PDA

View Full Version : What Tools?

Jacob
27th July 2007, 08:14 AM
I am a fairly new wood turner. Bowls and other hollowed-out items are my favorite projects. What cutting tools should I have? A parting tool, two skews, a couple of spindle gouges, and a round nose scraper comprises my arsenal at present. Someone who knows what he is doing please suggest just what chisels and/or other things I need.

Also, sharpening is not my favorite activity. What is the best sharpening “system” for an impatient, rank armature like me?

Send help
Jacob

Dean
27th July 2007, 09:09 AM
Dovetail scraper for bowls is handy.
Roughing gouge for getting things round (if you dont like using your bowl gouge for this)

Then you can invest in any myriad of hollowing tools if you want to turn vessels etc.

Lots of options and tools out there.

Cliff Rogers
27th July 2007, 09:24 AM
Read the posts below & the ones that they link to.
There is a set that a couple of the blokes mention that they started with.
Here is a set that is not to bad to start with.
http://vermec.tripod.com/PDFs/economychisels.pdf
Carbtec also sell the same set.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=46236
http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=46236

Have fun. :2tsup:<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

PS. Don't use the roughing gouge to rough out a bowl. :wink:

Dean
27th July 2007, 09:27 AM
PS. Don't use the roughing gouge to rough out a bowl. :wink:

Didnt we have this debate once before :p :p :p

Skew ChiDAMN!!
27th July 2007, 03:06 PM
Unless you're a "tool collector" :rolleyes: the only tool I'd consider a "must" to add to that list, given that you're a new turner and that you like hollowing, is a good bowl gouge. (Well... maybe a couple, of different sizes.)

That'd give you the skews and spindle gouges for the outside forms and the round-nosed scraper and bowl gouge for hollowing. I'd concentrate on learning to use them properly (including sharpening) before going out and buying other tools... and even then my first buys would be basically the same tools but of better quality. :wink: Once you're familiar with what you've got and know what you can do with them, then start thinking about buying other tools to make some jobs easier.

I don't recommend buying "fancy gadget tools" until and unless you have a need for them as good tools are expen$ive and in the early stages there's always some more basic tool that would give better value for money.

Some very basic tools that are oft overlooked but, IMHO, better value for money than almost any cutting tool are a good chuck with std. 45mm jaws, a set of pin-jaws, a larger set of shark-grip type jaws, a range of faceplates and a few sets of Sachys Robertson screws for mounting. (That'll keep you broke for a while! :innocent:)

Oh... and good quality sandpaper. Not the cheap chinese 5cents-a-sheet muck. :no: I'd recommend Hermes J-flex... a bit more expensive but it lasts 10x as long, gives a better finish and is well worth the extra investment.

TTIT
27th July 2007, 03:53 PM
Unless you're a "tool collector" :rolleyes: the only tool I'd consider a "must" to add to that list, given that you're a new turner and that you like hollowing, is a good bowl gouge. (Well... maybe a couple, of different sizes.)

That'd give you the skews and spindle gouges for the outside forms and the round-nosed scraper and bowl gouge for hollowing. I'd concentrate on learning to use them properly (including sharpening) before going out and buying other tools... and even then my first buys would be basically the same tools but of better quality. :wink: Once you're familiar with what you've got and know what you can do with them, then start thinking about buying other tools to make some jobs easier.

I don't recommend buying "fancy gadget tools" until and unless you have a need for them as good tools are expen$ive and in the early stages there's always some more basic tool that would give better value for money.

Some very basic tools that are oft overlooked but, IMHO, better value for money than almost any cutting tool are a good chuck with std. 45mm jaws, a set of pin-jaws, a larger set of shark-grip type jaws, a range of faceplates and a few sets of Sachys Robertson screws for mounting. (That'll keep you broke for a while! :innocent:)

Oh... and good quality sandpaper. Not the cheap chinese 5cents-a-sheet muck. :no: I'd recommend Hermes J-flex... a bit more expensive but it lasts 10x as long, gives a better finish and is well worth the extra investment.Couldn't have said it better myself! Nah! seriously - I couldn't - thats why I leave the advice bit's to you guy's :U:U:U

rsser
27th July 2007, 04:40 PM
Wot they said!

As for sharpening systems, there are designs on the web to make your own for a fingernail grind on a spindle gouge or you can buy one of the commercial offerings. There's a pile out there.

For the rest of your tools a good platform is necessary. Check out the Sabre at http://www.cws.au.com/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_by_category?category_id=1107144916

Skew ChiDAMN!!
27th July 2007, 06:04 PM
I'm a firm believer that a little bit of skill with a few basic, good quality tools is a much more enjoyable experience than being a master turner with absolute crap tools.

Unless you really enjoy being challenged at every turn. :rolleyes::D

rsser
27th July 2007, 06:17 PM
Yep.

The good thing about Jacob's query is that he's told us what he is turning and what tools he has.

And welcome to the forum btw Jacob.

So a question back: what do you want to do that your current armoury won't let you?

Cliff's right .. you need a bowl gouge for quicker, safer and smoother bowl hollowing, and if Lubbock is in the UK my strong rec'n is to get a Henry Taylor 3/8" Superflute. Or if your bowls are big (eg. over 8" in diam as a rough guide), then get a bigger Superflute.

And what kind of hollowing?

If straight sided of any depth over 3 to 4", get yourself a heavy square ended scraper of 3/8" thickness and grind the cutting edge to slightly less than 90 degrees from the left edge. If less than 3-4" a 1/4" thick scraper will do the job and give your sphincters a useful workout in preparation for old age ;-}

And search on Skew's posts about self-made tools for other options ... he's a genius at this (among other things).

Jacob
29th July 2007, 01:44 PM
Lubbock is in wide open spaces, West Texas. (oil, cotton, and cattle)

I like shallow bowls, with simple insides and outsides. Sharpening gives me a real problem, but I'm working on it.

Thanks for your help.

Jacob

scooter
30th July 2007, 12:26 AM
Welcome aboard, Jacob :)

3/8" Henry Taylor superflute bowl gouge was 's advice to me & it's a fine tool :2tsup:

A few of us have made sharpening jigs, have a look back through the turning forum for ideas.

Cheers................Sean