PDA

View Full Version : August Pen Swap

BernieP
31st July 2007, 01:59 PM
G'Day All

Is the pen swap still alive and well? If so I am back in the land of the living again and would like to put my hand up, so if people are still interested can someone please supply the list of names and addresses or pm me with same. Closing time sometime next week and title will be "Black, white or brindle", Any takers?

Cheers
Bernie

karlkuehn
31st July 2007, 02:24 PM
Can someone explain the pen swap to me?

The wife does it to me all the time. I get a new pen, she swaps me a kiss for it. Sometimes it's just a pen swipe, however, and I can't write checks until I fire up the lathe again. *sigh* No rest for the weary...:;

Simomatra
31st July 2007, 04:38 PM
G'day Bernie

I still have June to do but I am home now so count me in as a starter

I will Email the list I have

Karl

The normal idea is for a group of us, one being the donor of the blanks, sends the blanks normally 2 or 3 to the others

The donor sets the theme in this case black white brindle

You then have as month to make the pens and post the results at the start of the next month

Anyone is welcome, at this stage, I don't think it is restricted to Oz

Touchwood
31st July 2007, 11:25 PM
Hey Bernie,
you have made this ol' girl real happy :D :D :D - I would love to be included in another months challenge.

Thanks
JD

Skew ChiDAMN!!
31st July 2007, 11:38 PM
I was trying to ignore this month... :roll: but... count me in.

(Some people can't help themselves. :B)

Touchwood
1st August 2007, 12:47 AM
I was trying to ignore this month... but... count me in.

Well Skew, technically you did!!! There wasn't a July swap and this next one is August!!!:p

Aaaahhh, the Pen Swap is alive and well, the world is at peace.

JD

Skew ChiDAMN!!
1st August 2007, 01:08 AM
August? Already? My megaliths say it's only half-past Autumn. Damn, I hate it when they run slow! http://www.ubeaut.biz/viking.gif

DJ’s Timber
1st August 2007, 09:39 AM
I still haven't done the last few mths yet but put me down, when I finally get the shed sorted I will have to have a big penturning session :U :2tsup:

karlkuehn
1st August 2007, 11:04 AM
So the donor actually sends the blanks in the mail? I live here in the states, so that may be expensive. I'd be happy to supply my own blanks, but it sounds like fun!

Do we just post pictures of the pens we make?

Matt88s
1st August 2007, 11:56 AM
I'm interested in knowing more as well. Perhaps we could start a stateside pen swap so as to not have to wait the time or incur the costs involved with international shipping?

lubbing5cherubs
1st August 2007, 12:18 PM
Gidday Guys, I would like to get back into this too please
bye Toni

Terry B
1st August 2007, 12:24 PM
Count me in as well.
It has been much too cold in my shed so I haven't been doing any turning but it will start to warm up soon and this will motivate me.:U

Simomatra
1st August 2007, 12:46 PM
Karl and Matt88

You are welcome to join in but as you stated it can get expensive. Maybe like you say you can start a swap section in the states.

We have had a bank swap not so long ago and persons from the states particaped. Its nice to get some diffirent blanks to play with. I for one am happy to send and receive from the states

Karl
Yes we just post the finished products usually but some times we get a sample of the them and how to do it

Toni
Good to see you back into it don't forget to forward your new address to Bernie

JD
I see your prayers were answered

DJ & Skew
Guess you are like me, I have a lot of house chores to pick up on as well. Seven weeks was a long time away. Iam also off to Canberra next week to visit with eldest son cramps my time as well

BernieP
1st August 2007, 05:08 PM
G'Day All

Been in the shed today cutting up blanks, I'm hoping you will like what I send.

Toni
Do you have a new address, if so please PM it as Sam has sent the old one, glad your back.

JD
Have given you a little time to work out the theme so looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

Skew

You couldn't let us down and not participate, always look forward to your input.

Sam

Thanks for list and may need you looking over my shoulder to make sure I do this right as first attempt.

Karl

Will look into cost, but willing to send two blanks instead of three and this should make cost bearable but you will need to PM your adress to me.

Matt

Read Karl's reply

Terry

If Sam had your adress I will Have it

DJS

I think your address will be on the list

For the rest will write up a list and let me know if interested

Cheers
Bernie

BernieP
1st August 2007, 05:55 PM
G'Day Penners

Terry received your pmwith address Thanks

Karl and Matt one thing that hasn't been mentioned we sell one finished pen and donate proceeds to a local charity.

Cheers
Bernie

lubbing5cherubs
1st August 2007, 08:01 PM
Gidday Bernie, my PM with new address is sent
bye Toni

lubbing5cherubs
1st August 2007, 08:10 PM
UGH got the stammers..lol
Toni

BernieP
1st August 2007, 10:45 PM
G'Day Toni

PM received ok.

Cheers
Bernie

Touchwood
2nd August 2007, 12:18 AM
Do we just post pictures of the pens we make?

Yep, but you must wait until the end of the alloted month as the really interesting bit is seeing how everyone interprets the same theme - if you post early there might be a poacher amongst us!!!!!:o :o :o ... never:;

Search the pen threads and have a look at some of the old theme, harlequin was where I started - mmm NICE and easy (NOT), the butterfly was another memorable one, bullet and antler, organic threw up a variety .... point is I guess, look back to June 2006 or so with search words like pen swap pictures and a month.

It is great fun and makes one go out side boundries of normality in pen making (nearly wrote all sorts of cliches that included words like square .. box... envelope aarrgghhh not the work words!!!!)

JD

Matt88s
2nd August 2007, 04:02 AM
Black, white or brindle

Is this the new theme? If so aren't those all colors? How would you do colors? :C

BernieP
2nd August 2007, 02:18 PM
G'Day Matt

Yes they can be colours, or whatever you read into them, e.g in Australia there is a saying ' I don't care if he/she is black white or brindle ' in other words I don't care what their weakness/strength is I still like them! Hang around Matt we will teach you how to speak orstrailyen.

Cheers
Bernie

Fireman sam
2nd August 2007, 06:26 PM
bernie pm sent :) :D
Andrew

BernieP
2nd August 2007, 07:12 PM
G'Day Andrew

PM received ok

Cheers
Bernie

mick61
3rd August 2007, 10:21 AM
G`day I would like to join in if that`s ok
mick

BernieP
3rd August 2007, 05:48 PM
G'Day Mick

Not a problem PM me your name and address and it should be in the mail next week

Cheers
Bernie

David Mitchell
3rd August 2007, 10:16 PM
I am interested in pen making, but not sure how this all works.
this is the first post

lubbing5cherubs
3rd August 2007, 10:21 PM
Welcome aboard David, Can't wait to see your pens. We love photo. Welcome mate
Toni

PenTurner
4th August 2007, 11:56 AM
Welcome David, why don't you PM Alan of Wallan, he's sort of out that way, any questions just fire away, lot's of pen turners are willing to give good advice. Amos:)

BernieP
4th August 2007, 03:01 PM
G'Day David M

Welcome aboard, if you look in search at the top under pen swap you'll find about it all, but basically we take it in turn to post out 2 or 3 pen blanks in our choice of timber to the participants once a month and the one sending nominates a theme, this month "black white or brindle" interpret how you want using blanks received and at end of month show pics. One pen goes to charity at end of year others are yours to keep.

I will need you to PM (private Message) me your full name and address so I can post them, Hoping to post on Monday 6th.

Cheers
Bernie

mick61
4th August 2007, 06:09 PM
G`day bernie pm sent

BernieP
4th August 2007, 06:55 PM
G'Day All

Current List of August pen swappers

Simomatra
Skew Chidamn
Touchwood
Lubbing5Cherubs
Djstimber
Fireman Sam
BernieP
Terry B
Mick61
Karl in USA
Let me know if I missed anyone.
*** David M waiting on your address!
Looks like its alive and well, so will wait until tomorrow night and post on Monday so keep your eyes open for Cobb & Co

Cheers
Bernie

karlkuehn
5th August 2007, 12:06 AM
Boy oh boy, you aussies better watch out. I Wikipedia'd "Brindle" and have some interesting ideas. The only brindle I ever knew about was dog fur.

Is there a standard kit that we use? I don't know if I can compete with a bunch of Majestics and Emporers, but I'll give it my best shot with my Peasants and Peons...heh

Skew ChiDAMN!!
5th August 2007, 12:19 AM
Boy oh boy, you aussies better watch out. I Wikipedia'd "Brindle" and have some interesting ideas. The only brindle I ever knew about was dog fur.

It's going to be interesting to see what timber we're given to work with. I guess you have an advantage over the rest of us, unless you're told what timbers we're using and limit yourself to the same. That's probably not feasible for you though, as in the past it's been predominantly Aussie woods.

Is there a standard kit that we use? I don't know if I can compete with a bunch of Majestics and Emporers, but I'll give it my best shot with my Peasants and Peons...heh

Any kit'll do. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm more interested in the different approaches and new ideas the swap brings to the fore, than whether the actual pens are saleable. :shrug:

Although being saleable does help boost the $$$ going to charity. :wink:

Matt88s
5th August 2007, 04:20 AM
If Karl is game so am I, count me in if I may be let in and its not too late. :)

BernieP
5th August 2007, 01:04 PM
G'Day Matt

To give the old swap a shot in the arm, I will be posting both you and Karl's blanks tomorrow with the rest (received your PM by the way) that way we will all have the same wood, kit is up to you.

G'Day Skew
Hope you agree with my sending some wood up to US, but figure who ever is next, can decide on their resources and state accordingly.

One thing I would like to see is our sponsor "Ubeaut" finishes are used as I believe they don't get enough thanks for this magic forum.

Final list will be posted tonight.

Cheers
Bernie

karlkuehn
5th August 2007, 03:45 PM
Uhhhh...Ubeaut? Where does one go about getting some of that, by the way? :)Ahhh, never mind...found it myself. Sometimes I forget I have the Internet at my disposal...:doh:

BernieP
5th August 2007, 10:39 PM
G'Day All

Here's the final list and blanks are packed and will be mailed in the morning

Simomatra
Skew Chidam
Touchwood
Lubbing5cherubs
Djstimber
Fireman Sam
Terry B
Matt88's
Mick61
Karlkuehn

Good Luck and look forward to seeing your efforts:2tsup:

Cheers
Bernie

BernieP
6th August 2007, 08:50 PM
G'Day All

Pen blanks posted today, told by Australia POst the two to USA will be there in 8 - 10 days.

Cheers
Bernie

David Mitchell
6th August 2007, 11:06 PM
G'Day David M

Welcome aboard, if you look in search at the top under pen swap you'll find about it all, but basically we take it in turn to post out 2 or 3 pen blanks in our choice of timber to the participants once a month and the one sending nominates a theme, this month "black white or brindle" interpret how you want using blanks received and at end of month show pics. One pen goes to charity at end of year others are yours to keep.

I will need you to PM (private Message) me your full name and address so I can post them, Hoping to post on Monday 6th.

Cheers
BernieHi Bernie
Unsure how this all works DM

BernieP
6th August 2007, 11:38 PM
G'Day All

Another happy swapee added to list..David.

Cheers
Bernie

mick61
8th August 2007, 04:36 PM
G`day got the blanks today thanks. Brindle?This should be interesting I have some ideas.
Mick:rolleyes:

Simomatra
8th August 2007, 06:05 PM
Thanks Bernie the pidgeons are fast this month they arroved today

Skew ChiDAMN!!
8th August 2007, 06:25 PM
Ditto. :hapy:

Fireman sam
8th August 2007, 06:36 PM
Mine arrive today thank you :2tsup:
Andrew

Terry B
8th August 2007, 11:33 PM
Mine have arrived. Thank you
Now to get up into that cold shed.:cold:

David Mitchell
8th August 2007, 11:37 PM
Hi Bernie
I am still unsure how this works,still finding my way around on the computer
Regards DM

BernieP
8th August 2007, 11:43 PM
G'Day David

Your blanks posted on Tuesday, so give them a few days to arrive, when they arrive get three kits and make some pens, post us pictures of finished items. If you have never made pens before one of these "expert pen craftpeople" will talk you through it as I'm far from an expert.

Cheers
Bernie

David Mitchell
8th August 2007, 11:48 PM
thanks for the reply Bernie
I have been making pens for years,
What it with the theme bit?
This all should be very interesting
Regards DM

Skew ChiDAMN!!
9th August 2007, 12:00 AM
The theme? "Black, white or brindle."

Your task? To make a pair of pens that incorporate that theme.

How? Well, that's what ALL of us have to work out. :D That's the challenge! (If you reckon that's hard, be thankful you didn't cop the harlequin theme that some dolt dreamed up. :rolleyes:) Once the month has finished and the photos go up so you can see what others have done, that's when everyone starts to think "now why didn't I think of that?"

I dunno about anyone else, but I've developed some new techniques that I'd never have thought of if I wasn't participating.

Touchwood
9th August 2007, 12:16 AM
I dunno about anyone else, but I've developed some new techniques that I'd never have thought of if I wasn't participating.

I'll second that ... a pen from one wood is now ... well ... almost boring ....except of course for really special woods.

be thankful you didn't cop the harlequin theme that some dolt dreamed up.
... still the only theme to date that went to double figure pages on the forum with puzzle solving thoughts,:? ideas,:o frustrations:doh: and sheer bloody mindedness :~ !!! But, how character building WAS that! :D

JD

karlkuehn
9th August 2007, 08:22 AM
Oh, see how you guys are! That's so unfair to us yanks to have to wait an extra 6-8 days! :~

Now I'm really gonna open up a can of whuparse. Matt, let's show these aussies how it's done.

Matt? Maaattt...?

Ok, what'd you guys do with Matt?!

:U

Matt88s
9th August 2007, 02:32 PM
Oy, Bloody right Karl, we'll show'em how its done. :2tsup::cool:

(psst, how is it done? :C )

karlkuehn
9th August 2007, 03:32 PM
Geez, Matt. Do I have to do everything? It's simple, really. I'll send you my spare bottle of super-brindler; available only in the US, of course. I think we're going to need all the help we can get. :U

I can't wait to see the blanks. They're probably having us on for a good laugh. They all get some really wonderful aussie wood, and you and I are going to get stuck with wombat antlers or something. :roll:

God bless America, home of the brave, waving grains and what-not!

DJ’s Timber
9th August 2007, 07:13 PM
Mine arrived today :2tsup:

Matt88s
10th August 2007, 08:55 AM
Geez, Matt. Do I have to do everything? It's simple, really. I'll send you my spare bottle of super-brindler; available only in the US, of course. I think we're going to need all the help we can get. :U

I can't wait to see the blanks. They're probably having us on for a good laugh. They all get some really wonderful aussie wood, and you and I are going to get stuck with wombat antlers or something. :roll:

God bless America, home of the brave, waving grains and what-not!

Ooo, wombat antlers, that will work out great, all we have to do is scrimshaw a brindle horse/dog/cat/matt onto it, and wala, a brindle pen. :U

Hold the super brindler, I think I have a bottle of it. (that is the stuff that you finish pens with, that ends up with you attached to the pen and once you're pulled apart it leaves a nice brindle pattern of bits of you on the pen right? I can't read all of the label my bottle but it starts with "Super". Excellent plan my man. :cool: I think I'm going to give mine a nice coat of that super brindler and then go chuck it at that nice brindle cow in my neighbors pasture. :q I'll tie a string to it to retrieve it with. Then I'll hunt up my neighbors brindle dog and after that maybe I can find a brindle cat..... :)

David Mitchell
10th August 2007, 09:09 AM
Thanks Bernie my blanks arrived yesterday, work will start !
regards David M

karlkuehn
10th August 2007, 10:21 AM
...Hold the super brindler, I think I have a bottle of it. (that is the stuff that you finish pens with, that ends up with you attached to the pen and once you're pulled apart it leaves a nice brindle pattern of bits of you on the pen right? I can't read all of the label my bottle but it starts with "Super". Excellent plan my man. :cool: ...

Yep! Th-ts the stuff! I w-s pr-cticing with it tod-y, in f-ct. Unfortun-tly, I seem to h-ve m-n-ged to brindle my left pinky to my keybo-rd, -nd then ripped out th-t p-rticul-r button. Guess th-t's wh-t I get for turning -nd typing simult-neously. Never fe-r! Soldier on, I -lw-ys s-y! :2tsup:

rodent
10th August 2007, 11:44 AM
Ca is used for battle injuries not to make them .

Matt88s
10th August 2007, 12:33 PM
Ca is used for battle injuries not to make them .

Rodent actually has a good point, in emergencies CA can be used to temporally close the odd battle axe or sword/spear wound. Duct tape works well also. (seriously) something we might keep in mind as we go to battle in our shops.

I know a fellow who had a ripping saw come to life and jump off a table and attack his leg. He duct taped it up and was good as new. :) (ok, maybe not, but it did get him to the hospital)

Personally I have such a love hate relationship with CA that I don't know that in a time of pain and wound that I would go reaching for the CA bottle, I'd probably glue my appendages together and bleed to death. Duct tape, on the other hand, is my friend. :q

http://www.admedsol.com/images/professional/flowcontrolimage.png
Single use cyanoacrylate for tissue adhesion.

Touchwood
11th August 2007, 01:36 AM
Oh, see how you guys are! That's so unfair to us yanks to have to wait an extra 6-8 days!
Never fear, some of us living in the same country wait a bit longer than everyone else!!! Mine only arrived today.

Ooo, wombat antlers, that will work out great,

..the wombat antlers look real good - can't wait to get them on the lathe!

Thanks Bernie, I'm amazed they are here so soon! Only good thing that happened today - tree fell on the rain water tank (20 000 gall/ 90 000l!!) just as I was about to leave for work this morning, and that seemed to set the tone for the rest of the day!

JD

BernieP
11th August 2007, 06:04 PM
G'Day JD

Sorry to hear about the tank, I can appreciate the horror of such an accident, as grew up depending on tank water.

Cheers
Bernie

lubbing5cherubs
11th August 2007, 09:07 PM
arrived Bernie thanks forgot to let you know
Toni

Skew ChiDAMN!!
12th August 2007, 12:44 AM
tree fell on the rain water tank (20 000 gall/ 90 000l!!) just as I was about to leave for work this morning, and that seemed to set the tone for the rest of the day!

So, what sort of tree? How many pen blanks do you expect to get out of it? :innocent:

Simomatra
12th August 2007, 11:33 AM
Sorry to hear about the tree JD as Skew says though you will be able to claim the tree and hopefully lots of timber for many projects

Mrs Woodpecker
12th August 2007, 03:52 PM
I would love to have a go.
Shirley

BernieP
12th August 2007, 04:17 PM
G'Day Shirley

A bit late, but if you can PM me your address I am going to Post Office tomorrow and will send you the blanks.

Cheers
Bernie

Touchwood
14th August 2007, 12:58 AM
So, what sort of tree? How many pen blanks do you expect to get out of it?

A very large banksia, close to 2m girth (which must have made her a great grand mother tree :( unfortunately) fell through a stand of peppermints onto a flinders range wattle - so take your pick!!! There is more wood than you can .... dare I say it .... poke a stick at!!!:D :D :D Fortunately the tank was full of H20 and as such as strong as it would ever be! Luckily, when chainsaw cleared the decks a bit, the damage was minimal (considering the amount of wood that came down) and fixable.

I'm thinking more pen blanks than I have years left!!

JD

Skew ChiDAMN!!
14th August 2007, 02:30 AM
Luckily, when chainsaw cleared the decks a bit, the damage was minimal (considering the amount of wood that came down) and fixable.

Good to hear. :2tsup:

I'm thinking more pen blanks than I have years left!!

Welcome to my world! :D I'll be interested to see how the Peppermint and FRWattle come out, they're new to me. Even if they don't turn out very well, the banksia alone should give you a nice kitty of blanks to swap with other people for some variety. :)

Of course, there's the problem of cutting such a big tree into so many little pieces... and finding somewhere to keep 'em all... :rolleyes:

Simomatra
14th August 2007, 09:45 AM
Good news Jenny not much damage and you have saved the water. Where I live it has become very precious

Looks as if you will have plenty of timber to keep you going. Be interesting to see pictures of thr FRwattle and the peppermint these are unknown to me

Matt88s
15th August 2007, 12:32 AM
Blanks have arrived, that was quick.

Thanks Bernie! :)

karlkuehn
15th August 2007, 09:32 AM
Aye, me too, got 'em! Thanks!

Now, what to design...

:)

Matt88s
15th August 2007, 10:30 AM
Aye, me too, got 'em! Thanks!

Now, what to design...

:)

I have no clue. I'm still scratching my head and going, hmmm, black white brindle, black white brindle, black white brindle. :C

BernieP
15th August 2007, 12:59 PM
G'Day Penners

Good seems most if not all have received blanks, am looking forward to pics, at the end of month.

Cheers
Bernie

karlkuehn
20th August 2007, 11:44 AM
This is either the best or worst theme ever.

Those blanks have now lived in my shop, by my computer, on my nightstand, in my work lunch box, in the bathroom (heh), in my truck...and they're still square and un-drilled.

blackwhitebrindleblackwhitebrindleblackwhitebrindleblackwhitebrindleblackwhitebrindleblackwhitebrindleblackwhitebrindleblackwhitebrindleblackwhitebrindleblackwhitebrindleblackwhitebrindleblackwhitebrindle

That's what my dreams are starting to be about. Too bad I can't remember them to get ideas from. 'Course, with my dreams, that's probably just as well. Don't want to scare anybody on the reveal. hehe

Skew ChiDAMN!!
20th August 2007, 02:10 PM
Et tu, Brute?

I've come up with a few ideas... but they're just different variations of pens already done - like the Hippotigrus one. :~ I think I might turn a white pen, a black pen, and take a photo of the mixed shavings on the floor to pass as brindle... :p

BernieP
20th August 2007, 07:17 PM
G'Day Penners,

"The Brindle pattern consists of stripe overlays on a base color. The base color is gold, red, or orange brindled with strong black cross stripes. The stripes may be broad or thin and may extend the entire width or part of the width." Refers to a dog but I guess would also apply to a pen :wink:

Thought I would give you an idea of my line of reckoning.

20th of August I think!:U

Cheers
Bernie

karlkuehn
21st August 2007, 09:24 AM
20th of August I think!:U
Cheers
Bernie

You're pure evil. :C

"The brindle pattern consists of the application of an inconceivable design that will ally itself with no practical application when applied to a crafted item that is dependent upon time constraints and individuality. The mind of the crafter may be stretched, elongated, folded, spindled, stapled or otherwise distorted with no apparent results. Side-effects may include frustration, bewilderment, disorientation and downright crankyness. Brindle patterns should not be pondered while driving, operating heavy equipment or conversing with a spouse as serious injury and possible death may occur."

Thought I'd give you an idea of the personal hell that I'm in. heh:U

Thank God I'm done with the chainsaw work. I could've been killed.

Matt88s
22nd August 2007, 11:42 AM
Any luck Karl?

I came up with a wowzer of an idea while I was looking at pen kits. I jumped up and down and shouted, Crikes, what a great idea! That night when I arrived back home I grabbed my pen kits and pen blanks and started marching off to the shop when I realized, in mid step, (literally), that

I'd forgotten what my idea had been. :C

:C

:no:

Now I'm not only thinking of brindle, brindle, brindle, but I'm wondering around trying to remember that idea that keeps flitting around the outskirts of my mind. This is going to drive me crazy. I think I'll go make a pen for my sis, maybe that will relax me. I started to make her one in Tulipwood but once I had it turned down it just really didn't look that nice, I was really disappointed with the tulipwood. I have a block of Pink Ivory though, I think I'll give that a try.

karlkuehn
24th August 2007, 02:20 PM
Fired up the shop, actually had some ideas.

Just offhand, pretend some moron had some really stupid ideas, hypothetically, of course. What would he have to do to get some more blanks? :p

Just kidding, every thing's fine, move along now, nothing to see here...that's it...we're walking, walking....

Actually, things are going great, I'm excited about finishing the pens this weekend. What was the award for suckiest pen ever?

My shop smells like I've had a cold for a week. Least I ain't got the sniffles. Neat wood, there!

Skew ChiDAMN!!
24th August 2007, 04:59 PM
What was the award for suckiest pen ever?

Getting to keep it. :D

karlkuehn
25th August 2007, 10:31 AM
What was the award for suckiest pen ever?

Getting to keep it. :D

Sweet. Imagine my excitement... :roll:

My plan to destroy my reputation as a successful pen turner is almost complete. heh

*Oh wait...I do have a reputation as a successful pen turner, right?*

Oh crud, did I say that out loud?