birthday and will catch the woodshow as well.

Jim Carroll
28th June 2007, 08:04 PM
Yes we will be there on stand 35.:2tsup:

Dont bother looking at the plans just yet as they have not been updated since last year.:doh:

BANNED
28th June 2007, 10:59 PM
Hi F&E

Is interesting that you mention that SA has no agent for the Jet, when this afternoon I was on the phone with Michael Richter from Adelaide Mik International, and he mention to me that he got some Jet models on the floor right now. I started dealing with Mik International a couple of weeks ago, when I order a Nova G3 chuck with inserts model (can be used in other lathes), for my now dying GMC.

Michael last week was prepared to accept my offer on Lay-buy on a MC-900, which I end-up declining when I realise that the MC-900 he had on the floor, wasn't the model with the specifications I was looking for, then.
Interestingly, our Australia Post has major problems, as the same day the chuck was posted to me from Adelaide 21/6/07, I got a Digital Moisture Meter on eBay from the US. Today I received the parcel from the US, and I've not yet received the parcel from Adelaide, less than 100 kilometres South of it.

This was indeed the reason why I rang Michael, to request a search from his side. While on the phone, he mention the possibility of me visiting the Adelaide shop, and have a look at some lathes, including some of these Jet lathes, so it makes me believe, that we maybe have a Jet agent in SA after all ???
I told Michael when I ordered the chuck that,
"I would like to visit your shop, but at the same time, if I do it now, I will be very disappointed, seeing all the things I like and want, and not having the money to buy them...! At near 50 years of age, I'm still like a little kid in a candy store, when it comes to "tools shop's".

I feel that I should visit Michael, it seams to be a fair bloke, and try to work out what I can get and how I'm going to pay for this new lathe, with my great financial limitations living on a disability pension.
Anyway, hope that the chuck arrives soon, so that I can try it on my very "wobbly" GMC lathe. The Digital Moisture Meter works very well, I tried it on various peaces of timber and it read well. Most of "dryish" the timber I got for firewood read about 20%, green and wet pine I cut a few days back reads about 32 to 38%, some peaces of 100x100 mm I got from the hardware store (for turning), read about 15 to 17%, and the vase I made last week out of a peace of old red-gum from hell, it measured 6% moisture.

I knew that the timber was dry, but after all the trouble I had to finish it,( pics on previous thread), a couple of days ago my wife got the vase that was seated on the top of the TV, and show me the "big smile" that the vase developed!!! actually it was a few smiles, the biggest one is a crack right trough the middle of the "belly" near half a inch wide, my little finger fitted in!
So now, I call it the "fluted red-gum vase from hell"!.
Isn't 6% moisture content in wood, and ideal stage to have it turned safely???
Well, bugger me...!!! hahahahahah

Cheers
GV

rsser
29th June 2007, 07:19 AM
GV, the moisture meter needs to be calibrated according to the density of particular timber species to read accurately.

Apart from that, yeah, redgum can crack when it's dry since removing timber can change the internal stresses.

BANNED
2nd July 2007, 02:01 AM
Hi rsser,
Yes, you right about the level of accuracy, one can get with these new gadgets, but it's accuracy is well inside of what I was looking for, and maybe well above of what I was expecting, in it's price range.

Well, about my famous "fluted red-gum vase from hell", nothing it will do, I will be surprised with, anymore. Talking about timber been alive, 20 or more years, after been cut and left in the paddock to rot...!!!??? :no:

Cheers
GV