PDA

View Full Version : Chamfer Plane (and Pic #1)

derekcohen
22nd August 2003, 04:59 PM
I recently made my first wooden plane, a chamfer plane.

I had looked for one for some time - cannot afford a Stanley #72 and kept being aced out on a Stanley #65 Spokeshave on eBay. In the end I decided to build my own. I looked over a few, including a traditional design which used a sliding block (through the vee-ed sole) as a depth device, as well as a Japanese version that used an adjustable chamfer. I thought all these too cumbersome and, frankly, clumsy designs. Inspiration came from a Japanese combined 30/60 degree chamfer plane I own.

Ironically, soon after making this I bought a #65 on eBay.

The plane was laminated from several Jarrah pieces. The sole is made of two separate 45 degree lengths. These were glued together to form a 90 degree V. This was supported at both sides and top with added Jarrah walls.

It functions around a 90 degree chamfered sole that also acts as a fence (see Fig 2). The laminated 2" blade was borrowed from a Mathieson woodie and is set at 20 degrees (see Fig 1). The key element is the 20 degree angled slice into the chamfered sole (Fig 3). This permits a variable setting for depth of cut. The mouth always remains tight and there is no chance for chatter.

In practice this plane is quite fantastic at producing smooth and accurate chamfers. No need for a router at all!!!!

Regards from Perth

Derek Cohen

derekcohen
22nd August 2003, 05:04 PM
Pic 2

derekcohen
22nd August 2003, 05:07 PM
pic 3

Theva
22nd August 2003, 09:45 PM
Derek,

Looks as a work of art or labour of love.

Cheers,
Theva

DarrenSmith
23rd August 2003, 08:24 AM
Derek
Beautiful piece of work , pretty and useful :cool:
How many different sorts of planes are there:confused:

In Awe
Darren

derekcohen
24th August 2003, 09:51 PM
Darren

A MUST-HAVE book, for anyone interested in hand planes is The Handplane Book by Garrett Hack.

250 pages filled with photos and history. Simply amazing and engrossing.

Regards from Perth

Derek