PDA

View Full Version : end play

weisyboy
12th August 2007, 08:48 PM
the headstock has some endplay about 2mm it dosent sound much but when i get a peice nearly done and am making the finishing cuts and it moves causing a dig in and a deep groove.

I suspect it is just a worn bearing.

any thaughts would be apreciated.

DJ’s Timber
12th August 2007, 09:06 PM
What type of lathe have you got?

weisyboy
12th August 2007, 09:21 PM
its just a crap little gmc but it dose the job for me.

ss_11000
12th August 2007, 09:30 PM
mate, get a new lathe:D, it will solve ya problems lol.

Christopha
12th August 2007, 10:01 PM
its just a crap little gmc but it dose the job for me.
Actually it doesn't sound like it IS doing the job... I suggest you invest in a higher quality machine, you don't need to spend a fortune but the ease of use, reliability etc will make a helluva difference. :wink:

joe greiner
12th August 2007, 11:49 PM
Upgrading to a higher quality machine is the easy answer to any deficiency. Bearing replacement could be feasible if you have no other dissatisfaction, though. For a temporary fix, as long as it doesn't interfere with faceplate or chuck work, stabilize the piece with the tailstock as much as possible. That said, how old is your lathe? I.e., how long did it take to achieve this status? Also, how intensive has been your use? If less than a couple years of occasional work, or if bearing replacement seems too onerous, upgrading would be the much better path.

Joe

BANNED
13th August 2007, 12:31 AM
Hi weisyboy,
I would say that the bearings are worn, as they are not made to last long if you worked them hard, I know because I got a GMC, which I replaced with a Nova 1624, a few weeks back. Just before you put it a side, take the belt out and check for possible movement from those 4 bolts holding the spindle housing, if they come lose it will wobble quite a bit. If the problem is worn bearings, nothing stops you to replace them, taking into account that unless you get the bearings very cheap and you do the job yourself, a good quality set of bearings will cost you as much as a new GMC.
Do I recommend you to repair it?, only if you don't spend much on it.
Do I recommend you to replace it with another GMC?, only if you only got $100 to spend.
Do I recommend you to upgrade? yes, spend as much as you can afford on a lathe, you will get what you paid for, most of the times!
GMC's are a great starting tool, indeed lots of people have became turners, due to the simple fact that they could have a go at wood turning, without costing them a fortune.
I have found that a worn GMC, still makes a excellent wood polisher, just by inserting a buffing wheel/pad on it.

Good luck
Cheers
GV

weisyboy
13th August 2007, 08:51 AM
i have had it for 3 years and have done about an hour every day.

i do not have any money to spend at the moment.

anyone want to swap?

but i went and had a look thismornin and there is a sirclip mising on the head end of the shapt just befor the bearing so i will make one up today.