PDA

View Full Version : Jig for Notching Cabinet Doors for flush overlay hinges

silentC
3rd September 2003, 01:12 PM
I asked for it so I suppose I should post something...

I've got a few cabinet doors that I'm fitting flush overlay hinges to. There's two rows of doors, one on top of the other, and I don't like the amount of clearance you have to leave between them when using this type of hinge. I want to notch out the top and bottom for the hinge and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to make a jig or template to do it.

For anyone who doesn't know, flush overlay hinges screw to the back of the door at the top and bottom corners and the pivot protrudes over the top (or under the bottom) of the door past the front face so that they swing from the front rather than the back.

The notch needs to be about 6mm deep and is about 10mm wide at the front and 30mm or so at the back. I've attached a drawing.

I was thinking of a router template but there might be a better way. Any suggestions?

Dan
3rd September 2003, 02:15 PM
Looks like perfect router and template territory to me. I guess it would be neater to follow the shape of the hinge like you have drawn it, but if I understand correctly, maybe you could take a straight line between the 10mm mark at the front and the 30mm mark at the back which would make the template even simpler, but would remove a bit of extra material. I like that style of hinge also.

Dan

silentC
3rd September 2003, 02:33 PM
I guess I'll have a go at making a template. This'll be the first one I've made. What's the best material for making one?

I suppose the other thing I'll need is a way of supporting the router. I figure I'll make up a U-shape bracket out of scrap and clamp it to the corner of the door, then fix the template to it.

Hey, I might even post a picture of it so people get the idea.

I know this is probably a pretty lame example of "HOMEMADE TOOLS AND JIGS ETC." but I for one can use all the help I can get in this department and I'm hoping to get lots of neat ideas here.

silentC
10th September 2003, 11:21 PM
Here is my template. Note the selection of carefully aged plywood (this bit used to be a serving tray belonging to some forgotten relative, probably an antique, would be at least 60 years old). This pic shows the two components. The bit on the left slips over the corner of the door. The bit on the right is the template, which is screwed to the bit on the left. These are the technical terms. To do the other hinge, you screw part A to part B upside down.

silentC
10th September 2003, 11:22 PM
This pic shows the jig and template in place.

silentC
10th September 2003, 11:26 PM
OK, so it's a pretty crappy looking template but it did the job. Surprising, really.

ivanavitch
10th September 2003, 11:54 PM
I have previously used these hinges and set them in with just a tenon saw. I like using a router but sometimes it's easier to pick up the old hand tools.