PDA

View Full Version : June Pen Swap pictures

Touchwood
2nd July 2007, 05:55 PM
I know June has begun, :o I also know I haven't made the pens for May :o BUT do we have a provider for June or shall I put up (or shut up)?:B

Obviously it will take a little while to get
1. answers
2. names in
3. wood off.

However, as I have only provided postage for wood so far, I am happy to chop some blanks and post ... providing I'm not stepping my size 10's on anyones toes. :no:

Well, time to show your stuff!!

The theme for all of those who missed out (!! )was non- wood embellishment.

Here are my offerings:

The first is just plain banksia (I resisted the urge to use the deco trim Skew:wink: )
the second is tuart with inserted 'yellow diamonds'
third woody pear with inserted gold bead
fourth banksia nut with glitter/glue

JD

Skew ChiDAMN!!
2nd July 2007, 06:50 PM
Well, time to show your stuff!!

Already? :oo: I thought we had another week to go! (Checks date... :B:doh: )

Skew ChiDAMN!!
9th July 2007, 06:13 PM
Okily dokily. I tried squeezing mine into lunch-break today, with so-so results. [sigh] I started off with the woody pear, banksia and banksia nut blanks all glued and prepped. For the nut I'd simply filled the eyes with black epoxy-resin (nothing ground-breaking there, but it looks good that way!) and I was very happy with it until I dropped it during assembly. Bye-bye banksia nut. :C

The other two I'd intended to run a gold wire inlay. The Woody Pear (I think) was meant to have two bands... I'm sure you can tell from thuis pic where they were:
Unfortunately, the only gold wire I have is very fine (26 gauge... bit it is 18carat gold from my jewellery making days! :thyel:) so actually wrapped twice around the pen in each of those grooves! If you look very carefully at the lower groove, you can see the hole the ends were glued in... with the ends of the wire still in there. Unfortunately, the wire was so thin'n'soft that if just plain snapped while sandingl... :B When I find some thicker wire, I'll rebuild this pen 'cos it did look nice until I started sanding.

The Banksia (again, I think... I might have the WPear and Banksia mixed up :rolleyes:) was also supposed to have wire inlays down the spirals.
However after the Banksia disaster I changed my mind. Seeing Toni's "grooved pen" earlier today I thought I'd try deepening the spirals and using either Vern's brass & CA trick, or perhaps some more black epoxy. Once I cut the grooves though, I decided I liked it just as it was.

Not the best pics in the world, neither pen is quite as bad as the photos make 'em look. One thing about using a flash is that it really highlights all the flaws, eh? Still, I'll let them stay as they are, warts'n'all, for now. When I get some heavier gauge wire, then I'll finish 'em properly. :roll:

With these results, I'm sooo glad I didn't do the Jam one today. [phew!]

lubbing5cherubs
9th July 2007, 06:47 PM
Gidday Skew Nice job
bye
Toni

dai sensei
9th July 2007, 10:00 PM
Like the theme, makes me want to get back in, but far too many other things to do at the moment.

Keep up the good work you lot, they are looking great and gives us all more ideas.

Touchwood
9th July 2007, 11:26 PM
The Banksia (again, I think... I might have the WPear and Banksia mixed up ) was also supposed to have wire inlays down the spirals.

The woody pear IS woody pear and the banksia IS banksia - you haven't mixed them up!:U

Like the spirial idea too.

I agree, if you are having 'one of those days' the jam was best left alone!!

JD

jess
15th July 2007, 09:58 PM
the forth one catches my eye,
maybe because it's shiny.
LOL
nice work touchwood!

ScrollZilla
16th July 2007, 11:48 PM
JD,
Those pens are awesome! I really like the Banksia on the far right the best.

Skew,
How did you do the spiral groove? Very intriguing pen.

Cheers

Rick

Skew ChiDAMN!!
17th July 2007, 02:38 AM
How did you do the spiral groove? Very intriguing pen.

I cheated... tunred the blanks then drew the spirals in with a pencil and scored 'em out with a cutoff wheel in a Dremel. :rolleyes:

It's quite a tactile pen, feels good in the hand, which IMHO is unusual for a slimline.

ScrollZilla
17th July 2007, 05:15 AM
G'day Skew,
Thanks for the tip. I don't see how that is cheating though. Maybe since I can't draw a staight line using a ruler, I can do spirals??????

Cheers,

Rick

Skew ChiDAMN!!
17th July 2007, 04:31 PM
Maybe since I can't draw a staight line using a ruler, I can do spirals??????

Spirals are easy to mark out. I use two methods, depending on my mood at the time.

I use either a piece of string or a thin strip of paper, tape one end to the mandrel and wrap it around the blank in a spiral pattern, taping the other end when finished. This is my preferred method because you can "see" the spiral before you mark it out, and can make adjustments to get it exactly how you want it before even picking up a pencil. :thyel: Using a ruler, draw a line down one side and mark out every 1/2" or whatever spacing I want the spiral. Turn the blank over and repeat. Sometimes I'll use intermediate lines, too. Then it's a case of playing "join the dots." This method is less intuitive, as you can't see what the spiral will look like until you've marked it out and is really only good for when you want the spirals evenly spaced. :shrug:

Touchwood
22nd July 2007, 01:30 AM
OK so where are the other June Pens??

I am suffering withdrawl of The Monthly Pen Challenge ... :( ..... my life is not quite the same without the mental planning before the excecution :? ; the stress and uncertainty wondering will it work :o .. the relief if it does :U .. the rethinking of how you could do it better :; waiting (if organised enough) to post it on that last day of the month .... aaarrgghhhh :oo:

JD

Skew ChiDAMN!!
22nd July 2007, 02:53 AM
I've been wondering the same thing. :~

BTW, I've found some suitably sized wire to finish mine... 'tis only copper though . I'll hold off using it for a bit longer in the hope I can find some brass or (wishful thinking) gold wire instead, but I suspect that copper will be the go.

Barry_White
22nd July 2007, 01:00 PM
I've been wondering the same thing. :~

BTW, I've found some suitably sized wire to finish mine... 'tis only copper though . I'll hold off using it for a bit longer in the hope I can find some brass or (wishful thinking) gold wire instead, but I suspect that copper will be the go.

Hi Skew

Is this any help.

http://www.beadworld.com.au/Products.aspx?categoryID=528

Skew ChiDAMN!!
22nd July 2007, 05:01 PM
Is this any help.

http://www.beadworld.com.au/Products.aspx?categoryID=528

Hmmm... interesting link, Bazza! Unfortunately, those are just copper wires with a polynylon enamel coating, so any sanding, etc. will quickly strip the colour and bring it back to copper. :(

But I may just fire an order off for a variety of spools anyway, as the price is right and I've other uses for coloured wire besides turning. :) Thanks for pointing it out!

Simomatra
29th July 2007, 12:08 PM
Finally home

JD

Great set of pens you have definitely set a standard to chase

Skew

Nice work mate like your spirals

I had better get into the shed soon and start catching up, after I have got rid of the jet lag that is

Simomatra
9th August 2007, 12:08 PM
This is my attempt at the Grevilia others still to come. I tred to add gold flecks into the finish but alas it did not work . Backto the drawing board

Photos are loosing some in the resize

Touchwood
11th August 2007, 01:40 AM
mmmm... didn't send any grevillia, thinks it might be woody pear!!:wink:

Good to see you getting into the shed, look forward to seeing the rest of them as they are born!

JD

Simomatra
24th August 2007, 04:06 PM
Starting to catch up

Here is my attempt t the woody pear with an acrylic centre band and a heart for embelishment

Jenny the last one was the bankasia I have discovered

Off to the next one ho hum lots of fune and learning new things

Touchwood
25th August 2007, 07:27 PM
The centre band nearly glows - the heart is a trick shape to cut in! Well done

JD

Skew ChiDAMN!!
25th August 2007, 08:23 PM
I think I'd like to see that pen up close 'n personal. :)

Simomatra
4th September 2007, 02:59 PM
Benn along time getting there still one to go. Tuart but here is the Jam set in a slimline with a blue acrylic band.

Not a really good picture I am afraid. One of my sons partners took it yesterday for her father. Apparently he was very pleased

This is the last for a while go in for the op in the morning