PDA

View Full Version : First goblet, in new SN chuck

scooter
12th July 2007, 01:11 AM
Gday

Got my new Supernova chuck today, prompt service from Jim Carroll at CWS as expected :)

Had a dip at my first goblet tonight, pics below.

Have been working on my back hollowing technique for a little while, a mate (thanks, you know who you are :wink: ) kindly loaned me a chuck that I managed to pull a couple of practice pieces out of ... :D

Hollowed this one out OK, then proceeded to cut the outside too thin & bang - lost the top. Thought "bugger it" & finished it off anyway.

Timber - unknown, scrap from a pallet at work. Finish - shellawax glow (kindly donated by Iain - thanks mate ) & EEE.

Height 115mm Top dia 55mm bottom dia 32mm Stem 6mm (nerve racking :D )

Thanks to Skew for the goblet instructions posted a while back - couldn't remember verbatim but basically trued up blank between centres & turned a spigot, chucked up & hollowed out bowl & finished inside, cut outside of bowl (and then some :D ) & finished it, bottom of bowl & ditto, stem & ditto, bottom of stem & base & ditto, parted off with skew & parting tool, sanded & finished base.

Couple of tool marks inside the bowl I couldn't sand out but happy with the rest otherwise.

Cheers..................Sean

Skew ChiDAMN!!
12th July 2007, 01:43 AM
I rather like the effect of the top... I might have to try one like that myself! :)

What's the bet that I can't pull it off deliberately? [sigh]

RETIRED
12th July 2007, 08:50 AM
Hard on the lips tho'.:wink: :D

TTIT
12th July 2007, 08:57 AM
Looks artistically intentional! Fill it with booze and hand it to someone you don't really want drinking at your place - they'll get the hint. Nice try Sean :U

OGYT
12th July 2007, 12:17 PM
:whs: I agree... artistically intentional.. I'm still a mite leery of trying a stem that skinny. Try another, Sean - that you can drink out of. :D

joe greiner
12th July 2007, 03:08 PM
What's the bet that I can't pull it off deliberately? [sigh]

How about trying to make two that match?:no:

Joe

arose62
12th July 2007, 03:45 PM
Or that are complementary on the edges.

That way you could stack them broken rim to broken rim, and have a "sphere-on-a-stick" type piece.

Cheers,
Andrew

DJ’s Timber
12th July 2007, 03:52 PM
At least you know that no one is going to pinch your drink :U

Allan at Wallan
12th July 2007, 05:08 PM
Very artistic even if it was by default.

Don't put drink in it and ask someone to
"gobble it" or they might never be able
to drink from a goblet again.

Stick at it and best of luck!

Allan

I am not at all worried about dying
... but just hope I am not there at the time:D

rsser
12th July 2007, 07:10 PM
'Lacy oak' goblet .. looks good. Every cloud ...

scooter
12th July 2007, 11:28 PM
Thanks, fellas :)