PDA

View Full Version : re designing the work bench WIP

Bryan1982
11th August 2007, 11:59 PM
well recived my new record / irwin bench vise it only opens up 390mm 53ED it is.

and got a veritas tail vise the thread is 440mm on that.

so now its onto the design of it. im changing most of what people useually do with the base of it well all of it, issing me off having rail going from one side to the other and no useable space uderneath..

1. the other thing i dont get is metal / brass bench dogs do they damage you work? and if you hit one with the plane blade ouch???

2. Having all those holes in your bench waiting for that small piece of veneer to fall down it or bit of timber that has broken off or drill bit any thing does it anyone else off???

as for what the base and top will look like well you will just have to wait and see but it will be different i think!!!!!!!!!!!

there will be dog holes in it. i like that idea of been able to clamp stuff with the tail vise and main vise using the dogs ( i have never had or used a tail vice before) but the dogs will be flush with the top and every hole will have its own dog.
and not brass unless someone can convince me otherwise................

all coments / suggestions welcome.

Wongo
12th August 2007, 12:39 AM
Great, go for it. :2tsup:

Show us how are you going to save the space uderneath. But I don’t see the need to be different as long as it is strong, heavy and flat.

Bryan1982
12th August 2007, 01:01 AM
it will be rock solid heavy and flat....

did you use to play ball? who for??