PDA

View Full Version : Macrocarpa finishes

cesky
19th May 2001, 01:44 PM
As I upskill myself in this new venture of making furniture, I have chosen to use macracarpa, the cheapest source of timber (other than pinus radiata) available in this country. I can obtain good quality clears and have made some successful pieces and finished them in tung oil based products.
I have a client wishing to have a deeper colour than the natural golden macracarpa look. I have used a number of products including:
(a) Benjamin Moore penetrating oil based stain, where the grain is masked by the filler that comes in the stain.
(b) Dyes which leave the wood blotchey and
grubby looking.
I have had a sample test of a product called "Patique", which according to the blurb is made up of pigments, poly urathane, and oils. It is a wipe on paste which dries quickly. However without purchasing a container I cannot tell whether subsequent layers will produce the effect I want.
Does any body know this product? Is it colour fast? Or is there anybody out there with a tried and true method, other than spraying (I do not have the equipment)that works on macracarpa?
Cheers,
Cesky

Shane Watson
19th May 2001, 03:13 PM
Kia ora!
Never heard of it so can't offer any advice. But I just use an NGR stain sprayed on, best brand I have found is Croda. It dosn't have that blotchy effect common to stains. This can be brushed or wiped on as well. Or you could try water based dyes, I don't know much about them though ( am in the process of getting to know about them ) Neil can no doubt offer more on these.

Just for info sake, how much are you paying for this macro stuff? I mean in comparison to radiata I can buy in timbers like tassi oak much cheaper. But I am talking furniture grade. But thems the prices I pay for being 1000km from a major capitol..... http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/confused.gif

Cheers

------------------
Shane Watson..

Combine Love & Skill & You Can Expect A Masterpiece!

[This message has been edited by Shane Watson (edited 19 May 2001).]