PDA

View Full Version : Talking about unusual...?

BANNED
17th August 2007, 11:49 PM
Hi everyone

This could possibly be, one of the times where one would ask, what in a heck is that? is that timber?.
This time, I know what timber species produced such a piece, and I've just finished it this afternoon. If asked, can you get me some?, the answer would be, NO. If asked, are you ever going to find another like that?, my answer would be, probably not in my life time!

Now, I will be revelling what it is, and how I come I got it, in the mean time, have any of you, he/she turners, know what timber species is?

I can give some clues, but I doubt isn't going to tell much, anyway this piece was cut from a tree species growing 10 meters from my back fence, which was dead, but still standing up (resilient stuff). Growing in a vacant lot, with all sorts of green tall weeds and all sorts of other stuff, it's age is unknown, but according to neighbours, this vacant block has had a fire approx. 12 years ago.

Has I said, the clues don't give much away, and to me, this is the first time I've seen such beautiful piece of this natural wood species. Do you know what it is? have you ever come across with something like this?

Good luck!
Cheers
GV

Skew ChiDAMN!!
18th August 2007, 12:05 AM
Nice!

What wood? Hmmm... I've seen nasty, gnarly lumps of Camphor Laurel come up similar to that and, on a smaller scale, English Yew. Mind you, they weren't typical pieces either and I don't expect to find "replacement" pieces any time soon. Just gotta be lucky and hope Ma Nature blesses me with some of her hidden gems. [fingers Xed]

For some things it's worth the wait... and it's fun looking. :2tsup:

reeves
18th August 2007, 02:15 AM
interesting piece mate, my guess is some sort of gnarly eucalypt but who knows ?

Baz
18th August 2007, 06:27 PM
I'll go for Sandalwood or Olive???????????
Cheers
Barry

Wayne Blanch
18th August 2007, 11:49 PM
I would guess that it's "Beenatree" or possibly "Wasatree":doh:

Names thoughtfully listed in this forum previously:D I think that Cliff even knows the correct botanical names for em.:U

orraloon
19th August 2007, 01:49 PM
Is it mulberry?:?

John

rsser
19th August 2007, 02:29 PM
Lovely wood.

Pity about the shape.

ribot
19th August 2007, 05:47 PM
Borer hole in the base, I guess Eucalypt or Accacia possibly even some sort of Leptosperm.

BANNED
19th August 2007, 06:43 PM
Lovely wood.

Pity about the shape.

This was one of those pieces where you just happy that something did stay together, irregardless of shape. Indeed, the shape (form) was basically the way the small lump of wood, guided me to follow as it was worked. The all thing was a very delicate issue, as soon as the piece was removed from its original location, was very much a two hand job, just to keep it together. I used every glue and gluing techniques, available to me, just to keep all the bits where they belonged, before I got it near the lathe. Everyday, for 6 days, I got a step closer, but for any wood taken, some repairs were necessary, before the next go, (gluing times/curing). So the final shape, wasn't all my choice, but more what I was left with. In either case, I'm quite happy with the result, and that what counts, huh?:2tsup:

Cheers
GV

rsser
19th August 2007, 07:04 PM
Sure, that works for me.

For turners with the luxury that we 'amateurs' have, respect for the nature of the 'blank' has to come first ... at the risk of sounding like a wanker.

Baz
19th August 2007, 07:57 PM
GV, so what sort of timber is it??????????
Cheers
Barry

BANNED
19th August 2007, 11:14 PM
Sure, that works for me.

For turners with the luxury that we 'amateurs' have, respect for the nature of the 'blank' has to come first ... at the risk of sounding like a wanker.

Ahahahaah, absolutely...! nevertheless, sounding like one is not as bad as behaving like one, huh? hahahahahahah:2tsup:

Be patient Baz, was always my intention to tell what it is (come from), on Monday (tomorrow), so just one more sleep, ta?

Cheers
GV

BANNED
21st August 2007, 02:46 AM
Hi everyone,

Thank you all for giving some opinions to what you thought this timber was.
OK, according to the locals, they call it White Acacia, because the wood is white(ish). They are right about the Species Acacia, but according to my research and comparing leafs, flowers, bark, etc.,etc.from other trees that I was shown (in the same paddock, but still very well alive and wealthy), was easier to match with information available on the net, due to the fact that all Acacia species are now flowering in the area. Is my believe, this specimen was a Silver Wattle. Indeed, I did found out some to appear to be a cross between Silver and Golden Wattle, also existent in that area. Obviously, not every Silver Wattle tree will produce such grain, colouration and composition, as this piece was removed from just under ground level, and was indeed a new shoot growing from the dead tree's root system. The new tree approx, 4" in diameter, did not appear initially to be part of the dead three that I was asked to remove, nor could I recognise what the new tree was, as was nothing for me to match with, then. The "lump" where the new was joining to the old, was cut so that I had as much new timber, as I had old, with the old been very easy to damage due to it's decomposition stage. In the end, I end-up with a lump of wood, approx, 10" long and about 4" wide, with the joint running trough the middle. After all dirt (soil) washed away, the log was left to dry for a few weeks. As the drying process was happening, I notice that separation (from the new and old) was also happening, making pre-gluing necessary before the piece was ready for turning. And as I mention previously in this thread, the turning process was done in stages (6) with Reconstruction and gluing in between each stage (once a day). The final piece did finish with 17 cm / 6.8" high and 7 cm / 2.9" wide.
Using Skew words, I complete this thread by saying, [quote] "Just gotta be lucky and hope Ma Nature blesses me with some of her hidden gems. For some things it's worth the wait... and it's fun looking." :2tsup:

Cheers
GV

reeves
21st August 2007, 06:21 AM
ok cool, pretty gnarly grain and color for a silver wattle...all the wattles are flowering round here at present...

cheeeeeeers
john