PDA

View Full Version : searching for a lathe Union Graduate/Jubilee/Wadkin..?

BritishLathe
1st August 2007, 09:29 AM
Hello.

My name is Fabian Mayer, I live close to Munich (Germany) and I am studying forestry...

I have been captivated by wood many years ago. About 8 years ago my family and I went on holiday to Bozen and I bought a few tools and some arollar pine? (pinus cembra) and started carving. I liked it but I had big difficulties in making bowls and in carving hard-wood. Some years passed by and I found out about turning this year.
Over an internet forum I found some people who where turning and so I dried to turn some things and was fascinated immediately. But most of all I liked turning bigger bowls (for fruits, salat,..). One only needs one tools for it and a bowl is such a good present or useful and nice object...

Well, so I started looking for a lathe but I had soon to find out that a lathe for turning bowls has to be a solid and heavy lathe and that it is very expensive, at least to expensive for me (%$§ student life). A friend of mine bought a Union Graduate bowl tunring lathe over the internet in GB and the price-performance ratio for such a lathe is very good.

So I decided to buy a Union Graduate or Union Jubilee 5 weeks ago but I have been quite unsuccessful, unlucky and at the moment I am very disappointed.. I bid on ebay 200 but it was nit enough.. I bid 250 it was not enough... I found a Union Graduate for 50 but the seller did not answer on my questions. I searched the internet about Union Graduate/Jubilee but I only found lathes in very good condition and too expensive for me (400-1500). I need a frequency converter for turning bowls and that will cost about 130. A friend of mine drive to GB every 3 weeks and he could pick up a lathe for me (around London) but that would cost another 65.

So I think I have to search for an old Union Graduate or Jubilee and I have to restaurate it. My only concern is that that is going to be very time consuming and in the end I have to pay even more because I have to chance all kind of things like bearing or whatever.

So at the moment I am depressed and don't know what to do. It is kind of difficult to arrange things when I live in Germany and there are just too many people looking on ebay..

I would be very thankful if somebody would help me.

Kind regards,
Fabian

Gra
1st August 2007, 09:38 AM
Guten tag (Hope Ispelled that correct)

Firstly Welcome aboard Fabian, you will find this board to be helpfull and full of ideas and tips. Your English is certainly better than my German. One thing you will find is that this forum is based in Australia, so we tend to be a little Australian biased, though we do have one or two members in you country as well as at least one in Italy and a couple in the UK, so not sure if we can help in the locating of a lathe for you, but stick around I am sure you will learn a lot from the guys here (I know I have) and keep us informed on you progress

BritishLathe
2nd August 2007, 07:36 AM
Yes, you spelled it correct but don't forget about the upper and lower case so you have to write "Guten Tag" :wink:

Guten Abend in die Runde (good evening everybody),

to be honest I didn't know that I am in Australia :rolleyes: Funny, isn't it... so far away from here... I have never been to Australia but I love Canada. Its not so overcrowed like Europe, its a big, free and wild country (like Australia). I like the language too (not the french though :no: :q :)). You can be lucky you don't have that "french-problem" :rolleyes: No, I am only kidding but I found out that many french people in France speak very bad English also in Quebec I was astonished how bad their English was.

Hm, if you can help me getting a lathe I will certainly keep you informed on my progress. That way I could even practice and improve my written English...

Kind regards,
Fabian

Richard Findley
2nd August 2007, 08:42 AM
Hi Fabian,

Graduate lathes are or were the lathe of choice for most pro bowl turners in the UK although many now use a VB36 - now that is a monster lathe:oo: !!!

I would imagine most of the guys on this site dream of Vicmarcs, as they are made down under, although they are available and increasingly used over here too.

I use a Jet lathe myself at the moment which I've found is made to proffessional quality standards but with a lower price tag than many.

I know of one German make of lathe which had a very good review in our "Woodturning" magazine about a year ago, I think they are called Steinart:? ?? And they may (or may not:B ) be made near the famous toy making area in Germany called Erzgeburg (I'm certain that's not spelled correctly:doh: !!)

The Graduate has recently been given a new lease of life by a UK based company. Their website is http://www.technologysupplies.co.uk/acatalog/Main_Menu_Metal_Wood_Lathes_816383.html. I've not looked at it yet so don't know how good it is but might be worth a look.

The only other lathe that springs to mind is the Hegner which I believe is German but I'm not sure.

Sorry to have rambled on a bit there but I hope some of the above is of some help to you. Good luck in your search:2tsup: ,

Richard

Richard Findley
2nd August 2007, 09:02 AM
Hi again Fabian,

The other thing to try in your quest for a Graduate is to post on the AWGB forum at http://www.woodturners.co.uk (AWGB is the Association of Woodturners of Great Britain).

Someone there may be able to help.

Good luck!

Richard

BritishLathe
2nd August 2007, 05:40 PM
Hi Richard,

yes, we do have awesome lathes in Germany like GEIGER, Steinert,etc. but I as you can read I don't habe thousands of euros for lathes like that. In my eyes I can get a solid lathe like the Graudate (I love it) cheaper in GB than in Germany.

Thanks for I am going to have a look in the evening http://www.woodturners.co.uk (http://www.woodturners.co.uk/)

Regards,
Fabian

OGYT
4th August 2007, 02:24 PM
Guten Abend, Fabian... WilKommen! (It is evening, here in Texas) :)
This is one of the most awesome woodturning forums in the entire world. These Blokes are "sere Gut". I'm from Texas, and they put up with me. :D
You'll enjoy it here!

G'day, Richard... Hegner makes the VB you mentioned. :secret:

Frank&Earnest
4th August 2007, 05:11 PM
Hi Fabian, welcome.
Have a look in this forum under Buy,sell and swap, there is a post from a place in Belgium that sells WW machines, might be a good place to start.
Cheers
Frank

BritishLathe
4th August 2007, 06:00 PM
Hello everybody in the whole wide world :rolleyes:

I found a Jubilee I would like to buy. However it is located up in the North of GB and I hope that a friend of my drives up that far....

I have a look at "Buy,sell and swap".

Thanks and greetings,
Fabian

PS
(Willkommen :2tsup:)

BritishLathe
27th September 2007, 07:07 PM
Hi everybody.

My special thanks to Richard Findley ! :2tsup:

I looked at the http://www.woodturners.co.uk (http://www.woodturners.co.uk/) Forum and I bought a Union Jubilee with a lot of equipent (chuck, 3 faceplates,etc.) in good condition for 300 pounds. I friend of mine transported it from Glasgow to Munich for 100 €.

I will keep you up to date about it... :-)

Kind regards,
Fabian

RETIRED
27th September 2007, 07:41 PM
Green with envy.

TTIT
27th September 2007, 11:46 PM
Hi everybody.

My special thanks to Richard Findley ! :2tsup:

I looked at the http://www.woodturners.co.uk (http://www.woodturners.co.uk/) Forum and I bought a Union Jubilee with a lot of equipent (chuck, 3 faceplates,etc.) in good condition for 300 pounds. I friend of mine transported it from Glasgow to Munich for 100 €.

I will keep you up to date about it... :-)

Kind regards,
FabianGlad it's all worked out for you Fabian. Looking forward to seing some of your work on here :2tsup:

profbernie
2nd June 2009, 11:51 PM
I have one in operational (but not mint) condition, dismantled ready for transport. It has a Gryphon 0.75HP, 240VAC motor two faceplates, two toolrests and a jacobs chuck. It is for sale at £150 ONO, buyer collects. Interested?

rsser
3rd June 2009, 06:01 AM
G'day profbernie and welcome to the forum.

The thread is two years old and he got it sorted.