PDA

View Full Version : Travelling Vicmarc VL100 (minigloat)

OGYT
7th August 2007, 10:47 AM
Thanks to TD, in Georgia, I'm may now become a bodger. (have to be some short legs, huh. :D ) The Vicmarc was shipped Sat morn... got it at noon (it's now 7:10PM here) today (airmail). The 2x10 I had ready was just right. Turned a handle for the knockout rod while it was in the shop. It's smooth, quiet, and perfect for travellin'. The hinge pin comes out so I can carry the motor separately.

Pic one - Sittin' on the tailgate of my truck. I mounted a piece of 'soft-foot' floor mat on the bottom. I turned a little bit after the photo session. It stays put... don't even need to clamp it down. (the timber is small chunk of 40 year old Bois d'Arc fence post)

Pic two - different view. I've already switched the motor. Shown is a 1/2hp Marathon... it overheated, so I put on a 1/2 hp GE, enclosed fan motor (It was my buffer motor). (I had two old motors layin' round the shed, that I picked up at the metal pile at the landfill.)

Pic three - Can someone tell me how to mount a grindin' wheel on this end? I'd like to take the handwheel off, and somehow mount a grinding wheel in it's place. It's not threaded inside the spindle, but it is threaded on the outside. Don't know what the thread size is, though, because I haven't taken the handwheel off an looked. (wouldn't know if I saw it.)

BernieP
7th August 2007, 11:34 AM
G'Day Al

What a beaut set up, I'm envious, probably way off target but looking at your motor sitting there with the shaft sticking out I would look into the feasability of mounting grinding wheel to it away from your turning, just a thought probably rubbish:)

Cheers
Bernie

Frank&Earnest
7th August 2007, 11:59 AM
Hi Al. Looks like your dreams are coming true. Mechanically, I concur with Bernie, but then access to the grinding wheel would not be very good. All things considered, I would prefer buying a run of the mill 2 wheel 6" grinder that you can store away and pull out when needed. Does not need (at least, I never found the need for it) to be bolted down, and will do well the work it is designed to do. Granted, it takes a bit more room, but IMHO the trade off is in your favour. Best wishes for your travels.

rsser
7th August 2007, 02:09 PM
Looks like a real neat setup Al.

Have lathe will bodge ;-}

Re grinding, why not email Vicmarc about the thread size? I've found them fairly prompt and useful in responding to queries. www.vicmarc.com (http://www.vicmarc.com)

Or mount the wheel in an arbor, hold with Jacobs chuck or pin jaws and run it inboard? Then you have a ready-made tool rest and don't have to mess around with the handwheel. Just a brain-ripple ;-}

OGYT
7th August 2007, 02:18 PM
G'day Bernie. Thanks for the comments. Your idea's not rubbish at all. Good idea! But now that I've changed out the motor already, the shaft isn't long enough to mount an arbor and the pulley for the lathe. Wish it was, but I think F&E got it figured out. :D

F&E, You've come up with the answer for me! :logic: Sometimes my bulb don't light up all the way. :shrug: I've got an old swamp cooler motor that I'll have to put an arbor on. That's the most sensible thing to do. Have to learn how to free hand grind... shaky as I am, that may be a chore. Tryin' to save on more weight to carry.

Alastair
7th August 2007, 02:29 PM
Ern

Only problem with that is that you have to remove your workpiece from the lathe every time you need to sharpen. DAMHIKT

However, with those wimpy seppo timbers, probably don't need to sharpen between pieces anyway! :D

Good luck Al,

I envy you

OGYT
7th August 2007, 02:34 PM
Cheers, Ern. You posted while I was writin'. :) That's another good idea... grindin' inboard... but havin' to dismount the chuck and piece to sharpen doesn't sound good to me. Contactin' Vicmarc does, tho'. Their little four page manual does leave a lot to be desired. Nothin' good about the specs in it. Maybe they can identify those threads.

hughie
7th August 2007, 04:21 PM
Al,

Dunno if the outboard idea is a goer :? , hand wheels are usually held in place with a keyway and grub screw. Maybe Vicmarc has thought a head on this and it would need to be Left hand thread as well or some sort of arbor set up. I guess, see how you go with Vicmarc.

In board will work you just gotta be well organised. I tend to sharpen all mine at once and use my diamond lap to lick em up as I go.

Plus I see your switch/plug gear would be under the grinding area, perhaps some sort of cover etc.

My hinges are security door hinges, heavier than most. Maybe some of those heavy farm type gate hinges would do, reckon there would be a few around your area.

But it looks a great little lathe :2tsup: , looks new, is it?

Hardenfast
7th August 2007, 07:57 PM
Good to see that you're almost underway, Al. That's real dedication to your craft - fabricating a custom set-up to take with you. Very understanding of the missus as well.

Best of luck with your travels. Hope you get time to knock up a few pieces while on the road, and hopefully let us know how you're going.

Wayne

OGYT
8th August 2007, 06:00 AM
Had to look up "seppo" in my Australian Slang Program...Alistair, and you're right... that wimpy Bois d'Arc won't even dull my woodburner! :wink: :wink: Thanks for the good wishes. :)

Hughie, I've already discounted the idea of outboard grinding. I've decided to use the Marathon motor that I took off the lathe (in the pictures it's on the lathe). I'll mount it on some sort of timber with a riser, and cobble together a wolverine-type leg to use to grind my gouges. I can fix the length of the leg to match my current setup for some gouges. When it begins to wear (sharpening/dressing), I'll add a shim to keep the right bevel. Keep it small and light as possible, and simple too.
Those farm gate hinges are too sloppy, but your security hinges that are tight and tough are the right thing. :D
And yes, it's a new lathe. It was the last one he had in stock, as he quit handling them due to some misunderstanding with the owner of the company. It's really well made, and the tailstock and banjo lock down tight and don't budge. I'm very pleased with it.

Wayne, thanks for th' comments. True, Her Highness is truly an understanding lady. (gullible, too, bless her heart... for stickin' w/me for 49 years) :D
We're not going to stay on the road all the time, though. We're going to see how we get on with more travellin', and if it all works out, maybe we'll get to hit some of the out of the way craft shows here in the upover. Gotta sell enough to buy the fuel and groceries... And just so we don't get in a hurry goin' down the trail, everytime I see a downed tree, I'm gonna stop and pick up a chunk. :D Hmmm... that might call for a timber trailer, too... Nah. Then I'd be too long for the road.
Maybe I'll be able to hook up to the Net, some places, so I won't be havin' withdrawals from this bunch o' timber spinners. :U

OGYT
8th August 2007, 03:14 PM
Stuck this piece of ash on the Vic just to make sure I had the blank round enough to fit it, before I left my bandsaw behind. This was supposed to be a blank I was takin' on the trip.:-

Pic one. 245mm dia. Mounted using a Nova Faceplate Ring. Just got it where it'll spin, and started a little shaping on the bottom, and thought maybe I'm overtaxin' it. :o Decided to take a pic.

Pic two. After a little preliminary shaping of the outside, about 225-230mm. One thing's for sure, the toolrest won't reach around this piece.

Is it too big for this lathe, or not? I don't want to put a little too much strain on the headstock bearings. :?

rsser
8th August 2007, 03:32 PM
If you can fit it you can turn it Al.

Piece of p*ss ;-}

DJ’s Timber
8th August 2007, 04:06 PM
I would be more worried if the motor could cope, rather then the headstock bearings.

The Vicmarcs are good solid machines and there is not much that they can't handle

OGYT
8th August 2007, 04:24 PM
Thanks for the answers, Ern and DJ. Appreciated.

Ern, is that like a "piece of "cake"" as we say here in the upover...? :D

rsser
8th August 2007, 04:42 PM
Got it in one Al.

Not bad for a seppo ;-}

hughie
8th August 2007, 11:26 PM
Those farm gate hinges are too sloppy, but your security hinges that are tight and tough are the right thing. :D

We call em Butt hinges here and they are used on front and back doors etc, darned if I can remember if they have the same name ''up-and-over''.
But any hinges off the old fire doors or security doors etc, I seem to remember such things went for pennies up your neck of the woods.

And yes, it's a new lathe. It was the last one he had in stock, as he quit handling .

Great!........sigh, getting envious..:C :U on the road and bodging,
another Grey Nomad. :D

Bearings, would not even give a thought for at least 5-10years. About the only thing you might change is the motor to 1hp - :U more grunt is good!

Stu in Tokyo
8th August 2007, 11:36 PM
Great looking set up Al!

You might want to get some custom made tool rests for it, get on that has a curve to it, that will help you reach the outside of that larger blank!

Nice job!

OGYT
9th August 2007, 05:24 AM
1hp Hughie? My name is Allen, but it ain't Tim Allen. :) Yep, they're called butt hinges here, too. I'm gonna look for some of them in my trips around the area. I do need to beef it up somewhat. I think I'm gonna enjoy bein' a grey nomad. :U

Thought about those curved rests Stu, but didn't know if the base would be strong enough for that far a reach. Thought I might get another base... curved rest between two bases, sorta thing. But that may be overkill, on that little lathe. I think, since I'm usin' a faceplate ring, that it'd be pretty simple to just dismount the bowl, move the rest to the inside, and remount. Heck, if I make this stuff any easier, I'm liable to get lazy. And nobody likes a lazy bodger. :)