PDA

View Full Version : Another goblet

scooter
20th July 2007, 06:06 PM
Gday

Doncha love days off?

Started mucking about hollowing this piece of cypress and ended up making a goblet.

It got the wobbles up when nearly finished, steadying by hand but still had my heart in my mouth.

Finished with shellawax glow & EEE. Need work on my finishing technique as well.

BTW, to attendees at Ern's turnfest who witnesed the horrendous chatter I managed to coax from the homemade ring tool while hollowing radiata, it cut a lot more cleanly in the cypress. Still hollowed most of it with the gouge though.

Shown with the ragged edge one for scale.

Cheers.....................Sean

Cliff Rogers
20th July 2007, 06:15 PM
:2tsup:

The foot looks a bit small, it might blow over in a breeze.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
20th July 2007, 06:16 PM
Love the stem, nicely proportioned. :thyel: I agree with Cliff about the foot though... I try to keep 'em the same size as the bowl, or just a wee tad smaller.

Radiata is an 'orrible wood to turn properly... I used to give my newbies a lump of it once they started getting cocky over the finish they were getting on Tas. Oak. It quickly knocked the wind out of their sails. :wink:

It got the wobbles up when nearly finished, steadying by hand but still had my heart in my mouth.

It's funny how quickly you grow blasé about this... but that's the part that got me hooked on goblets.

Wait until you turn one over 12" tall... then discover you need a hand to steady the bowl, another to steady the lash in the middle of the stem and a third to part off! :doh: Then you curse and swear and wonder why you hadn't set up the centre-steady which is just out of reach over there... but you also know damned well that the stem won't stand the forces involved in turning the lathe off and starting it up again, so have no choice but to try to steady the wobbles while hollering and yelling until SWMBO comes out to lend a hand... :B

patty
20th July 2007, 06:58 PM
my god it's the Holy Grail

No seriously nice job Scooter I wish I was half as talented with timber

Gra
20th July 2007, 08:07 PM
Good job Scooter.

PS. SHMBO likes the unnatural edge goblet, says it is for those times when you only want half a glass..:U

Allan at Wallan
20th July 2007, 08:22 PM
Nice work Scooter,

I am waiting for you to produce the other half
of the matching pair of shattered goblets.

Allan:D

I am not at all worried about dying
... but just hope I am not there at the time.

rsser
20th July 2007, 09:42 PM
Pretty schmick Sean, with that ring spanner of yours ;-}

Wish I could do half as well.

cedar n silky
20th July 2007, 09:55 PM
Nice one Sean.:2tsup:
I have yet to progress past the bowl and eggcup stage, but not long now, and I'm going to have a crack- excuse the punn!

scooter
20th July 2007, 10:22 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone :)

Had another look at the foot after Cliff & Andy's comments, yeah, could be a bit bigger, the photo's are a little deceiving too.

Ran out of inspiration when I got to the foot, thought "struth, whaddo I do here?" :D

Allan, hope I don't make the second ragged edge for a while :D

Cheers.....................Sean

ss_11000
20th July 2007, 11:17 PM
thats one nice goblet sean! well done mate:)
cheers

joe greiner
21st July 2007, 01:00 AM
Well done, Sean. Perfect proportions, and very nice work on the stem. I agree the foot could be a shade bigger, but perhaps you'll keep it indoors during foul weather.

Joe

OGYT
21st July 2007, 04:22 AM
Looks very well done, Sean. Better than any I've ever made.

Skew: Wait until you turn one over 12" tall...

Wish I could get some tutoring from you, Skew. Why don't you make a trip to the upover? :D The tallest I've ever made was about 125mm. I don't even know where to look to find the intestinal fortitude to try turning a goblet 12" tall.

JDarvall
21st July 2007, 07:35 AM
Looks very well done, Sean. Better than any I've ever made.

Me too. Like the stems profile. :2tsup:

DJ’s Timber
21st July 2007, 12:09 PM
Very nice work Sean :2tsup:, the stem looks great, I love it.

Also agree on comments regarding foot and congrats on not turning another ragged edge :q :U

rodent
21st July 2007, 06:24 PM
haw much does this one hold sean . The other one was only half a cup lol . But truly it's looking better ,i think you can see why skew has such an obsession with them , just try not to get into a rut on design. Remember the skys the limit then theres the stars .

rsser
21st July 2007, 07:27 PM
The 'lacy oak' was a p*ss elegant wine, or port, glass ... we proved it. Reckon they'd go like a bomb in craft shops.

scooter
22nd July 2007, 09:26 PM
Thanks for the kind comments, fellas :)

Cheers......................Sean