PDA

View Full Version : new toys for the workshop

robyn2839
22nd July 2007, 11:49 PM
got 2 new tings for the workshop ,got a used dust extractor,1 hp, needlefelt bag,spare plastic bags,and got a set of brand new record chisels,$360 rrp $120 e-bay, good to use good chisels after using crap ones,and now with the dust extractor i can keep workshop cleaner , now all i have to do is run some ducting and some shut off gates ,shouldn,t be too hard i hope . bob

Tornatus
23rd July 2007, 12:24 AM
Good on ya, Bob - but can I suggest that you park that dust-bucket outside your workshop, preferably in the open air (I built a little platform for mine outside the garage/workshop). "Dust Collector" is a better name than "Extractor", because what it does is collect a lot of dust, capture the coarse & medium stuff, then pump the very fine (and most dangerous!) dust out through the bag and back into your atmosphere & lungs.
"Dust Concentrator" would probably be an even better name. If it stays inside, it will NOT keep your workshop cleaner, and can lull you into a false sense of security.

We have a large, red-lettered sign on the wall of our club shed, which simply says - DUST KILLS. As far as you possibly can, make it go someplace else.

rodent
23rd July 2007, 02:08 AM
try http://benchmark.20m.com/articles/BlastGate/blastgatebuilding.html
for a build your own ,:2tsup:

Rookie
23rd July 2007, 09:26 AM
Do some maths on the suction loss etc associated with ducting before you install any. Having your dusty extractor/collector/concentrator located in one place may mean some long runs of ducting, and at 1HP you may lose some suction.

I have a 1HP dusty and for this reason I haven't installed a fixed system. I still wheel mine from the lathe to the table saw etc etc. Oh all right. That, and laziness is the other reason.

dai sensei
25th July 2007, 06:08 PM
Don't you just love buying new stuff :2tsup:

I agree with Rookie, look at your runs and do some numbers, 1hp will struggle with any length. I have a 1hp running long pipes, cyclone and home made blast gates, but I opened up my blower in-take to help things. My web site has some details and links to Bill's (DC expert) site. You are also welcome to call in anytime your in the neighbourhood and check out my set-up to give you some ideas.

Cheers

OGYT
26th July 2007, 07:13 AM
Yep, it's fun to buy new stuff.
I like the idea of opening up the intake a littlle bit, helps to pull it a little farther, I think... I may have heard this somewhere... don't know for sure.