View Full Version : Banksia Nuts

echnidna
29th July 2007, 09:51 PM
I picked up some banksia nuts.

Do you let them ripen so the seeds pop out

or do you turn them seeds and all?

Skew ChiDAMN!!
30th July 2007, 01:30 AM
I don't think it'd really make much difference. Even after they're long opened, one of the perils of turning 'em is seeds that haven't fallen out. It's not something you want to turn with onlookers nearby. Although I'd imagine that if the pods haven't opened yet, the seeds may be green enough to pose no peril at all.

I haven't tried any that "young" myself, most nuts I've seen for sale are all long opened, as are the ones I collect for myself. Hmmm... I wonder if the end result would be noticeably different?

OGYT
30th July 2007, 10:00 AM
What a lucky bunch of Blokes you are... able to walk about and pick up your own Banksia Pods! Only ones I've ever seen are those that Hughie sent me... I've turned three of 'em. They all had the seeds gone. And they're fun to turn.
I think you're right, Skew, with the seeds in they'd be some different. Probably a good idea to turn a couple and find out. Talk about texture!!! :D

rsser
30th July 2007, 01:33 PM
Al, actually it's not that easy to find good size banksia nuts around where I live. Wish it were.

Any case, they're a brutal turning job however they come.

wheelinround
30th July 2007, 03:16 PM
wife picked up some on her walk the other day
not sure if to use them for BBQ or have a go at turning them to what NFI

Sebastiaan56
30th July 2007, 04:01 PM
Turn them, one knowlegable person told me to leave the red furry stuff on as it adds character. Wonderful things, full of swirly textures and if you can get the holes right they make terrific features,

Just wear your eye protection and I found the dust irritating,

Sebastiaan

rsser
30th July 2007, 04:04 PM
Yeah, definately have a play.

At worst you can only end up with a face like a rodent (not, note, like Rodent .... well maybe :U ...).

Hardenfast
30th July 2007, 04:12 PM
I found this thread somewhat fascinating as I have no idea what you're all talking about. Show's you how much I've got to learn.

Turning a Banksia nut? Am I picturing the right thing here? Just had a look at wheelin's pictures - yep! That's them!

Anyone have any pics of what the finished product looks like? I suppose its no stranger than making an emu out of a pine cone. Plenty of them around.

Wayne

Big Shed
30th July 2007, 04:36 PM
I found this thread somewhat fascinating as I have no idea what you're all talking about. Show's you how much I've got to learn.

Turning a Banksia nut? Am I picturing the right thing here? Just had a look at wheelin's pictures - yep! That's them!

Anyone have any pics of what the finished product looks like? I suppose its no stranger than making an emu out of a pine cone. Plenty of them around.

Wayne

I bought 4 of them at the Adelaide WWWS for $10. Latest Woodturning magazine has an interesting article o using Banksia nuts in a lid for a turned box. Fascinating application and looks really good IMHO.

echnidna
30th July 2007, 05:58 PM
I got a few biggies bit over a foot long.
Theres a lot of smaller ones - different species - about 6" long
And lots & lots of smallies just a few inches long

Skew ChiDAMN!!
30th July 2007, 06:04 PM
Sadly, you can't turn "just any old Banksia nut." :(

The best ones for turning all come from WA, I'm not sure which species of Banksia they come from but the pods are smallish, evenly distributed and the fibres between the pods tend to be fine and dense, making for good infill between the pods.

I've tried some of our local Banksia's (local as in native to this area) and they were woeful... the pods too large and too irregularly spaced, with fibres more like big cactus spikes than hair which snapped off at the base instead of cutting. Sorta like tear-out only on a MUCH bigger scale. :~

We do have a couple of Banksias in the backyard that produce passable nuts, but as we planted them some 30 years ago none of us can remember what species they were... :B :doh:

rsser
30th July 2007, 06:27 PM
Saw some very nice nut salt and pepper shakers selling at a local market for a very modest price.

Bloke must've been an addict ... like too many of us :(

benji79
30th July 2007, 06:40 PM

Wayne

Havent done one my self but this looks like fun to make

http://www.woodturningdesign.com/onlineproject/banksia_pod_wingedbowl.shtml

Benji

wheelinround
30th July 2007, 07:08 PM
I saw some a fellow from USA did someone from AU sent him some they were excelent

http://www.exoticwoodcreations.com/Banksia.htm

http://www.waroongawoodcrafts.com.au/woodcraft-catalogue-2.html

http://clickerflicker.com/References/Pen_Hardwoods.pdf
Last one is excelent

ptc
31st July 2007, 12:18 PM
I used to pay $5. each.
but postage as well kills it for me in Tassie.

Doc Ron
31st July 2007, 01:40 PM

Wayne

Here are a couple of pics. Fun to turn, interesting look.
The lamp is about 7' ( 18cm) high), the vase a bit less.

Hardenfast
31st July 2007, 03:45 PM
Seriously cool stuff Doc - or is it Ron? Did someone send these over to you as raw material and you turned them there yourself, or did you buy them as completed items?

These are your works PTC? What are the caps made from? Looks like one of them has blistered? Wouldn't they make great potpourri holders, or is that what they are? Is the finished article unstable? I feel so un-informed.

Many thanks for the other links & info Bob, Wheelin and Benji.

Wayne

echnidna
31st July 2007, 05:08 PM
Do the vases hold water?

wheelinround
1st August 2007, 09:58 AM
Seriously cool stuff Doc - or is it Ron? Did someone send these over to you as raw material and you turned them there yourself, or did you buy them as completed items?

These are your works PTC? What are the caps made from? Looks like one of them has blistered? Wouldn't they make great potpourri holders, or is that what they are? Is the finished article unstable? I feel so un-informed.

Many thanks for the other links & info Bob, Wheelin and Benji.

Wayne

A drive along the road to Patonga will reap you a few Banksia nuts Wayne just not in the BWNP :no: well at least dont get caught and now is the season.
Even a walk around the streets many gardens may have some up on the CC before the bush fires season arrives

ptc
1st August 2007, 11:39 AM
Wayne.
The one on the left (lid) is sassafrass,
The others are huon pine. they are potpourri pots
I use Shellac brushed on 2-3 coates to finish the banksias.
allow to dry between coates
it stablises the (fur)
I bore out with a forstner bit.
if you pick the right banksia very stable

Doc Ron
2nd August 2007, 01:39 AM

Wayne

Wayne
I bought the nuts from a commercial source (I think Woodcraft). Pretty expensive and getting more so, I haven't bought any recently.
Ron ( the Doc is Ph.D.)