PDA

View Full Version : Drill Press Table

rodm
3rd September 2003, 09:30 PM
Quite often I need to drill holes at set positions and a good example of that is when drilling the 35mm hole for concealed hinges. The standard drill press circular table is difficult to set up with a fence and it offers little support for large work pieces such as cabinet doors.
I saw this years ago in a woodworking magazine and adapted it to my drill press. As you can see in the following photo there is ample support and the fence is adjustable by sliding in the grooves and it is secured by tightening with wing nuts underneath. I have a few fences made to suport work on edge as well as flat.
In the next post I will show the underside and how it secures to the rotary table of the drill press.

cheers,
Rod

rodm
3rd September 2003, 09:37 PM
A view of the underside shows a couple of pieces of MDF that have had a circle cut with a router to fit over the rotary table of the drill press. There is a cut out for the drill column to increase the table size and allow room for the fence slot to extend as far back as possible. There are also four pieces of timber (tabs) that are tightened by wing nuts and these sit under the rotary table of the drill press. Using this method the table can be removed or refitted easily. I have to remove the table to use the rise and fall winder on the column. This is not ground breaking stuff but it is a simple and effective accessory anyone can make to help them enjoy their hobby.
I hope this is the type of thing that indended for this forum.

cheers,
Rod

Glen Bridger
3rd September 2003, 11:53 PM
What a great new Forum.
I've just spent an hour putting photos of my Router Planning jig in the Router Forum then found this one.

Ho hum.

Glen

rodm
4th September 2003, 12:07 AM
Hi Glen
I am unsure of where to place things myself but I figure that somebody will tell me if I have done the wrong thing.

cheers,
Rod