PDA

View Full Version : Roller infeed/outfeed table

Sturdee
8th September 2003, 08:29 PM
Here is a photo of two roller stands I am building for use with my jointer and thicknesser. They will be used with my Tritin multistands. I prepainted the insides prior to assembly abd the second one is hanging from the adjacent wall. Regards, Peter.

ozwinner
8th September 2003, 08:49 PM
Ya gotta get away from tha orange skipper shes gonna blow...............

silentC
8th September 2003, 11:08 PM
Sturdee,

Great stuff. How 'bout some details? How did you make the rollers?

Sturdee
9th September 2003, 04:44 PM
silentC

Basically a rectangle box with cross bracing at the bottom.

Material used : Sides 2 * 860mm*135mm*16mm chipboard, Ends 2* 400mm*120mm*16mm chipboard, Bottom 2* 432mm*100mm*16mm chipboard and Centre 400mm*90mm*35mm pine.

The unit centre piece clamps into the multistand and thereby allowing height adjustment.

The rollers are metal with ball bearings at both sides and bought from " Pete's Bargain Centre " in Ringwood for $ 5 each.

Very simple to make ( once I had the rollers ) and very effective.

Regards,

Peter

silentC
9th September 2003, 04:49 PM
Peter,

Thanks.

Yes, I thought the rollers would be the tricky bit. I was thinking water pipe with press fitted bearings each end but if you can get them for $5 each it's hardly worth the trouble of trying to make them yourself.

Cheers,
Darren

wands
13th September 2003, 09:55 PM
Sturdee,
Where in Ringwood is Pete's Bargain Centre, or even better still, do you have their phone number?

Thanks, looks like a worthwhile jig to make.
Cheers, Steve :)

Sturdee
14th September 2003, 04:52 PM
Steve,

The address of Pete's Bargain Centre is 507 Maroondah Highway, Ringwood and their phone no : 9870 9577.

I bought my rollers early August amd he had plenty left at that stage but a phone call first might be wise.

Goodluck making it.

Peter.

Glen Bridger
25th September 2003, 09:13 PM
Hi Peter,

Well done on the design, its a good size.

Darren,

I have had similar problems designing the rollers too. I've seen some in second hand yard but they usually want too much for them or they're just not worth buying.
Here's what I came up with.
I made small rollers by using 25mm electrical conduit which happened to have the same inside dia as a cheap broom stick.
I just drilled a centred hole and tapped in a 3.75mm nail.

I made medium size rollers by using 32mm electrical conduit.
I then cut discs using a 32mm holesaw. The kerf of the holesaw is 2mm (roughly) and the wall of the conduit is 2mm. The disc already has a centred hole, so just put a little Araldite on it and tap it (squarely) into the conduit. Buy some steel rod and cut it to length.

For the rest, just follow Peter's design.

Glen

silentC
26th September 2003, 08:51 AM
Glen,

The uses of electrical conduit are seemingly endless! Thanks for the tip.

Cheers,
Darren

Chesand
15th October 2003, 09:44 PM
Have just picked up catalogue for THE WAREHOUSE and they have adjustable work support for $39-99 similar to Sturdees
They do not give dimensions but have 5 rollers and are adjustable in height from 670 to 1140 mm and have 40mm ball bearing rollers.
At that price might be worth a look
Also have portable floodlight 500W at $17-99