PDA

View Full Version : Fabulous failures

Sebastiaan56
10th July 2007, 09:03 AM
Hi all,

cruising the french links found on the pen forum I found this page http://scalaire00.free.fr/images/oops/index-eng.html I thought this stuff only happened to me :rolleyes:. Are there any other photos out there? I must admit that I havent recorded my more dramatic learning experiences,

Sebastiaan

TTIT
10th July 2007, 02:28 PM
Just had 10 days off and spent most of it moving wood around but did get to the lathe occasionally. 2 years since I went through the bottom of a form and I managed to leave less then 0.5mm on a very special piece - didn't realise until I finished sanding ("ooh - whats that shiny thing in the bottom - chuck jaws Bozo!").
Then I managed one I haven't ever done before - came through the top :doh::doh::doh::doh::doh: - now it's a very drab, silly looking dish!

WOODbTURNER
10th July 2007, 10:01 PM
TITT
It must be catching.
Had a Magnolia log laying around the back yard for about five years and decided to use my McNaughton centre saver on it. It was the first time I got four bowl blanks out of one piece and could'nt wait to finish them.
The one in the photo's was reversed chucked and away I went turning the foot thinking I had heaps of thickness (No, not my head). The wood started making a funny drumming sound and sh.t!!. The lady next door was'nt too impressed with what I said.http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon8.gif
Anyway at least I will know better with the other three blanks.
Jeff

http://mt1.woodworkforums.com/images/attach/jpg.gifhttp://mt1.woodworkforums.com/images/attach/jpg.gif

Richard Findley
11th July 2007, 07:52 AM
Hi Guys,

Some interesting pictures on that link Seb! You've got to wonder what some of those guys were upto though haven't you:? ... I mean, we've all cut through the bottom of a bowl or 4:doh: , cut things a bit thin here and there:~ , or even had stuff fly across the workshop, occasionally leaving the odd scar in the plaster work:B ... but some of that stuff :oo: , broken tools, snapped banjo's and what the hell happened to that pen mandrel????:no:

Dangerous thing this woodturning... but what fun!!:2tsup:

Cheers, Richard

robynmau
11th July 2007, 01:15 PM
I have to say it is NICE to know others get up to 'mischief' as well as me:-

I reckon if turning wasn't so very addictive we'd give it up after some of the mishaps, eh:2tsup:

cheers

Robyn

rsser
11th July 2007, 04:51 PM
Robyn, I reckon the possibility of mishaps keeps it interesting ;-}

Good link Seb. Good for a nervous laugh :rolleyes:

I once learned that HSS can slice shavings off medium-tensile steel jaws :oo:

ss_11000
11th July 2007, 06:34 PM
geez..i never new a mandrel can bend that way :rolleyes:

i've never stuffed up anything that bad, cept for this one time when i decided to try inside out turning and the thing broke apart:( and flew at me ( lucky i was wearing safety glasses:D )

cheers

joe greiner
11th July 2007, 10:47 PM
geez..i never new a mandrel can bend that way :rolleyes:

Sure can. With inadequate purchase on the tailstock, it's frightfully unstable; centrifugal force does the rest. Good thing it was soft enough to bend instead of breaking.

The outboard auxiliary banjo seems so flimsy as if designed to shatter. I have one like that, and it'll never see natural or artificial light. Look at the gear for a Nova or equivalent outboard tool rest. Big difference. The single broken banjo looks like a very serious catch did it in; BTDT.

I could've made about a third of those pics. In fact, .... ummm no, don't remember posting them after all.

Joe

reeves
12th July 2007, 08:44 AM
yeah tahts pretty interesting and funny. Most surprising one i had was when a piece of gidgee i was trying to make a goblet from exploded at 2000rpm when i hit a small split in the rim...didnt just break along the split or even shatter the rim, it actually exploded into a 100 bits and went flying everywhere leaving the splintered remains in the chuck..

OGYT
12th July 2007, 12:24 PM
Really interesting site, Sebastiaan. Thanks for reminding some of us of our pasts... :D
Joe, I have an outboard toolrest like that one for Old Griz. Matter of fact, the lathe looks like Old Griz, too. I've broken the regular banjo, and toolrest, but not the outboard one... (only used it once). All that was in my first year of turning... learning to turn without instruction is expensive.