PDA

View Full Version : sandpaper question

cliff cook
6th September 2003, 10:46 PM
G`day guys
When using sandpaper in the 1500-2000 grit range it just seems to smear off onto the wood and not do much else. On white wood ( the sandpaper is green ) this is not a good look.

Does this stuff need to be wet or somthing or is it a waste of time going this fine?
thanks cooky

q9
7th September 2003, 12:31 AM
Not a lot of point on bare wood. I don't go much past 400 any more. First bit of finish and the grains all up anyway. Maybe use it wet if you are doing a real fine finish on epoxy or similar.

Neil
7th September 2003, 01:44 AM
Get rid of the rubbish abrasive and buy some good stuff. If you are paying less than about $1.50 a sheet retail you are most likely buying inferior abrasive. If you pay for good abrasive paper and you get a grit that stays on the paper and cuts and cuts and cuts, it is the bonding and the type of abrasive used that makes the difference.

You can sand up to 2500 grit on raw timber and get an absolutely brilliant results without losing any of the abrasive into the wood. However the difference between a sanded finish of 800 and 2500 is almost impossible to pick on raw timber.

My preference would be to sand to 600 or 800 then apply a base coat of shellac or your favourite finish and when dry use your finer grades on that. If over shellac you should get away with using the paper dry, over poly you really need to use it wet with a drop or two of dish detergent in the water to act as a softener and wetting agent.

If you are using Organoil then use the paper with the oil, but don't even think about it until you get some really good paper.

Hope this is of some help.

Cheers - Neil :)

azturner
7th September 2003, 09:18 AM
It' a waste of time and paper. 400-600 max.

river rat
8th September 2003, 07:04 PM
Cliff,
I sand to 400-600 then buff useing a cloth wheel and tripoli and white diamond buff compound.

River Rat

Neil
9th September 2003, 12:46 AM
http://www.ubeaut.com.au/eee.htm

cliff cook
9th September 2003, 11:33 PM
G`day guys
Thanks for the replies.The general concensus seems that it is a waste of time and i tend to agree but thought i would ask the question anyway!
Niel : I use PILATUS sandpaper which i thought was a pretty good brand , the cloth backed coasrer(?) grits work fine it`s only the fine stuff i`m not happy with.
Oh yeah i do use EE quite q bit.

Neil
10th September 2003, 10:05 AM
Cookie - if the grit gomes off the backing it is not good paper.

Eastie
10th September 2003, 11:19 AM
Neil, your comments seem familiar to something I've read a few times - buy the frigin book and take some advice you, you woodturners !