PDA

View Full Version : One of those days two

wheelinround
24th July 2007, 06:40 PM
After much of a day where I felt I wasn't going to achieve anything and everything seemed to go wrong ........if I didn't drop it it needed to be repaired (tools)

by lunch time slooooowly making headway by this afternoon this is results of a damn frustrating day

The mini Mallet I have been working on for 19 months it keps getting put aside. I turned the pine handle yesterday head made from an off cut of gum not sure what type its red.

The Gouge handle made to suit my hands turned about 4 weeks ago, have yet to bore for the tang

The Depth guage is Tassie Huon pine & Maranti or Teak ...epoxy glued n clamped overnight ...shaft is Stainless steel 6mm x 510mm have yet to grind ends.
Considering puting a scribe point on one end and have to decide how to secure the shaft ....either with just a simple taped hole and a threaded thumb bolt or more elaberate type.

all coated with Duracil Wax and a quick polish

Ray worn out tired and sore

ps now the attahments haven't upoaded trying again:doh:

RufflyRustic
25th July 2007, 09:49 AM
Hiya Ray

I really like that mallet - looks like a good size, not too big or small, a solid head and shouldn't need too much swinging room to use it.

Your depth gauge is pretty neat too. :2tsup:

cheers
Wendy

wheelinround
25th July 2007, 10:51 AM
Hiya Ray

I really like that mallet - looks like a good size, not too big or small, a solid head and shouldn't need too much swinging room to use it.

Your depth gauge is pretty neat too. :2tsup:

cheers
Wendy

Thanks Wendy .....after the day I had I am amazed they turned out to survive not being thrown into the street or bin.
Yeh the handle of the mallet is a bit ugly and cheap I'll have to find something better to replace it with.

RufflyRustic
25th July 2007, 11:18 AM
So the handle is a test # 1 :) Perhaps not such a bad idea after all, as that will give you a chance to use the mallet and reshape the handle to suit you better.:U

cheers
Wendy

wheelinround
25th July 2007, 06:46 PM
So the handle is a test # 1 :) Perhaps not such a bad idea after all, as that will give you a chance to use the mallet and reshape the handle to suit you better.:U

cheers
Wendy

Mallet already been used :U great for sharp taps which need wait and with my hand grip its great shape. It was supposed to have been Huon pine a piece I had laying around and it was the first thing I put into the lathe after getting it back (had an electrical fault) but as you can see just plain old pine.

Wont take long to make another I picked up a firewood block today at father inlaws too good for firewood I thought but I have to also make him a couple of new chisle handls as well. I have taken a photo of the block post them later on.
I like the size of the handle maybe a little longer would be nice.