PDA

View Full Version : Carpenter's Brace

Markw
25th August 2003, 12:37 PM
As a purchasing Engineering Officer with an Electricity Distributor, I am trying to locate a source of high quality carpenter's braces. We use these braces to hand drill a 14mm hole in iron bark telegraph (transmission) poles.

We are unable use power style drills (battery or mains) as we need to feel when/where the rot or infestation starts and stops. Very aggressive boring bits are required to drill the hole, yet a delicate hand is needed to determine the extent of the problem.

In previous years, Stanley manufactured a reasonably good quality brace in both a 200mm and 300mm swing, but alas this product is now only produced in a handyman quality. This is a result of the influx of higher powered re-chargable drills on the market.

If anyone has any thoughts on alternatives which can still be sourced both here or overseas would be greatly appreciated.

barnsey
25th August 2003, 03:07 PM
Mark

Collns Industrial Distributors still show them on their website

Collins Industrial Distributors (https://catalog.obitrade.com/products/3/Tools%2B-%2BHand/Braces/Bit%2BBraces/2.152/SLY02.152/Bit%20Brace%20(144N)%20-%20Universal%20Jaw%20300mm.phtml)

I used to work for Stanley in Heidelberg West in Melbourne. If you ring them and talk to their Products department and you have a rough idea of the quantity you might purchase in a year they should be able to help.

HTH

Jamie

Markw
26th August 2003, 04:27 PM
Jamie
Thanks for the response. We use Blackwoods as our "Stores" system for tools - and the first place they went to was back to stanley. Stanley aren't interested in such a small market even if it meant 20 or 30 units per annum, and we're willing to pay a premium.

Unfortunately the link to collins ind. is the same unit which is discontinued.

I was hoping that there may be some small US or UK company still producing as a niche product for the traditionalist market.

with thanks
Mark
:cool:

Leigh
26th August 2003, 07:06 PM
Lee Valley in Canada have braces available. See http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?page=32300&category=1,180,42337&abspage=1&ccurrency=3&SID=

Or go to the mian site and search under woodworking and drills.

They list two: a hobby and professional version.

I have not bought a brace from Lee Valley but have ordered and purchased other items via the internet with no problem.

rodm
27th August 2003, 02:40 AM
As an alternative you could try an Increment Borer. These are used in the Forest Industry to obtain a core sample from a tree.
They have an auger style head with a Tee Handle but it has a hollow shaft and the core material is removed for aging the tree and examining condition of timber. Try Forestry Suppliers like Forest Products International (they used to be in Canberra) or New Zealand or Canadian Forestry Suppliers.

cheers,
Rod

Markw
1st September 2003, 02:21 PM
Thanks to all who replied.

Rodm,
Have considered this type of equipment but unfortunately transmission poles are extremely hard especially when old and dried out. The equipment you have mentioned can only be used on green timbers and preferably softwoods (pine).

again thanks to all

Mark

Iain
1st September 2003, 06:53 PM
True Value Hardware have a brace for about $40.00, saw it last week as I am about to embark on too much fencing.
Cannot recall who made it but seemed reasonable quality.

re do 4 u
3rd September 2003, 06:12 PM
the next step up is an attachment to fit on a chainsaw. this is used in the fencing trade quite alot where there is no power. i have only seen them used, and they seem to turn quite slowly so they should be quite easy to use. might take a bit of skill to use as you described, but if you have seen blokes using a chainsaw to do sculptures, anything is learnable( is that a real word??) otherwise try secondhand/antique stores. i buy a lot of tools this way, and good quality tools can be found if you know what brand names to look for.