PDA

View Full Version : SCMS Winged Trolley

rodm
3rd September 2003, 10:26 PM
I am on a roll now with a borrowed camera so I will hog the board for a bit. Again I am not sure if this fits the category but it might be of interest to some. Having limited space but a need to cut longer lenghts of timber I made mark two (mark one is still in use but is made of MDF) of my SCMS mobile bench. It is made from 6mm aluminium checker plate reversed in parts to get a smooth surface, aluminium angle and flat. All the aluminium was collected over about twelve months or so from a scrap metal yard at about $2.00 kg so the outlay was not great. The trolley sits on locking swivel casters and I got heaps of them at about $14.00 each from Woodstock. They are rated at 60kg per wheel and the locking mechanism has a brake on the wheel as well as locking the swivel so there is no fear of failure in this application. The extension wings are hinged as is the support that swings in underneath the wings. I can cut 2.4 metre lenghts on the wings without support but any longer lengths I use a roller stand to prevent the trolley from tipping up on one side. Photo of unit collapsed in this message and the next will show it with wings extended.

cheers,
Rod

rodm
3rd September 2003, 10:28 PM
Here is the extended view.
cheers,
Rod

Sturdee
4th September 2003, 12:35 AM
Rod ....very good.

I was thinking of building one like that recently when I bought my new SCMS, but I managed to rearrange my bench tools to fit it in on the bench.

Regards

Peter

rodm
4th September 2003, 01:02 AM
Thanks Peter

Limited room in the shed and requirement to occassionally dock long lenghts meant I could not use SCMS in fixed position. I have posted quite a few photos tonight so that others can see what has been done and build on that for their own workshop.

cheers,
Rod

ozwinner
4th September 2003, 06:20 PM
Clear runway for take off.....................

DPB
4th September 2003, 07:38 PM
Put another shrimp on the barbie!

silentC
5th September 2003, 09:55 AM
Now that gives me an idea. I've got an old hardwood BBQ trolley. I wonder......

colh
26th September 2003, 12:15 PM
you know what they say about great minds ....

this tip popped up this morning:

http://www.woodworkingtips.com/etips/etip030926sn.html (http://)

amazing how many good ideas are bleeding obvious after they've been pointed out to you ...

Colin

silentC
26th September 2003, 12:23 PM
I reckon that guy is a secret visitor to Ubeaut Woodwork Forums.

That does it, I'm going to convert mine this weekend.

colh
26th September 2003, 12:25 PM
something else to look for during council kerbside cleanups?