PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw

macca2
29th August 2003, 11:43 AM
Hi, I too may be in the market for a bandsaw. I only have limited shed space and am only into hobby turning. Nothing big or adventurist and certainly no furniture etc.

I have seen in carbatec a BAS 250 which is not in the catelogue but looks exactly like a smaller version of the BAS 350 on page 40.

It has a 1/2 horse motor, 245mm throat and 120mm depth of cut.

Has anybody had any experience of this machine. Or any thoughts.

Thganks

Macca

:confused:

Toymaker Len
29th August 2003, 06:50 PM
Hi Macca, I had a little bandsaw like that first and it was a real nuisance because they will not run small blades. Somthing about the diametre of the wheels stressing the small blades as they go around a too tight curve. Personally I think that 14 inch wheels are the minimum because then you can run 1/8th blades, also 1 hp motors for when you are cutting out that six inch thick dry redgum blank to make that beautiful salad bowl... cheers.

GeoffS
30th August 2003, 09:22 AM
Len - will a 14" saw really rip 6" of redgum. If yes, which ones?

Not a reply to the thread but I just saw your comment.

Cheers

Toymaker Len
30th August 2003, 08:28 PM
Geoffs I didn't ever have trouble getting through thick or hard wood with my 14" saw so long as I went slowly and let the saw do the work. Where they would stuff up was when a piece of branch had a lot of tension in it and pinched the blade or when I tried to cut a piece that was too long and you find yourself steering it from three metres away from the saw. Worst of all when I had eyeballed a little log, figured I could split it, pushed it two thirds of the way through the saw then had it jam under the guides. Oh, and you can't back up because the cut has closed with several tonnes of force...so... hammer, chisel, handsaw, chainsaw... screw driver, wedges. I wore that saw out eventually.

GeoffS
31st August 2003, 12:10 AM
Len - I get the message - like most things, don't be impatient. May I ask - what type number/make etc is the bandsaw in question. Sounds like a tough one.

Cheers

Toymaker Len
1st September 2003, 09:55 PM
The saw in question was a very simple Hafco taiwanese model with a 1hp motor, solid steel guide blocks, the real basics. Best thing about it was that it had (has) four different size pulleys on the motor and on the drive wheel. This means that it can be slowed enough to cut metal. They dropped that feature from later models.

macca2
11th September 2003, 07:52 PM
G'Day len..........thanks for answering my question re small bandsaw.

Has anybody else run across this problem with 10" bandsaw.

I don't want to waste money if they really are no good but I do have a space problem.

As I said I have no ambition to take on large work (no 6" redgum)so 10" with 120mm depth would be ample if they don't have any inbuilt problems.

Macca

jcani4
30th January 2005, 11:28 PM
Len - will a 14" saw really rip 6" of redgum. If yes, which ones?

Not a reply to the thread but I just saw your comment.

Cheers
hi

i have a HAFCO 14" bandsaw - 3/4 hp motor fitted with a 3/8" 3 TPI blade

slices hardwood like butter - like anything just take ur time and let the saw do the work

thanks

justin