PDA

View Full Version : Metallic Finishes

Sue
16th January 2001, 05:37 PM
Can anyone recommend good fine particle metallic paint for spraying by gun. I want to paint mirror frames primed with lacquer but the paints I have used to date are too coarse or glittery. The best results so far have been with aerosol cans such as plasti-Kote and I would like to achieve a look similar to this.

Shane Watson
16th January 2001, 05:50 PM
Besides all the hobbiest products on the market, the best metallic finish will be achieved by using automotive lacquers. But they are veeerrryyy expensive and best used by a good gun hand. I would say that if you have achieved good results to your liking with a product you have already used or seen - stick to it! Better the Devil you Know!
Others may know of a cheaper solution for you!

HTH

Cheers

------------------
Shane Watson..

Combine Love & Skill & You Can Expect A Masterpiece!

Iain
16th January 2001, 09:53 PM
Glitter and Shellawax http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/wink.gif
Don't know much about spraying but doesn't the metallic content clog the nozzle?

Shane Watson
16th January 2001, 10:41 PM
Nah, The metalic particles are extremly fine and have no trouble getting through the nozzle of a correctly setup gun. I have sprayed pearl finishes as well. Now that stuff is fine. Thats why a good gun hand is almost a necesity as an extremly even coat needs to be applied otherwise you end up with patchy metalic highlights.
I have even seen real gold powder used to give a gold metalic fleck through some auto paints. Actually the latest product is a paint that changes colours, extremly expensive. The guy that owns Day Dream island up here just bought a new Lexus 4WD and had it repainted in this stuff. It certainly turns heads!

RETIRED
16th January 2001, 11:00 PM
Gooday,

Falcon ute up the road has the same paint job.

Interesting. http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/biggrin.gif

Wonder what colour is put on the rego.

------------------
Ian () Robertson
"We do good turns every day"

AlexS
17th January 2001, 07:32 AM
Some automotive supply places sell touch-up paint in small quantities. They also sell a gas propelled atomiser. I've had quite good results with this on small jobs (not woodwork), so suggest it's worth a try. Good luck.