PDA

View Full Version : can you turn a knight?

Twinnie
24th July 2007, 06:54 PM
i was going to turn a chess piece as a paper weight, and my brother challenged me to turn a knight! i can't resist a challenge and it was going well till it snapped in the center. but i'm sure it can be done with square stock between centers.

has any one done it?

Matt

Twinnie
24th July 2007, 07:02 PM
Matt , turn a wee knights helmet . It doesn't have to be a horse

where is the fun in that?

it was using mertle by the way.

Matt

p.s. i'm sure the was a post i was replying to now it's gone.

Manuka Jock
24th July 2007, 07:03 PM
Matt , turn a wee knights helmet . It doesn't have to be a horse

Manuka Jock
24th July 2007, 07:17 PM
where is the fun in that?

it was using mertle by the way.

Matt

p.s. i'm sure the was a post i was replying to now it's gone.

Sorry Matt ,
I Botched that up big time , forgot to post the pic .....
and missed the Paper Weight bit . :B

Jock

soundman
24th July 2007, 10:12 PM
you could do some sort of off set turning.

Twinnie
24th July 2007, 10:44 PM
ok i have been messing about with the 3d software and i have made this little thing with all turned shapes.

Matt

Skew ChiDAMN!!
25th July 2007, 12:30 AM
I remember seeing someone mass-producing chess-sets and they were nearly 100% turned.

For the knights he turned a large ring, maybe 6" across, with a partial profile matching the profile of the horses head and then cut this ring into segments on the bandsaw, mounting the segments in pin-jaws to turn the bases.

Finally, he simply held the sides of the heads on the roller-end of a belt-sander to grind them back to shape on each side. From one ring he was making something like 1½ or 2 dozen pieces!

Alastair
25th July 2007, 10:46 AM
Skew's hit the nail on the head.

Details in a book I have, which I will try to find.

Here only the head was turned in a ring, and segments cut on BS. Base was turned separately , with a pin, to fit in hole drilled in bottom of head.

joe greiner
25th July 2007, 02:11 PM
Sounds similar to an article in Fine Woodworking magazine, July 1987, 65:70-73. Extracted in Lathes and Turning Techniques, The Best of Fine Woodworking, Taunton Press, ISBN 1-56158-021-X, pp. 90-92. Called "Hoop turning." No horse heads, but they show some entire horses and cows. They used a tree cross section for the turning, and chopped the pieces apart with a knife along radii. Quite complex shapes.

Joe

OGYT
26th July 2007, 07:11 AM
Like they say... it can be done... I was asked to turn a chess set, and decided I didn't need all the stress. :D I'd rather turn something big enough for my eyes to see... :)