PDA

View Full Version : Want to try growing hops

Iain
27th June 2007, 09:14 PM
This is new to me and I'd like to give it a go, does anyone know of a hop supplier in Vic (I have done a google but to little avail), would ideally like Fuggles, Hallertau and Tetnanger.
I have plenty of room and if anyone is interested I am happy to share the proceeds of the plantings, not a commercial interest (yet) but just like to try my own.
If it's like home grown veges and herbs the difference could/should be amazing.
Thanks in advaNCE,(bloody caps lock and thick fingers.

ozwinner
27th June 2007, 09:17 PM
(bloody caps lock and thick fingers.

I pulled mine off and chucked it.

As for hops I cant see why not, they grow in our sort of climate.
So go for it.:cool:

Al :2tsup:

Iain
27th June 2007, 09:20 PM
I'm sue they will grow well, BUT WHERE DO I FIND THE BLOODY THINGS???
Sorry Mr Oz, didn't mean to shout, just getting a bit frazzled.

himzol
27th June 2007, 09:36 PM
Hi Iain,

You may have just missed out, Grumpy's were selling these earlier in the year.

http://www.grumpys.com.au/phorum/read.php?1,9431

Orders have now closed, I do know their source is in Tassie so maybe try down that way.

Also there is a Hop farm on the Alpine way just outside of Myrtleford/Bright they may supply some Rhizones on the side.

I've got some WUERTTEMBERGER and HERSBRUCKER on order and should arrive next month.

good luck with it,

H.

ozwinner
27th June 2007, 09:43 PM
I'm sue they will grow well, BUT WHERE DO I FIND THE BLOODY THINGS???
Sorry Mr Oz, didn't mean to shout, just getting a bit frazzled.

Google, ya cranky ole bugger.
http://www.grainandgrape.com.au/articles_other/hoprhizomes01.htm

Al :U

Andy Mac
4th February 2008, 03:48 PM
Hi Iain,
Just read this, it was something I considered briefly too. How did you go getting root stock for growing your own?
The thing that put me off a bit was this quote, from a book called "Self Sufficiency" by John Seymour:
"Hops like a deep, heavy, well-drained loam, and liberal manuring"I can probably attain that last bit, but the soil here is neither of the others...water-resistant powder, some clay with shallow rock!
He does go on to say "they will produce some sort of crop on most land, provided they are well dunged and land is not waterlogged, and if you grow your own hops for your own beer some sort of crop is all you need: you need pounds, not tons."
I guess I should go ahead regardless, provided I can get some root stock.

Cheers,

himzol
4th February 2008, 05:38 PM
You could always grow them in large pots. A good potting mix with some well rotted down manure.

H.

Clinton1
4th February 2008, 06:00 PM
Try here (http://www.diggers.com.au/)
:)

Bleedin Thumb
4th February 2008, 06:10 PM
I picked hops one season in Kent - second worse job of my life. They are very hardy plants like cannabis in many ways. You only want the female plants and its the resinous pollen from the flowers that you are after.

BTW they are also a bit like stinging nettles - they irritate the skin.

Infact my avatar is what we used to look like when we picked the rotten things.:D

himzol
4th February 2008, 10:21 PM
You can only grow them from Rhizones in Australia, only female plants are available...

Planting is generally done in mid to late July through to end of August @ the latest. Flowers mature about March through April..

Got mine growing in pots and over some bird netting which is protecting my vegies from the local wildlife. flowers started forming a couple of weeks ago and doing well.:)

H.