PDA

View Full Version : Promised pics

rsser
4th July 2007, 05:51 PM
... of lumps generously organised by forum peers.

First two of Rose Sheoak from a swap with Reeves.

Lovely flecks. The piece wouldn't allow aligning of peaks with heartwood but it was fun to turn nonetheless. About 6" wide, finished with DO.

Second two of a bit of Burl Musk picked out by ptc. It's taken a while to feel my way into the design of this one. As you can see, it's rough turned. Was very heavy and very wet, and a day in plakky (.. thinking it might have been like Myrtle which cracks before you look at it) gave it spots of bluestain already. The subtle colours and birds-eye figure don't really come through in the pics. It's about 10" wide, and looking at the pic it's too deep but that can wait.

Thanks John and Peter; much appreciated.

scooter
4th July 2007, 07:46 PM
Looking good, Ern, that sheok is speccy, isn't it?

TTIT
4th July 2007, 07:57 PM
That rose she-oak :2tsup:- mmmmhhhh! - reckon it will hold the bark indefinitely Ern???
Never heard of t'other one :shrug:

Harry72
4th July 2007, 08:50 PM
That figure is awsome, nice work too.

hughie
4th July 2007, 09:58 PM
Ern,

Great looking Sheoak bowl, reckon CA will take care of any loose bark....:;
CA is like the shifta of the wood working world...:U :U

Musk glad to finally see a piece..not sure if I like it or not :? might agree with you on the depth, maybe some snappy rim work might do the trick..sorta take the eye away from the depth, depth is always useful.

be interesting to see the final out come

BANNED
4th July 2007, 11:27 PM
Hi rsser
Those are some nice peaces!
I have yet to make a peace leaving the bark edge on, I got some logs that I will try to create some of those style peaces with, will see.

I always wondered, what would be the most efficient way to make sure, the bark stays on?

Cheers
GV

rsser
5th July 2007, 09:49 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Sheoak was dry and bark showed few signs of lifting. Did use dribble or two of CA where there was a gap - that's the only way I know GV. Only drawback is that you can easily end up with a dark line btwn bark and wood that looks odd, so best to minimise it if you can.

Agree with the need for a rim treatment Hughie. Will need to reduce the height to the extent I can and then maybe look at a stepped-out band in much the same flow as the ogee wall.

reeves
5th July 2007, 10:51 AM
Ern, that Sheok natural edge bowl has come up really nice, tasty design and u have done good job of making something cool from a tricky chunk of wood. The form of the musk bowl is really nice as well.

Yr 20 kg box is coming together, sorry for any delays, things have been pretty busy round these parts but i have an old microwave box i am dropping those species discussed chunks into so should get around to taking to the PO next week sometime..

BTW anyone else interested in the Rose Sheok for trade just PM me, still got a fair bit of it in sizable pieces an am taking the chainsaw to some fresh logs that fell down the back of my place last week...

cheeeers
john

rsser
5th July 2007, 02:13 PM
Hi John,

Thanks.

Let me also send you the sheoak bowl as a thankyou for the timber. It'd be my pleasure.

Gil Jones
5th July 2007, 02:49 PM
Hi Ern,
That natural edge Rose SheOak bowl is a very fine piece of work, and beautiful wood!! Well done>>>:2tsup:

reeves
5th July 2007, 06:46 PM
Hi John,

Thanks.

Let me also send you the sheoak bowl as a thankyou for the timber. It'd be my pleasure.

Ern, thanks for the offer but its yr bowl mate.

I'll suss out a decent non split (yes in the sheok) chunk for yr box..

cheeeeers
john

Caveman
5th July 2007, 06:47 PM
Lookin' good Ern. Really like the N.E. bowl - is unusual to see one that is fairly 'flat' across the top (at least I've not seen too many), they usually dip quite a bit on 2 sides (following the log shape) - must've come from a bigger log.
Hope to see the musk bowl again once dried and re-turned.

What's the botanical name for Rose Sheoak? I don't really enjoy common names as they are different in different parts of this little planet of ours (confusing) - at least the botanical name stays the same all over.
We have Casuarina cunninghamiana (exotic) and Casuarina equisetifolia (indigenous) over here, but I'm guessing it's not one of them.

reeves
5th July 2007, 06:53 PM
caveman it's
Allocasuarina torulosa
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/f/f9/Sheok_1_localsmaple.jpg/200px-Sheok_1_localsmaple.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allocasuarina_torulosa

yes that chunk came from an old tree that fell in a storm down the back of my place, probably one of the biggest rose sheoks i have seen trunk diameter terms...most of the standing ones are smaller than that..

Caveman
5th July 2007, 07:15 PM
[quote=reeves;540564]caveman it's
Allocasuarina torulosa quote]

Thanks Reeves - sure is lovely looking timber.

rsser
5th July 2007, 10:46 PM
Hey John,

If you like it, say yes.

The missus reckons there's enough bowls on display in the house - well ... those aren't quite her words ;-}

No sweat either way.

Thanks for the pic and the tech name. Lovely stuff to turn.

reeves
6th July 2007, 12:12 AM
Ern yes i liked the bowl nice work. Wife likes it too.

And she makes generous comment about the amount of wood stuff i have hanging around the lounge room too, have also given most of my bowl workings away so more are always welcome.

ptc
6th July 2007, 11:58 AM
Ern.
looking forward to seeing the Musk finished
looking good to me.

rsser
6th July 2007, 03:16 PM
Peter, it gets a paternal once over a couple of times a day. So far so good ;-}

OGYT
7th July 2007, 09:25 AM
Nice Sheoak bowl, Ern. Her Majesty says it looks like you've been pickin' some o' our blackberries in it. :) Awesome grain!
I like the subtle ogee profile on the Musk, too. To me it looks good, deep or no. Hard to do that subtle shape well. You did.

rsser
7th July 2007, 09:36 AM
Thanks Al.

Blackberries huh? Nice image.

As for the musk, the form may survive the drying and finish turning. We'll see. Never count my curves before they hatch ;-}

I just put a handle on my new Ellsworth signature gouge and am keen to see how she performs. The text instructions were close to incomprehensible so I emailed a complaint to Crown Tools copying David Ellsworth in. He replied within a day sending a couple of pages of useful diagrams. Pretty impressive.

rsser
8th July 2007, 01:57 PM
Last one - bit of Shedhand's myrtle burl. About 9" wide.

(Have a look in your shed for the missing bit mate).

Added: as you can see the rim thickness is too great. Don't need the Raffan bandsaw cut to show it up in this case ;-}

cedar n silky
8th July 2007, 08:09 PM
Hi John. A lovely bit of Rose She Oak, and Ern certainly did it justice!:2tsup: I checked the site you posted John, and presume it is the same "Forest Oak" I have around these parts? I might have to get up "beyond' the National park, and find a bit!:D

cedar n silky
8th July 2007, 08:12 PM
Last one - bit of Shedhand's myrtle burl. About 9" wide.

(Have a look in your shed for the missing bit mate).

Added: as you can see the rim thickness is too great. Don't need the Raffan bandsaw cut to show it up in this case ;-}
Lovely bit of wood Ern. You could call it "Australia" The missing chunk looks remarkably like the outline of Aus, minus QLD, NT and the top of WA.:D

Manuka Jock
8th July 2007, 08:25 PM
Lovely bit of wood Ern. You could call it "Australia" The missing chunk looks remarkably like the outline of Aus, minus QLD, NT and the top of WA.:D

The chunks' not missing folks , its' around the rim , having a break from the tropical heat maybe :U

rsser
8th July 2007, 10:36 PM
Dab hand with photo manipulation Hector.

Must try and find that bit and put it in my pocket ;-}

Suspect its 'dark' though.