PDA

View Full Version : beach fishing near hobart

andrew29
12th August 2007, 12:42 PM
Hi,

I'm thinking about buying a surf rod and trying to catch something closeish to hobart.

Also I've always liked the idea of soft plastic fishing for flathead in estuaries but havent tried any yet.

Is either as simple as getting some gear and finding a likely looking beach/bay and giving it a go?

any suggestions much appreciated!

thanks

Bleedin Thumb
12th August 2007, 12:58 PM
I didn't even know they had surf down there! Must have been very flat conditions when I was there.:-

Anyway my recomendation would be to get a smaller rod that you can use for small surf and estuary about 8 or 9 feet. For a reel get one with a good retreive ratio so you can spin if you want to, the reel doesn't have to be big just nicely balance on the rod.

Start with a combo setup from Kmart ... until the fishing bug bites you!

Enjoy.

wheelinround
12th August 2007, 05:21 PM
after seeing news last night a hand line would do from front steps reports of Derewnt breaking its banks

skrout1
19th November 2007, 12:07 AM
G'day andrew 29,

I was just looking at the fishing threads and come accross yours. I know you posted this a few months ago but if you get it it will help. I lived in Tassie for a couple years and lived across the river at lindisfarne. Not sure if you know of any spots or not but head down to Clifton Beach. At the other end of the beach away from the surf life saving club you get to some rocks. Walk along those and spin some 30g wobler lures and you will get onto some really good salmon. Bait fishing will get you a variety of other fish as well.

andrew29
20th December 2007, 04:44 PM
thanks skrout1 I'll give it a try

splah
5th July 2008, 07:43 PM
Hi Andrew 29. Just joined the forum and was searching around for some rod racks and came upon your post. Have done a fair bit of beach fishing around the place. I live in good old Bellerive, give me a pm and we'll have a chat

TJFive
11th September 2008, 12:59 PM
Hi Guys!

I am also a new comer to these beautful waters around Hobart :D. In the not too far distant future (when I have available funds) I plan to buy a boat to cruise around all these little inlets and rivers to fish the days away. But for now, I must fish with my feet on the ground (or shore if you will). I need some help friends. Where are some good saltwater fishing locals around Hobart. I am not fussy on what to catch, as long as it is legal size and I can eat FRESH FISH for dinner. I will appreciate ANY TIPS guys, I really do need the help! Also, whats better bait OR soft lures. I am really stumbling around in the dark! Looking forward to ANY info chaps. Cheers :U

TJFive!