View Full Version : new turning 2

littlebuddha
25th June 2007, 04:20 AM
Sorry missed out the pics

Acaccia sizs: 10cm x 18cm

http://shapewood.co.uk

littlebuddha
25th June 2007, 04:23 AM
Sorry guys i mest up, this is my new turning above, made for wifes mums birthday on tuesday, hope she likes it.

http://shapewood.co.uk

Sebastiaan56
25th June 2007, 08:10 AM
I hope she likes it as well, I do,

Sebastiaan

joe greiner
25th June 2007, 01:06 PM
No doubt she'll like it. Well done, buddha.

And the finish is:?

Joe

Wayne Blanch
25th June 2007, 03:55 PM
Nice work Buddha!:2tsup:
Like Joe said - The finish?

Skew ChiDAMN!!
25th June 2007, 06:45 PM
:wts:

Personally I'd have like to see the finial a bit thinner, given the overall size you could've gotten away with it. But that's just me... I'm sure MIL will love it. :thyel:

littlebuddha
26th June 2007, 03:20 AM
Thanks guys, will drop it of tommorow so will know then. and as for the finial being a bit thiner, then mmmmmm, i just had the shape in mind and thats how it came, but i gen like thinner ones, going to do another something like this one and will make finial thinner maybe in a dif wood as well not to sure, the wife likes the one i done for her mum now wants one. never win, and she never pays, works the hell out of me.

DJ’s Timber
26th June 2007, 11:42 AM
Very nice, great form and finish.

The only criticism I have is that edge of the lid could have been shaped to follow the form of the box

OGYT
27th June 2007, 04:15 AM
Good show! If the wife likes it, it's perfect! And as far as workin' th' hell outta ya... just make her a little somethin' every week or so, and soon, when she hears you say you need sumpinerother, she'll be sayin, "You'd better get it then." :D Works for me!!

tashammer
27th June 2007, 05:05 AM
You have done a good job, be proud of it! Your finial is just the right size, as is the edge of the lid. It's your work, not theirs. They are just jealous that they don't have a flock of women milking them of creativity and labour. :-)

BANNED
27th June 2007, 11:54 PM
Sorry guys, new to wood turning, what in a heck is a the "finial"?
I tent to agree with tashammer, about the form and size littlebuddha gave to "his" peace, I like it also and the finish is very nice.
On the other hand, I believe acceptable, that other people can have an different idea of how a certain peace would be or have been finished, if they were the ones creating it.
Indeed, being able to discuss and share ideas, is not only healthy, but in this specific case (wood turning people), allow new forms and shapes to be created in the persons mind, as a result.
Most peaces are created without any "blue print" or any sort of template, they just take form by necessity (wood defects, etc), by style (normally perfected from experience), or by accident. I believe, most peaces come up the way they did, for no particular reason, the difference is that, some appeal to people, some don't, and that is how I see art.
By the way, all my peaces, even those that crack, twist and buckle from "here to China" are a work of art, to me...!!!
Cheers
GV

Skew ChiDAMN!!
28th June 2007, 12:39 AM
Finial [fin-ee-uhl]
–noun
Architecture. a relatively small, ornamental, terminal feature at the top of a gable, pinnacle, etc. an ornamental termination to the top of a piece of furniture, or of one part of such a piece. Typography. a curve terminating the main stroke of the characters in some italic fonts.

[Origin: 1400–50; late ME, deriv. of L fīnis end]

—Related forms
fin·i·aled, adjective

In this case, it's the pointy, sticky, handle(ish) type part on top of the pot. :wink: Sometimes they point downwards instead and then we call 'em a "drop finial."

littlebuddha
28th June 2007, 03:45 AM
Delivery success, loved it, one mother in law happy for awhile. Back and start pot 2. diff finny bit for the fussy guys out there. thanks for the comments guys.

BANNED
30th June 2007, 11:51 PM
Thanks Skew ChiDAMN, for your explanation.
I didn't look in the dictionary, as I thought that was one of those terms, created and used specifically among woodturners!

littlebuddha, congratulations on your success with your mother and law, the peace was really nice. I reckon, some mother's in law are easier to satisfy, than their own daughters...!, huh? (sometimes...):oo:

Cheers
GV

Skew ChiDAMN!!
1st July 2007, 10:37 PM
Thanks Skew ChiDAMN, for your explanation.
I didn't look in the dictionary, as I thought that was one of those terms, created and used specifically among woodturners!

I'm surprised it's not, actually. So many turner's terms are seemingly familiar words used in different context. eg. beads and coves.