PDA

View Full Version : Flooded Gum

Jedo_03
9th August 2007, 12:25 AM
Be grateful for info on Flooded Gum slabs...
2 yrs old
Maybe not quite dry...
Is it OK to work with?
Suitable for a bar top?
Finishes ok? - what with?
Be grateful for any other info...
Thanks
Jedo

ian
9th August 2007, 12:46 AM
hard and heavy

I build a set of drawer fronts using it, finished them with white shellac – I love the look

for a bar top (in Broken Hill) I'd suggest something other than shellac maybe sand to 400 or finer and wax

ian

weisyboy
9th August 2007, 08:56 AM
fg is good timber i have been trying to finde some for a table for the last year.

it is hard and heavy as all gums are. but comes up a treat we used it to build our last boat as it bends realy good.

finishes realy goo sand to about 100 grit and wse a floor varnish as it dose not scratch and will keep those overflows from staining the wood.

Jedo_03
9th August 2007, 08:18 PM
Thanks Ian and weissy...
Jedo

Jedo_03
16th August 2007, 07:33 PM
well there's a bloke over in northern NSW selling FG and it's cheap enough.
I asked him if he could supply a slab 5metres x 600mm x 50mm and he told me yes - so big enough for your table weissy... pics I saw of it were ok
he advertised on here last week... offering FG and tallowwood and some other species...
Jedo

noelhi1
21st August 2007, 11:27 AM
I have used flooded gum for all my own furniture and 3 sets of kitchens, cupboard doors for others The timber had been stacked in Grafton for about 28 years so well and truly dry I found as long as you used your tools in away that you only took a small amount of cut at a time to stop it from grabing or chipping it was great to work with.I finished with Danish oil came up great It has a littel movement but not much to worry about.It has a great colour

glock40sw
21st August 2007, 01:12 PM
G'day.
The plantation Flooded Gum we are currently milling is far lighter in colour than the natural regrowth or old growth flooded.

Machines a lot easier too. less torn grain or chip-out.
We were exporting it to Finland, but they pulled out. The lower grade material that we have left here is being donated to the high schools in the Clarence Valley area. hopefully some of the woodwork students can find out what a great specie Flooded Gum is.

Dion N
21st August 2007, 07:58 PM
I have a cluster of 5 mature FG trees on my block of land and was considering whether or not to knock them down and get them milled when it comes time to build a house. From what I've read so far, it seems that it could be worthwhile in terms of getting some decent timber for some projects. How long would I need to air dry it for? 12 months?

markharrison
21st August 2007, 10:58 PM
Depends on how thick it is cut. The general rule is 12 months for each 25mm. Note that I'm not an expert on timber milling and drying. There are others here with more expertise.