PDA

View Full Version : Chairs

nfld steve
12th August 2007, 12:24 AM
Hi everyone,I've been reading on your site for awhile now,and love it!There's so much interesting stuff here.
I'm a beginer on the lathe,a couple of years off and on,I have a Delta Midi,and just bought a Delat 14" swivel head lathe,I love it.
Anyway,I was wondering if any of you have tips or know of any tutorials for making wooden chairs?I'm going to try one,or more if I can for our dining table.
I'll have a look around a,d in the meantime,if anyone knows of any good info,could you let me know?
Thanks alot ,and I'll be talking to you later,Steve

ticklingmedusa
12th August 2007, 07:51 AM
Try FineWoodWorking.com/Turning I think I saw some chair basics there.
tm

BernieP
12th August 2007, 01:08 PM
G'Day Steve

Welcome aboard attached is an interesting site, and has idea for turned chair, stool etc. Don't forget photos of your efforts.
http://www.bloodandsawdust.com/sca/turnedchair.html

Cheers
Bernie

Stringy
12th August 2007, 10:11 PM
Hey Steve,

Built myself 10 dining chairs a couple of years ago.

I wanted to build them to my own design and not a comercial one or from one of the magazine plans I have seen. one of the most important issues was that the chair would have to be comfortable. I visited quite a few furniture showrooms and searched for pictures until a basis for the design was established, then went searching for a book on basic chair ergonomics. Ended up buying "The Best Seat in the House" by Peter Dorman, it is a small (about 70p) Australian book on making chairs with a strong focus on ergonomics.

The results speak for themselves as now I have 10 dining chairs which always recieve compliments regarding their excellent lower back support.

The Best Seat in the House
by Peter Dorman
Skills Publishing pty ltd
8 Livingstone Street. Lawson Business Park, Lawson, NSW, Australia, 2783