PDA

View Full Version : New sharpening Tool

Dusty
21st July 2007, 01:58 PM
Gidday, all.

I just recieved, via mail, from MIK my new sharpening tool. It appealed to me with it's simplicity, speed and size, making it excellent for using at work.

The following photo's outline how it works.

Cliff Rogers
21st July 2007, 02:11 PM
Interesting idea.... you do realise that somebody is going to tell you that honing along the edge is not right & that you should always hone across the edge. :D

Dusty
21st July 2007, 02:15 PM
Interesting idea.... you do realise that somebody is going to tell you that honing along the edge is not right & that you should always hone across the edge. :D

Yes. I did brace myself for that. Yet posted regardless. Shows my reckless bravery.

Groggy
21st July 2007, 02:22 PM
Interesting idea.... you do realise that somebody is going to tell you that honing along the edge is not right & that you should always hone across the edge. :DBut he is not honing, he is sharpening. Or does it come with a hone too?

Cliff Rogers
22nd July 2007, 12:17 PM
He could sharpen at 25° & then change grit & hone a micro bevel at 30°.

Groggy
22nd July 2007, 12:20 PM
He could sharpen at 25° & then change grit & hone a micro bevel at 30°.I think we're about to enter the

"at what grit do you start to hone debate again..." :rolleyes:

I haven't seen a diamond stone that can hone yet. Of course you are a turner, and anything finer than concrete may be called honing :D

Cliff Rogers
22nd July 2007, 12:59 PM
...I haven't seen a diamond stone that can hone yet. Of course you are a turner, and anything finer than concrete may be called honing :D
Where is that smiley with the finger...... http://www.ubeaut.biz/thefinger.gif
I use a 'Fine' (no flam'n idea of grit) red handled diamond 'hone' to shine up the edge a bit on my gouge, works for me.

rsser
22nd July 2007, 03:18 PM
... oh no, I'm outa here :p

MurrayD99
23rd July 2007, 12:28 PM
Snap. I just bought one too. It comes with a couple of different grit pads. You can buy a coarse pad and a 1200 grit one Got my chisels nice and square and sharp. I always used an Eclipse guide on an oilstone. This seems better. Mine is branded Trend and I got it in England for 44 pounds. Looks identical.

Dusty
24th July 2007, 11:07 PM
Snap. I just bought one too. It comes with a couple of different grit pads. You can buy a coarse pad and a 1200 grit one Got my chisels nice and square and sharp. I always used an Eclipse guide on an oilstone. This seems better. Mine is branded Trend and I got it in England for 44 pounds. Looks identical.

Good stuff, Murray
The first time I saw one advertised was in an English woodworking magazine badged as Trend equipment.

I'm delighted with it so far, as it's suits my needs and purposes for work perfectly.

L R P
10th August 2007, 06:07 PM
Hi All
Page 3 of latest woodsmith, no 55, top RH corner.
Looks like a great tool to keep an edge , like da butchers do.
Hope it's at Melb woodies show.