PDA

View Full Version : paper station

robyn2839
16th July 2007, 10:57 PM
finally threw away the old tupperware tub and made this,i like the way its organised for a change and not have paper everywhere,bob

RufflyRustic
17th July 2007, 09:47 AM
Nice!!!!! :2tsup:

cheers
Wendy

ptc
17th July 2007, 02:45 PM
Where are the shavings ??

cedar n silky
17th July 2007, 05:17 PM
That's a nice system, Bob:2tsup:
I couldn't help but notice what looks like a bare fluro tube above your lathe?
I recently put a double fluro over my lathe that had a plastic diffusor cover as well. But not hapy with that I also made a cage of mesh around it, because "murphy's law" would seem that if anything comes adrift on my lathe it likes to go :aro-u: :D Apart from getting showered with glass, and the risks that go with that, it seems that there is a bit of mercury in them, although I am not sure how big a risk that might pose in the shed.:)

rsser
17th July 2007, 07:12 PM
Good idea Bob.

Where do you put the bits that are in use?

Cedar, yep, also got a 2x fluoro above the lathe. Never had a problem with breakages though. Have however put some aluminium flashing over them ... just slightly bent to hang there and sitting on top of the tubes ... to get more downlight.

robyn2839
17th July 2007, 08:24 PM
the bits that are in use i put on the box behind the lathe with the forstner bits in it, i then throw them out ,i usually end up with hundreds of bits of sandpaper if i dont, as for the flouro it is a pain in the butt, it is going as soon as i get one of those flexible type lights, also it is illegal to have a flouro above a lathe according to my electrician ,something to do with flouros strobing ,and giving the impression the lathe is stopped,bob h

rsser
17th July 2007, 09:25 PM
it is illegal to have a flouro above a lathe according to my electrician ,something to do with flouros strobing ,and giving the impression the lathe is stopped,bob h

Hmm, might account for some unplanned chips, or catches.

As if.

Your sparky is having a lend of you.

hughie
17th July 2007, 10:40 PM
lights, also it is illegal to have a flouro above a lathe according to my electrician ,something to do with flouros strobing ,and giving the impression the lathe is stopped,

Yep wot Ern said!
its not good practice cos at the right speed the lathe will look stationary around 3000rpm I think....jeez its been awhile since I had to do this sort of stuff.
Dunno my old MC1100 wont come anywhere near that speed :C :U

But the newer lights dont have this effect. Anyway I have a double 4" flouro I use...no probs to date either stobe effect or flying missiles..:U
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m3101/is_10_74/ai_83940304

Farnk
17th July 2007, 10:49 PM
Noice, v noice.
I've got a couple of carousels either side of the lathe for chisels, sandpaper organised in a drawer behind me under the rip saw bench and two 100w incandescent globes mounted over the lathe in a 20mm square mesh cage.

Never even thought of using a flouro...

Alastair
24th July 2007, 06:18 PM
the bits that are in use i put on the box behind the lathe with the forstner bits in it, i then throw them out ,i usually end up with hundreds of bits of sandpaper if i dont, as for the flouro it is a pain in the butt, it is going as soon as i get one of those flexible type lights, also it is illegal to have a flouro above a lathe according to my electrician ,something to do with flouros strobing ,and giving the impression the lathe is stopped,bob h

Hi All,

This thread inspired me to do the same, after years of "I must,,,,,,,,,"

My innovation is the bits of PET soft drink bottle stapled to the front, which gives me a spot to keep the bits of each grit "currently in use"

Regarding strobing, I have seen the effect, but it is not significant if you also have an alternate light source, eg daylight or incandescent as well.

In the background is my sanding lashup. Bit of flexible ducting I was given, I think from an extractor. A 1" RE magnet secures it to the lathe bed where I need it, and just adjust where you are sanding to direct most of the dust into the DC.

regards