PDA

View Full Version : Nova Mercury? Anyone got it?

OGYT
30th July 2007, 09:42 AM
Her Majesty and I have a small travel trailer. Get this: She wants us to go somewhere in it... all the time. Can you imagine such a daft idea? :p She always has her quiltin' stuff with her, so she's not in any hurry to come home. She told me to get a small lathe to take with us. :D
Anyone got the new Nova Mercury Midi/Mini Lathe? Just curious how it holds up.
So far, haven't found a place in the upover that sells it, though... :(

TTIT
30th July 2007, 12:26 PM
Surely you can squeeze the Oneway into the trailer Al!!!!:;

ticklingmedusa
30th July 2007, 03:12 PM
Go west young man, I'll put a brontosaurus burger on the barbie!:2tsup:
tm

Hardenfast
30th July 2007, 04:25 PM
No experience with the Nova, Al. I do have the new Jet Midi, though, and in my limited experience it's quite good. No vibration - quite portable - integrated light etc - reasonable price. Jet are fairly common over there, aren't they?

It would probably fit on the front seat while HM is in the back quilting up a storm. By the way, I'm a bit dubious about the "small travel trailer" thing. I don't think I've ever seem anything "small" on US highways. For some reason I'm picturing that Lucille Ball movie from a while back (Long Long Trailer?).

I'll be in Texas as part of a US trip in September so I'll keep an eye out for the trailer with wood shavings fluming along behind. Have fun with the missus.

Wayne

hughie
30th July 2007, 11:31 PM
Al,
Found this on my travels might come in handy. Had a good look at the review and its looks like a well made lathe and pretty keenly priced to boot.Although he reckons go for the motor upgrade.

I reckon if I was not so keen on mucking around building my own I would give serious consideration to this lathe

http://www.kestrelcreek.com/Articles/Nova_TR.htm
http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/ToolGuide/ToolGuideProduct.aspx?id=5384

All else fails heres a compilation of all sorts of brands and prices. One way or another you should be up and running as a itinerant wood turner in no time. :U

http://www.become.com/shop?q=speed+lathe&v=grid&start=1&num=20

RETIRED
30th July 2007, 11:53 PM
Al,
Snip.

One way or another you should be up and running as a itinerant wood turner in no time. :U

http://www.become.com/shop?q=speed+lathe&v=grid&start=1&num=20Nice pun Hughie.:D

Manuka Jock
31st July 2007, 08:58 AM
aye , Itinerant Wood Turners , the Bodgers of old eh .
turning for the communities that hosted them in their travels .

OGYT , you're venturing into our honourable past mate ,
good one .

OGYT
31st July 2007, 10:58 AM
TTIT: Surely you can squeeze the Oneway into the trailer Al!!!!
I surely wish... :)

tm, I may take you up on that. Check your email. :D

Wayne: I'm a bit dubious about the "small travel trailer" thing.
I'll be in Texas as part of a US trip in September
Yep, it's 24feet long... that's smaller than a lot of 'em. Easier to pull, too.
Do you know where in Texas you'll be travelin'? I'm in the NW. If you'll pass through Amarillo going Easterly in your travels, you'll probably pass within a few blocks of my place. Let me know. If you're with a tour and can't stop for a visit, let me know that, and I'll chase you down just to shake your hand. :)

Hughie: Had a good look at the review and its looks like a well made lathe and pretty keenly priced to boot.Although he reckons go for the motor upgrade.
Hughie, the Teknatool bunch took a hint from someone, because they've upgraded the motor on the Mercury to 1/2 hp. The Fine Woodworking Review favored the Mercury over Jet, Delta, Fisch, and General. I'm still tryin' to find a distributor in the USA that has one in stock.

Liked the pun also, . :D

Jock: aye , Itinerant Wood Turners , the Bodgers of old eh .
Never heard about that, Jock. But if it's an honourable past, I'll take it.

I really appreciate the posted comments, Mates. It'll be another step... a little farther in... to this addiction... Got to figure out how to attach a grinder wheel to the outboard spindle, too. Don't want to have to take that heavy grinder along.
Cheers all.

Manuka Jock
31st July 2007, 11:15 AM
BODGER
<!--STORY STARTS--> ''' An itinerant chair-leg turner.
This term was once common around the furniture-making town of High Wycombe in Buckinghamshire, between London and Oxford. Bodgers were highly skilled itinerant wood-turners, who worked in the beech woods on the chalk hills of the Chilterns. They cut timber and converted it into chair legs by turning it on a pole lathe, an ancient and very simple tool that uses the spring of a bent sapling to help run it. Their equipment was so easy to move and set up that it was easier to go to the timber and work it there than to transport it to a workshop. The completed chair legs were sold to furniture factories to be married with other chair parts made in the workshop. '''

A few web pages here about the craft , past and present

http://tinyurl.com/3a4pl7

Hardenfast
31st July 2007, 11:18 AM
We'll only be going to Houston, Al. Visiting a glass fabricator there as our only point of business in Texas, so will be flying into George Bush Intercontinental airport and visiting their premises in downtown Houston. We will fly straight out of Houston on the way to San Francisco, so won't get to ask "Is this the way to Amarillo?

Shame, would have liked to have caught up for a cup of coffee with your good self - maybe bring you a few little timber samples from Down Under.

We won't have much time for recreation on this trip. We will be in Atlanta for 5 days, 2 days in New York, 2 days in Naples (Florida), 1 day in Houston then 2 days in San Francisco. I already have a full suitcase of goodies (hand tools) over there ready to bring home.

OGYT
2nd August 2007, 02:26 PM
I emailed Teknatool International, and this is the answer I received just now. I guess the Nova Mercury won't be one of my choices.:(
I thought Nova was built in Oz or NZ....:D
From a Teknatool Marketing Assistant:

Thanks for contacting us and your interest in the Mercury Lathe.

You are correct, all Mercury lathes has VS motor. However, we were disappointed that we had to stop producing the Mercury lathe due to raising costs, which made it uneconomic to sell.
We had not doing any marketing for Mercury lathe for quite a long time. We also wish to relaunch it into the market but the decision has not settle yet.

Please feel free to contact me again, should you require any assistance with this matter.

<O:pYours sincerely</O:p
<O:p

<ADDRESS></ADDRESS>TEKNATOOL INTERNATIONAL GROUP
Fan Huang <O:p</O:p
Marketing Assistant</O:p

hughie
2nd August 2007, 08:51 PM
Al,
How about second hand? Somebody some where should have one for sale. Hey you could travel to it in your camper if it was a far off. :U

A quest! :U

OGYT
3rd August 2007, 04:24 PM
A quest? Wahoo! Sounds like fun... except I've made a deal already for a Vicmarc VL100. Won't get it 'til about the 22 of Aug. Still, it's a downunder lathe! Pretty tough little lathe, I think. Now, if I could only find the $$$.................

hughie
4th August 2007, 08:19 AM
made a deal already for a Vicmarc VL100. Won't get it 'til about the 22 of Aug. Still, it's a downunder lathe! Pretty tough little lathe,

Al ,
All joking aside, it'l do just fine. The Vicmarc reputation is well deserved.:2tsup:

Ross
4th August 2007, 09:20 AM
Great lathe, mine is mounted on a stand and still fits into the back of my small hatch back. Just lift it out and it's ready to turn.

Ross

OGYT
4th August 2007, 01:07 PM
Thanks, Hughie.
G'day, Ross. Dependin' on how wide (front to rear) it is, I'm thinkin' about mounting the VL100 (Bare... Bench Model) on a 2"x10" of the appropriate length, puttin' the motor on a foot long 2"x6" hinged to the 2x10 and let the weight of the motor be the belt tightener. The 100mm hinge has removable pin, making the lathe load and unload in two pieces (easier on my old back).
Right now, I plan on usin' the tailgate of my truck for a stand (rubber feet under the 2x10) and maybe some way to clamp the front edge to counteract the motor weight. I'll use a 12-3 short flexible extension cord. If I have to park away from electricity, I'll have to make other arrangements. At craft shows, I'll have a table for it to sit on.

BernieP
4th August 2007, 02:53 PM
G'Day Al

Sounds like you have it all sorted, look forward to seeing pics of finished ideas.

Cheers
Bernie

hughie
6th August 2007, 10:30 PM
The 100mm hinge has removable pin, making the lathe load and unload in two pieces (easier on my old back).

Al,

The hinge should work fine. I put two on mine, two to stop any side ways movement and to try and give it some longevity.
I use Butt hinges and run the welder over the hinge points to stop any opening up down the track

Stu in Tokyo
7th August 2007, 02:01 AM
Al, have you looked at the Rikon Midi lathe?

I know a few guys that have one and they REALLY like it, just a thought?

Another thought, make a stand that goes into the receiver on your trailer hitch, you take out your ball hitch and then put your stand into the hitch and you are on your way, your whole truck would become a vibration damper for the lathe :2tsup:

Cheers!

OGYT
7th August 2007, 02:03 PM
Hughie, thats a mighty beefy lookin' hinge system. I need to do somethin' like that to beef mine up, I think. It seems like a lot of pressure, pullin sideways on the hinge. May have to do that. Thanks for the idea.

Howdy Stu, I did look at the Rikon. I got to see it up close and personal up at a Woodcraft store in Oklahoma City. It was my third choice. It seems like it's built pretty well and is a little bigger, but I just liked the features of the Mercury more. Ended up with my second choice: Vicmarc VL100.
Good idea on the receiver stand. Might be another place for one of them. We want to put a receiver hitch... small one... on the back of the trailer to carry our bicycles (don't know why, we're gettin to old to go far).

Stu in Tokyo
7th August 2007, 06:17 PM
I've turned on the VL300, I almost bought one (just could not afford it, and BOY did I try to stretch the budget too... :( ) and it is a fantastic machine, so I'm sure you will be happy with the VL100.

A second receiver hitch on the back of the trailer is a good idea, you can do a stand there for the lathe, as well as the bike rack, and you can also make a portable BBQ stand there too, and hook up an awing to keep you out of the sun or rain :2tsup:

Cheers!