PDA

View Full Version : How Much Obsolete Crap Software Do You Keep

echnidna
24th June 2007, 11:27 AM
I've got 4 drawers full of cd's most of which are only worth using as frisbees.

Why won't I throw them out? :rolleyes:

How much you got? :wink:

Groggy
24th June 2007, 11:34 AM
Hmmm. 6 pcs, three laptops, two PDAs on the network. One tall cupboard full of (? what IS in that cupboard?) important things, two desks with the drawers crammed full, one large plastic box in the shed full of overflow.

Had a large garage sale last year and sold a bunch of stuff to people who I can only assume collect junk worse than I do. :-

Barry_White
24th June 2007, 12:02 PM
I've got 4 drawers full of cd's most of which are only worth using as frisbees.

Why won't I throw them out? :rolleyes:

How much you got? :wink:

Bob

You only got CD's

I've got three big boxes of 3 1/2" floppies and a big box of 5 1/4" floppies besides four desk drawers full of CD's

All the 3 1/2" floppies are 90% dos programs and the 5 1/4 floppies are CPM programs.

I've been hanging onto them in case the operating systems come back into vouge.

JackoH
24th June 2007, 12:52 PM
Inlay them in a nicely turned clock face, looks real good, or in the bottom of a bowl.
Hang 'em in the fruit trees to keep the cockies a ways, doesn;t work but an interesting look and the cockies seem to appreciate your efforts to entertain them.

Grunt
24th June 2007, 01:49 PM
I have moved too many times to keep crap. Every time I move, I get brutal.

Groggy
24th June 2007, 01:59 PM
I have moved too many times to keep crap. Every time I move, I get brutal.My next move is #41, I haven't managed to get rid of anything yet, in fact, I usually keep a few of the removalist's boxes for holding more stuff :-,

I've got three big boxes of 3 1/2" floppies and a big box of 5 1/4" floppies besides four desk drawers full of CD'sYou threw away your 8" floppies then? They'll be back in vogue one day too you know...Give me a yell if you need one :; .

Doughboy
24th June 2007, 02:46 PM
As soon as we upgrade hardware or software in the House of Smith the 'leftovers' are disposed of.

No room in my life for 'what ifs' or 'one day' except of course in the shed!

Next in line for us is laptop upgrades.

Barry_White
24th June 2007, 02:50 PM
You threw away your 8" floppies then? They'll be back in vogue one day too you know...Give me a yell if you need one :; .

Never had an 8" floppy system otherwise I would still have them.

Still got my CPM system though and it still works. Trouble is that I don't have a printer that will work with it. I have thrown them all away although the old Canon 4100 dos printer may work with it because I still have the old printer lead that plugs into the computer. The original printer lead was a 25 wire flat cable.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
24th June 2007, 04:11 PM
As I showed in another thread, I still have around ten of the old Amiga 500 & 1200s, and a couple of Ami 2000s. Oh... and a Vic-20 or two, a C=64, a C=128 and a couple of Tandy TRS-80s but do any of them count as computers any more or are they just glorified calculators?

As for PC's, I threw quite a few of 'em out not long ago and these are all I have left. Well... apart from a couple on the network elsewhere in the house and several laptops. :rolleyes: The only reason the shown ones didn't go as well is 'cos they're still plugged in and I'm inherently lazy! :- (WARNING: The following graphics may cause distress to viewers of the "neat" persuasion.)

Scary office, isn't it? As for obsolete SW... I've still a few cubic metres of it to go out in the next couple of Council hard garbage collection days. They would've "forgotten" our house last time if I'd put it all out in hit. :rolleyes:

les88
24th June 2007, 05:22 PM
Is that going to be a museum?

Barry_White
24th June 2007, 05:45 PM
Scary office, isn't it? As for obsolete SW... I've still a few cubic metres of it to go out in the next couple of Council hard garbage collection days. They would've "forgotten" our house last time if I'd put it all out in hit. :rolleyes:

That is scary Skew. It looks like a Telstra call centre without the telephones.

echnidna
24th June 2007, 06:12 PM
Bob

You only got CD's

I've got three big boxes of 3 1/2" floppies and a big box of 5 1/4" floppies besides four desk drawers full of CD's

All the 3 1/2" floppies are 90% dos programs and the 5 1/4 floppies are CPM programs.

I've been hanging onto them in case the operating systems come back into vouge.

The floopies were deteriorating so I copied all the good ones onto cd's :rolleyes:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
24th June 2007, 07:29 PM
Is that going to be a museum?

Going to be? It practically is. :(

Harry72
24th June 2007, 10:19 PM
I got a fair old stack of games, about 150 I guess. Be nice to have the money they cost me, $80~120each sure by me a nice Felder saw!

Blocklayer
24th June 2007, 11:22 PM
I've turfed most of the old floppies and stuff, but one thing I do still have is the hand written (on paper) code for my old cbm 4016,
which was originally saved to cassette.
Funny thing is, that old code still runs pretty much as it was first written, just re-done in C#.
And its over 25 years old!

China
25th June 2007, 12:41 AM
Just one VISTA!

Fox3
25th June 2007, 07:34 AM
A lot of old m$ crap that I really should dump for the space. Hard to throw away something that I spent that much money on though:blond:.

MSDOS 2.0 through IBMDOS 7.0, Wincrap 2.0, 3.1, 3.11 (most of the floppies have read errors last time I checked (top quality m$ media)), 95, 98 and xp32 and 64, a pile of old CP/M and MP/M stuff for the Zorba in the closet (the modern 5.25" 300K media(DSDD!!!)! no more 8"). Most of that in a box somewhere in the storage room as of a few years ago.

I did get rid of the IBM 2311 and 2314 disks and all the 7 and 9 track tapes though, got that pile transfered to CDs which now take up about 5 CDs rather than about a 1' or so stack of tapes :-. I now have all the important mainframe stuff running under the Hercules emulator running under the Turnkey MVS 38J. Runs faster than it did on the original hardware!

Also got rid of that AB Dick monster with the 68000 and the 14" drives that filled up the closet. Once found a complete IBM S/360-30 in a dumpster (no peripherals) and that was hard not to bring home :-. Did get the front panel off of it and wired up some discrete logic to make the lights flash as it hung on the wall of the den :-.

Did get rid of all the Mac machines and the associated diskettes and tapes though.

Then there is all the old and mostly obsolete microcontroller stuff...

Now the only important stuff in the archives are the backups and linux distros I have archived. Could well get rid of a lot of that now.

Hummm, just how much closet space could I recover....

Yes, I do think I just might be a pack rat :D and a computer addict :2tsup:.

I went back an re-read this post and I think I scared myself :oo:!