PDA

View Full Version : Nothing special just a few wriggling turnings

Wild Dingo
18th August 2007, 12:47 AM
I mentioned somewhere that Id had a go at a couple of handles for scoring knives the other day... well here they are
1) In Sandlewood
2) In Durian

Now all I have to do is make some blades and put em together!! :2tsup:

And a couple of those all important push sticks!

1) Durian again
2) Jarrah

and an unturned one I just snuffled from the scrap box... actually banged out a few of these as Im finding I can never seem to get my hands on one when I need it... things are all over the shed but never at the tool Im using! :doh:

Onto the jig section!!! TALLY HO!!! :U

BANNED
18th August 2007, 02:00 AM
Hi Wild Dingo,

Those are going to be some fancy knives, huh?
You mention Durian, is that timber known by some other name? I'm not familiar with it, but looks OK, does it turns well?

Cheers
GV

Wild Dingo
18th August 2007, 02:38 AM
Cheers mate
The Durian is a Malay timber I scored at an auction about a year ago, dont know if its got another name, its a hardwood but quite easy to turn... only trouble Ive found with it is that you really have to go REALLY slow take little tiny bits at a time cant rush this stuff or it will split or take whoppin long slivers out... STINKS to buggary really leaves a bad taste in the back of your throat and sends masses of dust up yer snozzle... so I tend to get as much covering on when I work this stuff as I can find... eye gear a face mask (wouldnt mind one of those triton bit of gear) and an apron... small spinters often come off and end up down yer shirt if you dont really cover up... bastard of a stuff for turning really if I didnt have so much Id probably not use it for this, but I did cut a lot of the planks down to 1mtr size for ease of use.

It finished well though with a slight golden tinge. Im yet to try turning the other two Malay timbers I got at that auction, Kapur and Sepiature... the Kapur is rather boring in my view for anything other than structural.. the Sepiature on the other hand is STUNNING!... and now Im thinking about it I will have a go at some tomorrow. :2tsup:

I have some issues trying to keep things from becoming "fancy" most of my latest push sticks and other timber woodworking stuff that Ive made Ive turned something on it... as you can see I couldnt even leave the simple Jarrah one alone and its ended up looking like a belaying pin!! :roll: the other one I sorta got carried away with... but its thick enough that I could so why not? I thought the knives were a tad plain myself... ah well shes right eh!! :2tsup:

Cheers!

Sebastiaan56
18th August 2007, 10:43 AM
Hi Dingo,

Mate they's nice turnings youve dun. Over here a fruit is sold called Durian, its a big ugly green thing that is pretty flavourless. I expect in its tropical setting it would be really nice but imported into our area its pretty ordinary.

Looks like nice timber,

Sebastiaan