PDA

View Full Version : WoodTurning Courses in Melbourne

konmanos
23rd July 2007, 03:16 PM
All,

I remember as a kid, the love of wood turning in woodwork class. Since then it remained a memory. As of yesterday - after restoring a bed made in the 1800s, to its former glory, and the smell of wood shavings etc. I decided to investigate the art of wood turning. Decided to look into Lathes and what is available - but decided to better get advice & hands on before attempting a purchase. I was wondering from the people in the know - if there are any courses or the such that show you the basics and also the understanding of operating a lathe. Any advice appreciated. I am in the Melbourne East area - Chadstone and would love to learn more on this art. I have seen some of the work pieces the forum members have created - & I must say that I am really keen. Thanks for the forum.

Gra
23rd July 2007, 03:23 PM
I can recomend the Maroondah Woodworkers club course in Templestowe, only a quick trip to the other end of Springvale rd.... Did it myself after I got my lathe was a great corse and the guys doing it we your usual enthusiastic club members.

Dont know of any closer, but others might.

Oh and welcome to the nuthouse:D

Ray153
23rd July 2007, 03:49 PM
Len Smith at The Woodsmith in Lusher Road, Croydon also runs a 4 hour course on Wednesday and Saturdays, not sure of if this is every week but I think that he is booked for a few weeks at least.

Not sure if there is an expectation of a certain skill level or not either unfortunately.

I haven't done the course but have spoken briefly (obviously quite briefly given the high level of incomplete knowledge I have on the subject) :no: about it with him recently.

Ray

rsser
23rd July 2007, 04:32 PM
http://www.shortcourses.holmesglen.vic.edu.au/diy_skills.html

Beginner and int. turning courses, just about to start, and also new sets later in the year.

Stephen Hughes is giving them.

[Added: you wanted Chastone! And welcome to the forum Kon :) .]

Rookie
23rd July 2007, 05:33 PM
I know you said Chadstone, but Manningham Woodcraft in Templestowe have woodturning groups (Central Turners, Templestowe Turners and Manningham Turners) operating three Thursday evenings out of four every month. They also run an Introductoion to Woodturning course regularly.

Not sure if that's the one Gra refers to but it's not the end of Springvale road. More toward Manningham Road.

When I'm home tonight I'll post contact details as I will need to hunt them down.

Gra
23rd July 2007, 05:37 PM
I know you said Chadstone, but Manningham Woodcraft in Templestowe have woodturning groups (Central Turners, Templestowe Turners and Manningham Turners) operating three Thursday evenings out of four every month. They also run an Introductoion to Woodturning course regularly.

Not sure if that's the one Gra refers to but it's not the end of Springvale road. More toward Manningham Road.

When I'm home tonight I'll post contact details as I will need to hunt them down.

Yeah, that was the one I was talking about, thought Springy Rd would mean more to him than Maningham Rd

Rookie
23rd July 2007, 06:02 PM
Thanks Gra.

And while we're on the subject Kon, I'd strongly suggest holding off on a lathe purchase until you've a) done a course, and b) joined a club and used their facilities for a while. It will give you an idea of what sort of work you want to do and therefore what type of lathe would suit that work, and also it gives you access to club members who have great advice, and are occasionally selling quality gear second hand. It's how I got my lathe and I'm glad I waited.

konmanos
23rd July 2007, 06:08 PM
Thank you VERY much for all the information. It has been great assistance and a few tips will also be used - holding off from buying a lathe until I am sure that this is what I enjoy.
I will look at all the options.. & I will let you know how I went .. And by the way - thank you for welcoming me to the forum - i wish i had the same sort of quick supports on some of the other forums that I subscribe to!!

Gra
23rd July 2007, 06:10 PM
we are a friendly bunch here. Good luck with your experiments, just remember it didnt happen if you haven't posted pictures:D:D

We just love pictures here

rsser
23rd July 2007, 06:48 PM
yep, IMO this forum works because of a balance of good questions and responses informed by (a) experience, and (b) pig-headedness ;-}

There's always more than one way of skinning a cat and you can bet someone here has tried one or more and is generous enough to share what they learned :;

Rookie
23rd July 2007, 11:58 PM
Kon, the Manningham Woodcraft web site is here (http://www.woodcraft-manningham.org.au/index.htm). Not sure if all the details under "Groups" are correct but I know the Thursday night groups are right if you go to that section and look up the names and numbers you could give them a call...or just turn up. They'll be happy to see you. I might suggest the Manningham Group, or Templestowe Turners as a starter because they are meeting this Thursday and next and they are smaller groups. Good for a newbie.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
24th July 2007, 02:40 AM
There's always more than one way of skinning a cat and you can bet someone here has tried one or more and is generous enough to share what they learned :;

Even if is is only photographs of the sutures... :wink:

rsser
24th July 2007, 09:22 AM
... which indicate only that a slight refinement of technique is called for; the basic idea is still the best :D

prav
24th July 2007, 11:14 PM
Kon
I would also look at either the forest hill woodturners club (meets monday afternoons and first and third saturdays mornings. They have intro classes running at regular intervals in a formal basis and lots of help in an informal basis
or waverley wood workers http://www.waverleywoodworkers.org.au. They generally meet every monday night (second monday in winter). Bob morrison runs intro to turning courses on tuesday nights (very good turner and teacher).
Both options are much cheaper than Tafe courses and gives you ongoing support via the members but tafe course can be good to get you started as well. good luck:U prav