PDA

View Full Version : Recent Chunks for Critiques

OGYT
27th June 2007, 06:26 AM
Some recent turnings I'd like you gents to critique for me... just want to see if what you say is what I've already thought... so to speak.:roll:

Pic 1&2 Black Walnut Crotch Hollow Form 115mm x 130mm x 6mm thick. Finished with lacquer wash and buffed. (the white specks just prove that Texas is dusty) :sayitaintso:

Pic 3&4 Madrone Ring Box 115mm x 65mm x 3-4mm thick. Finished with lacquer wash and buffed.

OGYT
27th June 2007, 06:40 AM
Pic 1&2 This is a Black Walnut Pot Pourri Bowl from a crotch piece. Finished with Lacquer. 200mm x 70mm x 6mm thick.

Pic 3,4 & 5 Hackberry Hollow Form shows some nice grain... are those called eyes? or Spalting? (Thanks, Gil, this is what I got from you). 130mm x 115mm x 6mm thick. Finished with lacquer wash and buffed.

Richard Findley
27th June 2007, 08:57 AM
Hi OGYT,

Some good work there. I wondered what is lacquer wash? I use Melamine lacquer (usually thinned to 50:50 with cellulose thinners) Is it the same stuff with a different name from a different country? or is it a totally different product/way of using the product?

I like the ring box:2tsup: . I've made a few things with a straight/plain section and like the design. If I was to be critical then maybe make the finial and stem a little thinner?

Like the Hackberry with the spalting. We don't get Hackberry here in the UK.

I wonder if the Pot pourri bowl could do with a foot to make it look/feel a little lighter?

Keep up the good work, hope my thought are helpful for future designs:;

All the best,

Richard

OGYT
27th June 2007, 09:09 AM
Richard, the lacquer wash I mentioned is my own concoction of 25% nitrocellulose lacquer, and 75% lacquer thinner. It penetrates and seals, but it doesn't seal it so tight that it won't take an oil finish after sanding. It does seal it enough that CA glue won't stain the surrounding area when sealing cracks with it. It's gettin' hard to find nitrocellulose lacquer here in the states... most of it here is acetone-based now.
I also thought about making the stem of the ring box a little thinner, but being Madrone, I figured it'd break too easily. The lid pops when you take it off, so I thought the same about the knob on it.
And your comment on the PP Bowl is what I thought about it ... after I finished it... it looks like it sets heavy, don't it?

TTIT
27th June 2007, 09:22 AM
All good stuff I reckon Al:2tsup: 1st form - maybe char the natural edge? Ring box - consider it stolen, with slightly smaller finial/stem - I can see a series of these forming already. Pot pourri bowl - a bit big for pot-pourri maybe but looks fine. Hackberry - hmmm - she'll do!:U

OGYT
27th June 2007, 09:54 AM
Vern, I value your comments... what a great idea for the natural edge!
Mate, I visited your Website last night. Awesome doesn't do it justice. I like the design of it, and the info that's available. It oughta go into the AAW list of must-visits for woodturners. Good on ya!

TTIT
27th June 2007, 12:59 PM
Vern, I value your comments... what a great idea for the natural edge!
Mate, I visited your Website last night. Awesome doesn't do it justice. I like the design of it, and the info that's available. It oughta go into the AAW list of must-visits for woodturners. Good on ya!Thanks for the comments re: the website Al. Just signed up for a new connection today so I can move it to a bigger home soon and get the rest of the trees in there and some more detail on the gadgets etc. Will let you know when it's moved.

joe greiner
27th June 2007, 03:13 PM
Great work on all of them, Al.

The ring box has a nice classical form, and perfect proportions on the lid. Only thing I'd do different would be to make the foot more of a reflection of the underside of the box, i.e symmetrical about the bead. Personal taste only.

Spectacular finish on the PP bowl. I agree with Richard; a wee foot, maybe only 1-2mm high, would give it more of a "levitated" appearance.

Joe

Skew ChiDAMN!!
27th June 2007, 04:23 PM
I found myself nodding in agreement while reading Vern's post, although I rather like the natural edged bowl just the way it is. At first sight it gave me itchy fingers, wanting to pick it up...

ticklingmedusa
27th June 2007, 05:53 PM
Nice work all the way around Al.
I'm especially partial to the madrone ring box and a little envious of the
pop you get with a snug fit.
I hope the knee is healing fast and glad it didn't cramp your turning style
too much.
tm

Gil Jones
28th June 2007, 12:03 PM
Nice work on them all, Al. :2tsup:
Of course it helps to have cool wood from Georgia. :roll:

Caveman
29th June 2007, 12:29 AM
Hey Al - :2tsup: all round - real nice. I particularly like the walnut HF.

BernieP
29th June 2007, 07:21 PM
G'Day Al

All very nice but really like the ring box. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers
Bernie

cedar n silky
29th June 2007, 09:21 PM
All realy nice work, Al. Is hackberry soft? Looks a bit like our red cedar in grain. I really like it:2tsup:

OGYT
30th June 2007, 03:00 PM
I hope the knee is healing fast and glad it didn't cramp your turning style too much. tm
Healing was going fine, 'til I got the staples out. Put on Jeans, Put on the new chaps, Sawed some blanks, Knelt down, and felt a sting. :(( It tore open on the lower end (where the chain had made it's entrance). Now I keep it clean, and tape it shut and wear short pants 'til it's healed. (Ya oughta see me in my fire boots, and bunker coat, operatin' th' pumper... look like a gray-bearded flasher):oo:

At first sight it gave me itchy fingers, wanting to pick it up...
Thanks, Skew, C'mon upover, 'n you can turn one like it on th' OW. Open invite.

Only thing I'd do different would be to make the foot more of a reflection of the underside of the box, i.e symmetrical about the bead.
I agree with that Joe, that's one I hadn't thought of.

Of course it helps to have cool wood from Georgia.
True, true. Wish I had a bunch of that got burned.:no:

Is hackberry soft? Looks a bit like our red cedar in grain.
It's fairly soft, but not as soft as Aromatic Cedar... (don't know if that's the timber your talkin' about). The darker grain is harder than the light, so it's easy to get tearout, and you need to be careful sanding, so you don't get wavy wood. This is probably the 4th piece of Hackberry I've ever had, and it's all got a welcome surprise inside... the grain does something different every time.
Thanks, all, for your kind comments and critiques. They are all appreciated. Maybe I've learned something from you. :2tsup: Time will tell.