PDA

View Full Version : Birdhouses

OGYT
16th July 2007, 03:01 PM
Seeing another man's birdhouse, inspired me to try a few. Mine aren't as pretty as his, but I sure had fun, and I even learned a little. :p
The darker ones are from English Walnut timber. The upper right is Apricot. Lower right is Bois d'Arc.
All of 'em except the Bois d'Arc have holes sized for Wrens. The little one's too small for anything but maybe a hummer.
All of 'em finished with two coats Spar Varnish, to hang outside. Insides clean, no finish.
Sorry about the gang-photo...:(

TTIT
16th July 2007, 04:43 PM
If my guesstimations on the size of these things is correct, you must have some damned small birds over your way Al !:o Trying to picture a budgie or a galah squeezin' into one and it just ain't happening :U. Nah, seriously Al, ya gotta find yourself some bigger birds - wouldn't be much of a feed in the ones that fit into those traps. :; They look good though - can't quite figure how you hollowed them? As me old mate Pauline would say, "Please explain?" :confuzzled:

ticklingmedusa
16th July 2007, 05:40 PM
If my guesstimations on the size of these things is correct, you must have some damned small birds over your way Al !:o Trying to picture a budgie or a galah squeezin' into one and it just ain't happening :U. Nah, seriously Al, ya gotta find yourself some bigger birds -

Hey TTIT, you're right we do have some tiny ones up here. Part of my day job involves knowing a little about birds. A House Wren is a tiny fella, just a shade over 4 inches long. In my area we have mobs of introduced non native wild parrots that plunder date palms and other fruit trees. No way one of those screamin banshees would fit in one of those.

Very nice work Allen. :2tsup:

hughie
16th July 2007, 09:14 PM
Al,

Some real fancy bird houses, 5th Ave up market specials:U

:2tsup:

Ruddy
16th July 2007, 11:11 PM
Hi Al.
I am impressed ..Very nice work...... I have to agree with TTIT about the size of the birds. I always thought things were bigger in Texas but the birds that would fit in those birdhouses would have to be tiny!

Ruddy

Gil Jones
17th July 2007, 02:04 AM
Allen, very neat bird cottages.
When word get around, birds will be lined up at your shed.

OGYT
17th July 2007, 05:08 AM
TTIT: can't quite figure how you hollowed them? As me old mate Pauline would say, "Please explain?"
The top end was in the chuck. I rounded the body enough to put a steady rest on it, then partially shaped the bottom (just undercut it about 15mm. If you'll notice on the bottoms of them, there are some burned rings. I held the parting tool at a 45 degree angle to the ways, and parted me a large cone out of the bottom. (The cone will become the bottom, so I saw off most of the point, so the inside bottom of the birdhouse will be flat.) I hollow out through the bottom opening. When I glue the bottom back on, I align the grain, and use the tailstock to center it. Then I finish turning the bottom, and burn some rings in it, to disguise the seam. Then I bring up the tailstock with a padded cone to fit over the knobbin on the bottom, remove the steadyrest and finish the upper portion. Last thing I do is bore the opening and stick holes, and apply the spar.
As far as the birds are concerned, I make the houses for the small ones. (the ones that make the music, not fer eatin' :eek:) Don't want those noisy big-uns hangin' round here. :) I've got a few larger houses (not turned) for the starlings and sparrows, already hangin'.
Kites and hawks don't nest in little houses, but they'll nest in your trees and then dive-bomb you when you walk by...

Ruddy, things are bigger in Texas... would you believe me if I told you those entry holes were 150mm in diameter? (nah... I didn't think so) :D

Gil, and tm, thanks for the comments.

Hughie... 5th Ave, huh? :) ... may take some to the next craft show... a friend says, "Those are art... they're worth at least a hundred each" I says "Pay me" she walks away... I'll let you know if they sell. :D

Sebastiaan56
17th July 2007, 12:41 PM
Cool birdhouses! Similar comments about the size I would need to build as the cats ate all the smaller birds in my area years ago, still would make great gifts for friends in less ravaged parts of Oz.

Sebastiaan

hughie
17th July 2007, 10:45 PM
friend says, "Those are art... they're worth at least a hundred each" I says "Pay me" she walks away... I'll let you know if they sell. :D

theres a great truth some where in that...:U

Lone Star State = Big Sky Country, how come you little itty bitty birds?

:U

ciscokid
20th July 2007, 09:54 PM
Those are fantastic!

rodent
21st July 2007, 06:44 PM
I like the design Al great christmas ornaments for the tree . Birds our fruit flys are bigger not to mention the mozzies . What kind of lacquer did you use ?

OGYT
22nd July 2007, 09:30 AM
I'd like to see what you Blokes are callin' birds. :) Remember th' rules... if it's a bird, it's gotta fly. :D
Rodent, I used Spar Varnish on the outside only. I don't put anything on the inside. The smell of the varnish will go away after a few days in the outside air.

Tornatus
23rd July 2007, 12:05 AM
I'd like to see what you Blokes are callin' birds. :) Remember th' rules... if it's a bird, it's gotta fly. :D

Here, Al - try these for size. They are Sulphur-Crested Cockatoos, and a number of them visit my backyard regularly to feed on the parrot seed (mainly sunflower seed) I put out for them and other local birds in the winter, when food is scarce. They stand about 60cm (2 feet) tall, with a wingspan of about 90cm (3 feet), and they are very vocal - their screech would waken the dead! They are very common around Canberra - you often see great flocks of 50-100 or more on the ground, feeding on grass seeds in open areas. They use the hollows in dead eucalyptus trees for nesting.

They can be a bit of a nuisance, as they are fond of chewing things with their very powerful beaks - Western Red Cedar siding on house roofs is a favourite target, as are the rubber seals in street lights. While driving in Canberra, we have often seen individual "cockies" (as we call them) dangling from the end of a torn-out light seal - they think it's great fun to prise out the end of the seal, then swing on it until it pulls free.

If you'd like something bigger, there are a pair of Wedgetail Eagles who live in the bushy end of our valley, and can sometimes be seen riding the thermals overhead. "Wedgies" are the largest bird of prey in Australia, and can reach wingspans of 2.5 metres (over 8 feet).

rsser
23rd July 2007, 09:31 AM
Nifty work Al.

Baths next? ;-}

OGYT
25th July 2007, 12:15 PM
Like the Cockatoos, Tornatus... my Son has one of those that goes everywhere with him... not quite that large, yet, but he's pretty close to a foot tall. We have some eagles, and kites, and buzzards, etc., but they're not the type one sees in their yards here. :D Good lookin' birds, those Cockies... It'd be nice to have 'em all over... even pesky as they are! :D
Ern: Baths next? ;-} <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->Might give it a try, Ern... maybe Ash, on a Mesquite pedestal? Hmmmm.... just thinkin' of the timber on hand...