PDA

View Full Version : Timber Projectiles...!

BANNED
15th August 2007, 04:04 AM
Hi everyone,

Timber projectiles? How lucky are you with them?
Hope luckier them me, I just had one this evening, that nearly took my head off. A very heavy peace of hardwood, after been round and clean at slow speed, didn't like the 2440 RPM, as it come out in two peaces, one hitting the shed's wall, making a heck of a noise and dint, the other one decided to go up and smash the double fluorescent light, just above my head. This log is about 3 kg and one peace is around double in size of the other. I had to take a photo, and share this in this forum, I'm certain lots of you guys, experienced some hairy stuff also, huh? lets share it...!

Cheers
GV

Toolin Around
15th August 2007, 09:34 AM
I never used to wear a face field. I have pretty thick glasses that I always joked were bullet proof so I'd be alright if I got hit. I've dodged a lot of chucks in that time too. About 6 years ago a mate who also wears glasses had a piece let go and hit him in the cheek and eye brow. The lenses of his glasses survived the impact easily - didn't even break the frames. But! The lense popped out of the frame and was driven into the eyeball effectively destroying it. Ironically if he hadn't had his glasses on he'd still have his eye as the piece was too large to have contacted the eye (obviously he should have been wearing a face shield...). Needless to say since then I wear a face shield religiously.

Gra
15th August 2007, 09:42 AM
Brown pants time Huh.

It certainly is scary, I have had a couple let go on me, always wear either a face shield or the triton (Depends if it is charged). It has saved my head at least twice. Last time I had a goblet split right down the middle. (Bummer as it had perfect wall thickness all the way down:(() One piece hit the back wall and the other hit where my forehead should have been.

Usually it is caused by a fault in the timber (Though at least one was caused by a DU error)

bitingmidge
15th August 2007, 09:45 AM
I wear a face shield religiously.

I know what you mean.

I stand clear, switch on...... and pray!

Cheers,

P
:D :D :D

Hardenfast
15th August 2007, 09:47 AM
Actually GV, I would definitely say you're definitely lucky given the size of those chunks of hardwood. Unlucky would have been wearing a piece on the forehead!

I will watch this thread with great interest. I have seen some of the horror stories and a few pictures, but I'm guessing we don't see too many of the really good/bad ones. Of course, while it's mostly timber that seems to exit the lathe at speed, I've seen that it's also broken chisels that can fly around the workshop like ninja knives. Holey Moley!

I have a current thread here which examines the pros & cons of segmented versus solid turning, and it's somewhat interesting that several of the comments referred to failure of the segmented pieces while turning. To me it seems that solid pieces can be more dangerous because of unseen faults & defects within the piece, and there is also the necessity to start of with unbalanced, irregular pieces.

When you have a look at the inside of the piece you were turning the problem/s is somewhat more obvious. Yikes! You deserve some points for even putting that on a lathe. Looks like I've gotta get me a good face shield.

Gra
15th August 2007, 09:50 AM
I know what you mean.

I stand clear, switch on...... and pray!

Cheers,

P
:D :D :D

Didn't you see my post in the census thread about listing your religion as woodworking. that way your shed becomes the place of worship... And any offering to s the god would then become tax deductible (One can only try)

Cliff Rogers
15th August 2007, 09:59 AM
2440 is a bit fast for something like that I reckon. :rolleyes:

You can put that one in your 'experience' file. :D

Wayne Blanch
15th August 2007, 10:05 AM
I had one a couple of months ago that exploded and one of the larger chunks flew across the shed missing my head by mm's and totally destroyed my CD player. It had travelled about 3 meters before contacting the music machine:((

It could have been much worse tho it missed me completely.:U

I have been really lucky, I have only had a couple of small bits hit me above the shoulders and one large blank (that some idiot didn't secure in the chuck properly:~ ) hit me in the chest but only caused a bruise and a little cut.

soundman
15th August 2007, 10:37 AM
Hmmm I agree that the speed was a little..........:? ..imprudent.
Just looking at the blank...... splitty, cracky......hmmmmm......a brave attempt at any speed in my view.:fingerscrossed:

remember there is a farmyard bird that my be able to help you in these situations...now what was it.
:?

chicken.:chick: .....no
goose......maybe not:no:
turkey....not in this situation:roll:
I know
DUCK :giveup3:

of if you are too slow:)( :brick::stretcher:

cheers

benji79
15th August 2007, 10:37 AM
Ive had two come off, both using my cole jaws on out of round wood. One went over my shoulder and put a dent in the back wall of the shed. The other was last week and i copped a piece of Sasafrass in the chest, the bruise is just fading now. :cry4:

Benji

BernieP
15th August 2007, 11:34 AM
G'Day GV

When I was first shown how to use a lathe I was told to always stand aside, and to rest one end of the gouge on the toolrest and the other end on the piece of mounted wood, at an angle, before turning on. this simple action deflects the wood away from you. After a while it becomes second nature,just like putting you car seat belt on. (Pic #1) It works for me:2tsup:

Also if you make a bush for your toolrest so it is always at the same height helps stop digins (see pic #2)
Cheers
Bernie

BernieP
15th August 2007, 12:57 PM
Bump added Pictures

Cheers
Bernie

Gra
15th August 2007, 01:01 PM
Bernie.

Would have thought, if the wood went ballistic, it would also send the chisel ballistic :o. What is stopping the chisel flying off?

When starting I always stand out of the firing line

Alastair
15th August 2007, 01:31 PM
Cliff has the right of this. I would only use that speed for something small and short, like pens.

That diameter, probably run at 800-1000, . Pick up to 1200 -1500 for finishing cuts and detail, if necessary.

Secondly, that was a fairly seriously cracked bit of timber. If cracking is visible on blank, or shows up on roughing, proceed with caution.

Thirdly, use your ears. A cracked piece will often announce itself by a different sound while cutting.

Finally, I have adapted my turning style, so that (particularly with faceplate work) I seldom stand in the danger zone. Even more so with big, gnarly, spalted, cracked and other such unsavoury characters. This is more problematic with b/c pieces, but can still be done to a degree.

BernieP
15th August 2007, 01:31 PM
G'Day Gra

One would hope you would have hold of one end of the chisel ? As I say works for me:wink:

Cheers
Bernie

Sebastiaan56
15th August 2007, 02:23 PM
GV,

I was taught the same was as Bernie, stand well clear when starting the lathe up. I also remember a series of posts concerning speed. Since then I only run at high speed (2000) when Im polishing, normally 800 is sufficient,

But Ive had stuff blow up and fall out of chucks, wear dark underpants and a faceplate.

Sebastiaan

BANNED
15th August 2007, 05:15 PM
Hi everyone,

Thanks for yours responses so far. I agree with everyone about all the steps and procedures to be taking into consideration, when it comes to accident prevention, as also all the safety equipment available for such type of work, nevertheless, this is not always 100% effective, there are situations where, the best and safe practises aren't enough. In reality, anyone that does wood turning, irregardless of type of timber used, safe measures and/or good habits, is going to be hit for sure, the question is not if or when, but rather how big the peace will be, and where it going to hit. I'm afraid, praying isn't going to help much, sorry! indeed is not much one can do prevent the unpreventable, unless you don't do, any wood turning. The chances are, you are not going to be any greater deal safer, by not to, I reckon.
Going back just a little, when turning, I ware a one peace overalls (voiding catches from lose clothes), safety boots, full face safety mask, paper dust mask, leather left hand safety glove (fingers, half cut off) and a head cap (baseball type) turned back to front. Before turning the lathe on, I look for any obstacles ( chuck key, etc. etc.,), and I position myself on the left of the spindle (any kind of wood, and any speed), until the wood is turning full motion, normally 10 to 20 seconds. Interestingly, a similar peace from the same log was turned a few days back, following the same procedures, without any problems. The log was roughly shaped at 440 RPM, until turning balanced, only after this step, the lathe was turn at my average finishing speed of 2440. I accept that this speed is fast, and not suitable for some woods, in some cases, I was perfectly aware of the log cracked condition, but not aware of the full separation through the middle.
Being a very old log, the wood inside was showing its age, and week structure condition, indeed the main reason why I tried to turn it and make something that would represent that once a tree specimen, for many years to come. My other peace did turn nice, so I tried to create something else out of the other half log left, following the same careful steps, mainly at high speed, which was the best speed tested to make clean cuts due to the timber conditions. The separation only happen after I turned the lathe on, and waited for the timber to gain full speed and self vibration calibration, 30 seconds or so into this always dangerous stage, I moved to my normal working position, and reached for the cutting tool, hanged on a board behind the lathe at easy reach, when without any notice, the two halves went flying, by then, I was court by surprise, in a very vulnerable position, and unable to "duck", indeed too fast to do anything.
With safety gear or not, I'm very lucky that I wasn't hit anywhere by one of those heavy duty missiles, as that would have hurt like hell!. The dint on a shed wall, is not a problem, the double fluro lights have been replaced, the glass removed from everywhere, shavings clean, dust clean, and guess what, I will be turning this evening, and is not going to be just any peace of wood either, yeah you guessed it, is going to be the second round on that log, after spending all night and part of today, drying from plenty of glue, I put on it, last night.
Who's going to win? I'm not sure, yeah I will soon find out.
Any bets, ladies and gentleman?
What are my odds? 50/50

Well, if you don't hear from me either late tonight or some time tomorrow, is a good change that I lost...!

Cheers
GV

PS: I have just took the pics of the trouble log, and it seems (quite visible in the pic), that the glue is not yet dried, so I will have to postpone the all venture, for another day or so, oh well...!

Alastair
15th August 2007, 05:32 PM
Read carefully now

DON'T DO IT!

nuff said:meg: :urstupid: :negrep:

Gra
15th August 2007, 05:34 PM
Read carefully now

DON'T DO IT!

nuff said:meg: :urstupid: :negrep:

Kinda gotta agree with Alistair here, also how are you mounting it in the chuck? That tenon looks mighty small for the size of the blank, but i'm woosie

Skew ChiDAMN!!
15th August 2007, 06:07 PM
Hmmm... if that's of similar size to the first one, then the stub has been sized for 45mm jaws? That should be OK. But that 'ole at t'other end... that's just to start hollowing, isn't it? You don't plan on using it for reverse mounting with the jaws in expansion mode are you? :no:

FWIW, when first mounted I'd start the lathe at it's slowest RPM for roughing. Once brought cylindrical, listen to the tool as it takes a fine pass and you'll hear it "ticking" as it passes over the cracks... you'll find that in general, any cracks that are still "open" and likely to seperate will make a higher pitched tick. If you hear a noticeably higher pitched tick, step to on side, shut down the lathe and inspect the blank very, very closely.

If all is well, or no loud ticks heard, slowly ramp the speed up as you work and listen, listen, LISTEN! Any time the "tick tempo" suddenly changes or a new tick starts, the odds are good you have a bomb on your hands. Step out of the firing line quickly, before you even reach for the off button!

Another trick is to turn just the outside section closest to the tailstock to near final size, then wrap it in duct-tape, much as you've done for the glue up. Then turn the other end to near-final size and, again, duct-tape it. Depending on the blank length, you may repeat this several times at various positions. Finally, start hollowing carefully, carefully. (And keep yer ears working!) At least if it blows large pieces aren't going to become high-speed missiles, although smaller pieces might. And spinning a bag of spuds on the lathe can be detrimental to the health of the tool-rest, but better that than in yer face, eh? DAMHIKT. :-

I may not be a pretty bloke, but I reckon I'd be a damned sight uglier if I hadn't learned these "tricks." :rolleyes: I turn a helluva lot of punky, rotten wood and my scare reflex is highly tuned. Now, if only I could develop my spider- or grub-senses... :p

Alastair
15th August 2007, 06:41 PM
Skew,

I think that is the previously exploded piece which he has glued back together with white pva, (still wet in photo), and clamped with tape.

Hence my comments

Skew ChiDAMN!!
15th August 2007, 07:37 PM
PVA? :oo:

I'd have used as good an epoxy as I could lay my hands on...

Wood Butcher
15th August 2007, 07:52 PM
Talking about timber projectiles. At one School I have been at they had replaced one window behind a lathe 4 times before they thought it a good idea to move the lathe.:doh:

hughie
15th August 2007, 08:15 PM
And spinning a bag of spuds on the lathe can be detrimental to the health of the tool-rest, but better that than in yer face, eh? DAMHIKT. :-

could not have put it better my self.

Dont like reminders of my mortality :U

mick61
15th August 2007, 10:07 PM
G`day my standard practice is

Stand aside at start up.

If unsure use a mask or triton

Start slow.

Most hits i have had i have been wearing mask(common sense or luck):2tsup:

Sorry bernie but that chisel could in extreme case flip over the lathe and land anywhere.

Have had a small chisel torn out of hand and bounce around the shed (long time ago):doh:
mick:D

Tornatus
15th August 2007, 10:58 PM
I'm trying to find a way of saying this which will not offend too many people, but -

with some individuals, no matter what well-meaning advice you give them, their ambitions will always exceed their capabilities.

Or to put it another way - the disintegration of poor-quality blanks which are insecurely mounted and spun at far too high a speed is Nature's way of eliminating certain individuals from the gene pool ... :;

BANNED
16th August 2007, 02:24 AM
Hi everyone, courageous or not so! hahahahahahaah

I understand why some people find these sort of actions, totally outrageous, on the other hand I also understand why some people wouldn't consider work with exceptional dangerous and difficult "blanks", by the simple fact, they wouldn't know how to do it!
I believe, most of the best peaces turned, have come from the less expected places and blanks, not that different to those that prefer to turn certain types of burls, even if they are kept together with tape, wire, glues, clamps and other. Turning old and disintegrating timbers (logs), can be as dangerous and difficult as they are rewarding in the end. Why would one decide to turn an old peace of unknown wood, when he's got plenty of other new (green/dry) timbers (blanks)? If you don't know the answer, I believe, you have a poor knowledge of timbers, and a total disrespect for nature. In any case, I open this thread, giving an recent example of my own, not being so much concern about what other people think of it, but as an example of what can go wrong, when dealing with turning timbers of any age, size, colour or species. Everyone have experience these sort of events, would be a lot more educative and useful, if people would be honest about their accidents or stuff-ups, by providing their examples, as a fact of life, instead of being worried about what other people would think about it, or how much that would affect their reputation and or image. There is always something to learn about other people examples, as is pleasant to have some constructive and relevant criticism, about something you are experiencing, (thanks Skew ChiDAMN!!, you reminded me of some good pointers. Sorry Skew, but your comments about my mounting system did miss an important clue, which is only visible on my first pic of the log when separated.:D ).

Thanks also to other comments made so far, but could some you come forward and gives some other examples of timber projectiles experience, possibly with some pics of the event? please, thank you.

Now, to Mr. Tornatus,
You will be alright mate, is obvious that you disapprove of what I'm trying to do, which is OK with me, that's your opinion, I respect that, but doesn't mean I agree. Free world, great thing...!
On the other hand, if what you said is true, (" the disintegration of poor-quality blanks which are insecurely mounted and spun at far too high a speed is Nature's way of eliminating certain individuals from the gene pool ... :;)", wouldn't be any turners left, huh?:U
I don't particularly care if you are going to be offended or not, but don't you thing that is wrong to judge others capabilities, when you don't know them from a "bar of soap"? what makes you so sure?
You know, most of the people I know, who's capabilities exceed average, have reach that position by exceeding their ambitions? funny, isn't it?
Now that we got over with it, have you have any experiences that can enrich all our knowledge, relevant to the thread topic? Thank you.:2tsup:

Cheers
GV

Cliff Rogers
16th August 2007, 02:31 AM
any experiences that can enrich all our knowledge, relevant to the thread topic?

I'll interpret it for you.....

He says...
Don't spin crap timber on a piddly mount too fast. :wink:

A few of us have been trying to say the same thing. :D

Calm
16th August 2007, 11:35 AM
Out of curiosity could you just answer a couple of questions

Skew,

I think that is the previously exploded piece which he has glued back together with white pva, (still wet in photo), and clamped with tape.

Is the glue yuo have use to make the "repair" PVA glue?

Sorry Skew, but your comments about my mounting system did miss an important clue, which is only visible on my first pic of the log when separated.:D ).

I have checked the first photos and must be blind but i cannot identify the system you have used to mount it. How exactly was it mounted?

Alastair
16th August 2007, 11:45 AM
Have to say I'm with Cliff and Tornatus on this one.

There IS a difference between brave and foolhardy.

Calm
16th August 2007, 11:58 AM

You know, most of the people I know, who's capabilities exceed average, have reach that position by exceeding their ambitions? funny, isn't it?

Cheers
GV

Not knowing those people but holding cracked timber in expansion mode and using a substandard strength glue to then repair the "mistake"

does not show capabilities that exceed average

or

even exceeding ambitions

it indicates an application for the "Darwin Awards"

I strongly suggest that in the interest of having you around to contribute to further posts that you swallow some pride and take/request advice from some who know - - ah la Skew , Cliff and others that have many years experience.

To contribute to your original request i once turned a pinus crapiata bowl about 500mm diameter mounted on a face plate with 4 long tek screws and a tail stock and during hollowing out when i was down to about 20mm thick for some unknown reason i turned the speed up to about the same as you over 2000 and very shortly experienced the thrill of one half (smaller) exiting out the door via the roof, floor and wall. The lathe with the larger half then started a dance that i thought would remove it and the 10mm dyna bolts in the same direction.

Yes i hit the stop button, sat and waited the mandatory long time for the heart to slow back to a normal rate.

I immediately thought "i wont do that again" and havent.

Sorry but as the moment unfolded i didnt think "I should take a photo of that". Hence no pictures not that i was very prowd of it anyway.

NeilS
16th August 2007, 01:44 PM
Next to the door of my workshop, just at eye hight so that I can see it every time I enter, I have the only (so far, touch ….) lathe missile that would have done some serious damage had it got me. It’s quite a large, sharp-edged, ‘flake’ off the side of a red gum bowl. The gum vein in the blank turned out to be weaker than I estimated…I should have assigned it to the firewood heap or, at least, superglued it before tackling it.

I became even more cautious after that incident, encouraged to do so after hearing of a fellow who ended up in hospital for many months while the medicos attempted to repair half of his face following a simliar but less fortunate incident/‘accident’.

My preventative practices nowadays include:

Always wearing a high impact face mask

Starting at a low speed, and dialling up the rpms gradually

Generally turning at slower speeds – I find it more enjoyable anyhow and it gets the job done almost as quickly, and

Turning outboard (I tend to do faceplate work), which has the advantage of putting me out of the firing line most of the time.
I will leave any critical feedback arising from this thread to the resident gurus who have the necessary group cred to be heard.

Stay safe

Neil

rsser
16th August 2007, 02:18 PM
Looks like the piece in question was end-grain turned? So if there's a crack the risk of it flying apart would be magnified perhaps.

Yeah, I've done some dumb things .. eg. not knowing better and trying to rough a bowl with a roughing gouge, or going in too hard and pulling a bowl blank out of the chuck.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
16th August 2007, 06:02 PM
Hmmm... been checking out the first pix :think: and... I think you may've been holding it with a woodworm screw?

rsser
16th August 2007, 06:06 PM
... eagle eye (as always!).

And if in end grain :o

BANNED
16th August 2007, 06:45 PM
Hi everyone,
Thanks again, for your comments, most appreciated.
Was never any doubt, that the log in question, would never be any sort of project for most people, for whatever the reasons, which I accept and understand. Nevertheless, some of us, and again, for whatever the reasons, would consider and attempt to make something out of it, not discarding all the extra risks associated with the turning of a very delicate peace of aged timber. At the beginning of this thread, I've asked for other people stories, on the subject, giving my recent incident as a start reference, and I don't recall at any point, to mention or insinuate that any of the methods I use were right or wrong, indeed I tried to give a detailed description of all those steps, hoping that I would get some constructive observations of my case, which could be used as a bench mark, for those thinking in trying something similar.
I'm some how disappointed, that some members of this forum, decided to behave in a totally unnecessary way, by name calling, making insinuations and make offencive and unsupported assumptions. Indeed, I remember very distinctly, a comment made by one of the forum regulars, in the very first time I participated in this forum, by saying that, " you find that among all wood turners, they are all a bunch of nice people, always willing to help and very understanding, and most of all, generous people!"
Well, unfortunately there are always the black sheep, in any mob, even tough, and apart from the fact that I react badly to personal attacks, (an action is always followed by a reaction) I find this sort of thing unnecessary and very destructive, not only for those directly involved, but also to forums future. There are a lot of people out there, that will be considering if they are willing to join in, and participate, just on the odd chance that they will be next.
I would suggest that is important to read each thread properly, and not jump into conclusions, if anything, request further explanation when necessary, you find this will solve most of these misunderstandings.

Hi Calm, you have asked me a couple of questions, to which I'm more than happy to provide you with the answers.
"Is the glue yuo have use to make the "repair" PVA glue?"
I believe, most people call PVA to the white timber glue, in this case I'm not certain if it is or not. The glue I used (have been using it for a while), is made in Toronto and is called WELDBOND (quite expensive tough), white in colour, drying clear, this glue not specific recommended for timber only, but for almost anything. I have used this glue in timbers, with higher than expected results, therefore I believe well suited for the project on hand.

In relation to the mounting clue I did mention, on the first pic of this thread, I'm not surprised that you didn't see it, as it is a bit difficult to see, unless you know what you are looking for. To resolve this point, I decided to mark and zoom that pic, as also provide some other pics, I specifically took today, for a better understanding of how the log was indeed mounted. If right or wrong, I haven't made that statement previously. Too lite for the application? or just one of those things?
Any more suggestions?
Cheers
GV

BANNED
16th August 2007, 06:48 PM
And the mounting system, was as bellow;

Cheers
GV

rsser
16th August 2007, 07:03 PM
[Added: after pic posted on mounting technique]

OK, so Skew was right. (No surprise!)

And OK again, we all stuff up from time to time. I gave you my examples, and diagnosis. What's the drama?

Skew ChiDAMN!!
16th August 2007, 07:38 PM
Too lite for the application? or just one of those things?

Suitable for side-grain in a solid piece of wood. Far less effective in end-grain and personally I wouldn't even think about using it in a risky piece. :no:

Given the condition of the blank, I'd go for either a good tenon and jaws setup or hot-melt glue it into a large jam chuck. Even then it'd be brown pants time, even at slow speed. (Hint, hint.)

RETIRED
16th August 2007, 07:51 PM
I think a cup of tea or coffee and a biccy is in order here.

Calm down folks.

RETIRED
16th August 2007, 09:09 PM
I have lost count of the number of things that have "exploded" on me in the last 30 years but I still have no scars from turning and I still have all my digits.

Most have been relatively safe wood but a little flaw can escalate at the speeds we turn at.

The secret is to minimise damage should it occur. As others have said, don't stand in the "firing line" when starting or turning ( little hard when it is 2-11 metres long:D ), ensure that the stuff is well mounted and the chuck or drive is suitable for what you are doing, that the timber is sound and you are confident enough to tackle the project.

Most of our timber is supplied by customers but I check it anyway. I will only turn laminated timber if the source is reliable but I prefer to laminate my own. Had a few supplied ones delaminate in the lathe and if you want "fear factor", imagine a 4 metre 180x180MM hardwood post splitting into 4 parts down the full length at 1200 RPM. More than brown pants stuff.:C :o

A lot of timber that we get is old lamp posts and they can have sap veins that go the full length under the skin. We normally hit the timber with a hammer to see if they are "hollow". If they are we still turn them but stand clear and stop and check frequently until we can pry off the loose timber. Sometimes we misjudge and it does fly.

The first picture is the mark left when a 2" roughing gouge gets catapaulted into the roof after snapping across the tool rest.

The next photo is of the "shrapnel" off the turning to the right. It had a sap vein that ran full length. Turned down from the solid end until it could be pried off. The salt container is for size comparison only, not some secret finish.:D

The third photo is one half of a piece of Murray pine 160mm square embedded into a crosscut saw after breaking in half on the lathe. We found the other half 200 metres away 3 weeks later. This is my reminder of what can happen.

funkychicken
16th August 2007, 09:40 PM
Been hit in the chin by a 80 by 120mm piece of camphor spinning at 2400 revs. Ouch.

woodwork wally
16th August 2007, 09:59 PM
Give up on the praying cos I think he thinks "Look at that drongo and I gave them brains. Well he's on his own with this " then He shuts His eyes and waits for the bang and yell of pain !!! and Neil wont let me write what I think He says next BUT we will continue to make expensive firewood Only best wishes to all Wally

thefixer
16th August 2007, 10:10 PM
This one got me a couple of months ago. I still get nervous when I crank the lathe up to top speed

Frank&Earnest
16th August 2007, 10:26 PM
Hi GV.

As I am always looking for a good glue to fix my many mistakes :- I have googled the one you mentioned:

I believe, most people call PVA to the white timber glue, in this case I'm not certain if it is or not. The glue I used (have been using it for a while), is made in Toronto and is called WELDBOND (quite expensive tough), white in colour, drying clear, this glue not specific recommended for timber only, but for almost anything. I have used this glue in timbers, with higher than expected results, therefore I believe well suited for the project on hand.

I have found out that it is actually PVA, although a better than average one. It is probably better than our local ones and quite good for wood, but I would not trust it "for almost anything". Did you buy it here or is it an old stash?

thefixer
16th August 2007, 10:40 PM
I do believe that this thread was started by Gra as an invitation for others to share their mishaps and or scary things that have occured while using the lathe. Weather others agree or disagree with his methods is irrelevant to the thread.:(( There must be more good pics out there of decent battle scars.

Cheers
Shorty

RETIRED
16th August 2007, 10:41 PM
Thread started by Nyodine.

thefixer
16th August 2007, 10:44 PM
I stand corrected. Thanx

Cheers
Shorty

Skew ChiDAMN!!
16th August 2007, 10:52 PM
There must be more good pics out there of decent battle scars.

Not from my shed.

Not because I haven't had my stupid moments, nor because I've been 100% accident free. Rather, because the accidents that were probably worth documenting (and would definitely reach Wow Factor 10 and associated comments about my eligibilty for the Darwin Awards) are the ones that I'm most anxious to forget and expunge from living memory... :-

But, like , my shed shows definite signs of battle damage if you know where to look.

thefixer
16th August 2007, 11:10 PM
No battle damage in my shed. My head keeps getting in the way:oo:

BANNED
16th August 2007, 11:29 PM
Hi Frank&Earnest,

Was my understanding, that this glue was of higher quality, than most of our common PVC glues, which I also used. I only use this glue on timber, where my tests did prove its best performance, I wouldn't use it on some materials, even if recommended by factory. This bottle I'm using now, is only a few weeks old (from purchase day) manufacture date ??? maybe under a year, I hope. I start using it just over a year ago, with great success. The extra cost is well worth it, is only one thing negative about this glue, is that doesn't allow staining over. I should expend this a bit, there is, if using this glue as a "patty" type mix with saw dust, to repair nearly finished surfaces, make sure that any excess glue is removed with a wet cloth immediately. Do not use sanding to smooth the area while wet/semi-wet, that will spread the glue over an larger area, creating a stain patch when timber stains are used, as also with some finishing type products. Anyway, this is something that can be resolved quite easily.
This is the glue that I intent to use for now.

Hi thefixer,
I had no doubt that someone would have some chocking evidence, of the timber projectile main "bullseye" targeted area, which you have most undoubtedly experienced and shared with us. Even tough, some would suggest I'm contradicting myself, if only one person is saved of such trauma, by reading this thread and look at your images, the objective of this thread, will be achieved.
Thank you, hope you are fully recovered.

Cheers
GV

TAB
17th August 2007, 05:12 AM
I was talking to a pro at "the woodworking show" and he said he sets his lathe at an angle to the wall so that if the piece comes of the chuck, screw, etc., it will generally hit the tool rest and then bounce to the wall which will send it away from the body behind the tool rest.

I set mine up at about a 30 to 35 degree angle and have had it proven to me that this works quite well twice in the last few months...

this may be old hat to you folks but.....

...just a thought...

Hardenfast
17th August 2007, 09:09 AM
Hang in there, Nyodine. Work safe, but don't be afraid to experiment or be innovative - within reason.

This is a good thread, and a good reminder of things that can happen in this most hazardous of activities in which we all participate. It's worth noting that many (most?) of the incidents that occur seem to eventuate when circumstances are quite conventional. It would seem that experience will improve our understanding of potential hazards and proper precautions, but at the end of the day - sometimes ????? happens.

I refer you to the post by above. Despite his prodigious exerience, superb equipment and extreme caution, he still has the occasional sphincter loosening moment. Most reassuring - sorry .

I had a thread going a little while back whereby I explained my experiments on using an electric planer on the lathe while the piece was turning. I have some more to add to this topic shortly.

Anyway, the responses varied from solid encouragement for innovation and ideas on refining the process - to nervous caution and trepidation - to outright hostlity for dangerous practices. The point is, I believe you should always stay within a comfort level determined by your own experience. Do your research, continue to field comments and advice from the learned assemblage herein, and then apply your best efforts in a safe and practical manner. Don't be dissuaded from pushing the boundaries a little from time to time - again, within reason.

Oh, and remember to have a video camera going to capture the process. I'll do the same with my next lathe planing exercise. :D

Wayne :2tsup:

suzieightysix
17th August 2007, 11:54 AM
Before I modified my lathe, (Tecknatool early model with a bottom speed of 870 revs) I would mount an uneven blank and switch everything on except the final switch, then stand back and poke it with the broom handle. Not altogether satisfactory. I didn't want to mess about with gears, so a few years ago I cobbled together a three phase 240V 2 HP motor out of some left over bits and pieces. The motor speed varies with frequency rather than current, so I built/repaired a frrequency control unit Left the original six speed cone pulley in place and I now have a bottom speed of about eight revs and a top of six thousand four hundred. (I NEVER go there). I also incorporated a reversing switch. Haven't had an explosion since then. Cheers, Russell

RETIRED
17th August 2007, 12:37 PM
Left the original six speed cone pulley in place and I now have a bottom speed of about eight revs and a top of six thousand four hundred. (I NEVER go there). Cheers, RussellChicken!:; :U

Allan at Wallan
17th August 2007, 02:08 PM
This is not strictly a "projectile" case although
I may have appeared like one at the time.

I was wearing my protective helmet and whilst
walking to the lathe tripped "R" over "Z" on a
slightly protruding rake head. Next to the work
bench was a pile of freshly cut timber which
I fell onto.

The result: Two broken ribs. (About 12 months ago).

Allan

I am not at all worried about dying
... but just hope I am not there at the time.

Wayne Blanch
17th August 2007, 03:19 PM

I fell onto.

Allan

:omg: Ouch!!!!!!

thefixer
17th August 2007, 07:44 PM
Ooooooh Allan, that's a nasty sight. The bruise doesn't look too good either:D

Cheers
Shorty

BANNED
17th August 2007, 11:05 PM

I fell onto.

Allan

Ouch, ouch mate, I had on of those a couple of years ago, but with 5 broken ribs inside. Hard to forget...!

Yeah, I've heard you Hardenfast, I've heard you!

Cheers
GV