PDA

View Full Version : It's "BOWL", not "BOWEL"

arose62
18th August 2007, 09:12 AM
well, at least the idea of trying to turn my bowels on a lathe scares the s**t out of me.

Does being picky about this repeated mis-spelling make me anal?

Cheers,
Andrew

Ivan in Oz
18th August 2007, 09:36 AM
Depends on what you Entrails.

If you THINK about it, it ENTAILS some Grey Matter

jmk89
18th August 2007, 09:39 AM
I like the recent thread about a PEACE :o that you just turned...:D

RETIRED
18th August 2007, 09:58 AM
Just remember folks that not everyone here has had the advantage of higher education.

Indeed some here have English as their second language (no offence to the Americans:wink: :D ) and do well to even put their ideas down on to the page.

Others just type that fast that the fingers outrun the brain.:D

As long as the idea is conveyed I think that is all that counts. It is not an English exam.

I will normally only correct an obvious spelling mistake where the intention of the poster could be misinterpreted but generally only after checking with them.

jmk89
18th August 2007, 10:15 AM
Interesting - I would have thought that spelling should be something taught as part of an elementary education, not higher education!

Let's face it, most of us try to do the best that we can with our wood projects, why shouldn't we transfer the same attitude to our writing. We don't take a clothes enuf iz neer enuf approche to would, sew wi shud we tak it to ritin?

hughie
18th August 2007, 10:21 AM
sometimes you've just gotta roll with it. English is SWMBO's third language. In the interest of peace and my sanity we no longer play scrabble and such games, as I lose all the time.........sigh

Sebastiaan56
18th August 2007, 10:47 AM
Hey Andrew,

My 8yo produced an assignment the other day that when read phonetically was perfect but the spelling was incorrect. The fault is the fascists who insist on the language being written one way. Dont give in to their bull, the language is for the users, not the intellectuals.

Maybe this thread should go to "Nothing to do about woodwork" Ive got a fire for it,

Sebastiaan

bitingmidge
18th August 2007, 11:09 AM
Others just type that fast that the fingers outrun the brain.:D

As long as the idea is conveyed I think that is all that counts. It is not an English exam.

Too true.

Must go off to the shed now, haven't moved my bowls this morning!

P
:D :D :D

Iain
18th August 2007, 11:14 AM
How about a poll so we can pass a motion on this:rolleyes:

Frank&Earnest
18th August 2007, 11:34 AM
Jmk - IMHO, you are right in general terms, but is right as far as this forum is concerned. It's horses for courses. English is my third language, and even if I am likely to give most English speakers a run for their money as regards "scrabble and such games", I am not immune to the odd mistake, especially when "the fingers outrun the brain". Tolerance is a virtue, don't become a language Taliban (another ASIO bait, eh ? :D )

Edited to add: Sebastiaan, happy to have a flame war with you in the appropriate thread...

Barry_White
18th August 2007, 12:35 PM
We all make an odd typo and even reading before uploading we can miss it but the best thing about computers is that there is some great tools to use which can eliminate some of the bad spelling which would make posts more pleasant to read.

I think one of the best tools is the spell checker in the Google Toolbar which is easy to download and also very easy to use.

We all like to get better with our woodwork, why not our spelling and english because practice is the thing that improves us and the spell checker may not make us perfect but it will certainly help.

Grumpy John
18th August 2007, 12:42 PM
We all make an odd typo and even reading before uploading we can miss it but the best thing about computers is that there is some great tools to use which can eliminate some of the bad spelling which would make posts more pleasant to read.

I think one of the best tools is the spell checker in the Google Toolbar which is easy to download and also very easy to use.

We all like to get better with our woodwork, why not our spelling and english because practice is the thing that improves us and the spell checker may not make us perfect but it will certainly help.

Spell checkers don't work if the word is used in the wrong context, only for words that are spelled or spelt wrong or is that wrongly. Too bad there is no "context" or grammer or is that grammar checker.

dazzler
18th August 2007, 12:44 PM
well, at least the idea of trying to turn my bowels on a lathe scares the s**t out of me.

Does being picky about this repeated mis-spelling make me anal?

Cheers,
Andrew

Its better than I done it and I seen it :rolleyes:

dazzler
18th August 2007, 12:47 PM
And its probably politer to correctly spell the word in your response.

My parents are terrible at grammar and spelling, however neither went to high school so I suppose they do okay. :)

Barry_White
18th August 2007, 12:54 PM
Spell checkers don't work if the word is used in the wrong context, only for words that are spelled or spelt wrong or is that wrongly. Too bad there is no "context" or grammer or is that grammar checker.

That is true John but at least if the spelling is correct you can usually pick up on the grammar or context.

I don't know if you have used the Google Spell checker but it leaves the Microsoft Spell Checker out in the cold.

By the way it told me your word "grammer" was incorrect.

Grumpy John
18th August 2007, 01:02 PM
That is true John but at least if the spelling is correct you can usually pick up on the grammar or context.

I don't know if you have used the Google Spell checker but it leaves the Microsoft Spell Checker out in the cold.

By the way it told me your word "grammer" was incorrect.

That's why I gave the option.

Anyway I'm off to get my Roget's Thesaurus. :U :U

dazzler
18th August 2007, 04:04 PM
We don't take a clothes enuf iz neer enuf approche to would, sew wi shud we tak it to ritin?

Speak 4 uself, I still use nails :2tsup:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
18th August 2007, 04:23 PM
...and I've had more than one or two bowel-turning moments at the lathe! :rolleyes:

BANNED
18th August 2007, 05:16 PM
Hi everyone,
I can see that some guys do still use the method of throwing punches when a fellow is down. Is a name for that, but I feel unnecessary to mention it. Is within my right to say something about comments made in this thread, as I am one of the two persons been ridiculed. Many years ago, I felt very offended buy these sort of prejudicing comments. It still hurts, but I've built a very thick skin, over it, after I decided to compare my language skills, with most of Australian born people. Learning another language at the mature age of 30, is never easy, indeed is on behalf of so many people in my situation, that I'm speaking for. We all have different levels of acceptance and or understanding for Ossie jokes, some are just deliberately provocative.

So lets just let those "Bowls in Peace"!

Cheers
GV

benji79
18th August 2007, 07:11 PM
Who cares....... We are here for the wood turning not a spelling contest.

Sorry i've had a bad day :doh:

Benji

Calm
18th August 2007, 08:10 PM

Benji

I agree totally.

If you cant understand what is meant then ask. Surely that's not rocket science. (should there/their be an apostrphe in whats/what's)

I dont see that that makes a difference but what would i know.

Harry72
18th August 2007, 08:44 PM
I Cont spull vary weel eva... do vot I dun go here (http://www.blogzilla.info/spellchecker/)!

Its a spell checker for the firefox browser, it runs all the time when it see's an incorrect spelt word it underlines it so you can right click on it and a list of alternatives pops up... pretty cool!
The only problem it has is its in seppo language, so some word"z" are spelt incorrectly to the rest of the world!
And if you know the word is spelt correctly you can add it to the program data base on your computer.

ss_11000
18th August 2007, 09:14 PM
spelling usually doesnt matter....unless your in english class. but this isnt english class so get over it :q.

although, it does annoy me when what i consider to be simple words get mispelled ( sp? :q )

cheers

Skew ChiDAMN!!
18th August 2007, 09:33 PM
My spelling was terrible at school, until we had an American-born English teacher around Form 2 or 3. I couldn't stand the bloke... you know the Brash American Tourist stereotype? That was him, through'n'through. Kept downmarking our grades because we made mistakes like putting the 'u' in 'colour.' :~

I believe he wasn't too popular with t'other staff either... to spite him I improved my spelling skills in "correct" English (no -ization for this li'l black duck :D) and also started throwing in a lot of Aussie colloquialisms. They baffled him enough that he used to ask other teachers whether my scribbles were "acceptable" and they assured him they were. :rotfl:

So that poor Yank is responsible for the infliction of my writing style on the rest of ya! :D:p

mick61
18th August 2007, 11:46 PM

Sorry i've had a bad day :doh:

Benji

:2tsup: I`m with you lets just try to spell the timbers right so when we GOOGLE we get the right timber. Iam here to learn more about woodturning and see what people are making.NOT TO IMPROVE MY SPELLING AND GRAMMER.:D
MICK:q

Wayne Blanch
19th August 2007, 12:20 AM
I agree with all the comments re: we are here to talk about woodwork not spelling.

My spelling and grammar are terrible and always have been, but I must admit that I try to re-read my posts before uploading and I try to have them correct. Having said that, there have been many posts I have made with typo's and spelling mistakes that I notice after posting, and frankly I don't really care as long as I manage to get the message across.

Generally I don't notice typo's or spelling errors in other peoples posts and if I do notice so what! If I get the gist of what someone is trying to say it really doesn't matter.

However, if I had a set of bowels on the shelf my missus would really freak.:D Sorry couldn't resist:doh:

ubeaut
19th August 2007, 10:47 AM
I thought we got rid of the spelling Nazis ages ago.

If it's spelt wrong who cares. Get a life and leave others to theirs.

For those of you being plagued buy the spelling BULLIES if you use Firefox there is a spell checker available and if you use IE there is a download especially for the forums in the top left corner of the message box when posting there is this little icon http://mt1.woodworkforums.com/images/editor/spelling.gifclick on it to use the spell checker or to download it if not already installed.

SPELLING NAZI'S BEGONE or at least pull your heads in. Most of us dislike you immensely. :~

Neil

Burnsy
19th August 2007, 11:10 AM
Hi everyone,
I can see that some guys do still use the method of throwing punches when a fellow is down. Is a name for that, but I feel unnecessary to mention it. Is within my right to say something about comments made in this thread, as I am one of the two persons been ridiculed. Many years ago, I felt very offended buy these sort of prejudicing comments. It still hurts, but I've built a very thick skin, over it, after I decided to compare my language skills, with most of Australian born people. Learning another language at the mature age of 30, is never easy, indeed is on behalf of so many people in my situation, that I'm speaking for. We all have different levels of acceptance and or understanding for Ossie jokes, some are just deliberately provocative.

So lets just let those "Bowls in Peace"!

Cheers
GV

GV, you have done well to get where you are, I for one read your entire post without picking up the spelling error because I was more interested in what you were saying than your spelling.

I am a teacher and I can't spell well at all. Spelling is something you either get or don't, some people never get it. I frequently spell words incorrectly on the board or have to stop writing to consult a dictionary and there is nothing wrong with that. The kids like it, they can see I am human as well and it helps to teach them that there is nothing wrong with not being write all the time, it is just important to aknowledge your limitations and do what you can to work around them. Funny thing is my father was also a teacher and he aslo can't spell to save himself but can build anything with his hands and is great with logic and mathematical concepts - maybe spelling is genetic.

We have gone back to phonetics at school for teaching spelling and this works for some kids. I have some kids in class who's results changed overnight when we swapped to it, others it made no difference for, some don't get phonetics at all and can naturally spell anything correctly. I went through a pilot program at primary school trialling phonetics when I was schooled. It did not work for me or either of my two mates (one is an architect the other is a CEO of the world surfing organisation) none of us can spell.

If I was a spelling expert then I probably would not be here on this forum I would be writing a post on some english writing forum.

pawnhead
19th August 2007, 11:15 AM
Spelling Nazis are alive and well (http://www.ahajokes.com/eng011.html). :oo:

Frank&Earnest
19th August 2007, 12:30 PM
Well Sebastiaan, mods and Administrator deem appropriate to leave this thread here, so let's go for it.

You spell quite well. Why would you want to deprive your son of the ability to communicate effectively as you do? Poor Seneca's "We learn to be learned, not for its usefulness" has been reversed in the now commonly accepted "we do not learn for school, we learn for life". The old approach may be too "intellectual" for most, but why would you have any problem with a purely utilitarian approach?

Rules are there to make social life possible. Would you say "my 18 years old son drives well and without accidents, but the road rules fascists fined him for disobeying a give way sign"?

On the other hand, another essential rule needed for social life is that the consequence must be appropriate to the action. Which is exactly what the Mods and the Administrator are telling everybody as regards this forum. Or as somebody also wrote about 1900 years ago and some people even believe to be supernaturally inspired, "don't do to others what you would not want to be done to yourself".

Tolerance does not mean neglect. Consider illiteracy as a form of poverty: your understanding for the spelling challenged is laudable. But should not stop you trying to help them. What I believe you should challenge is not whether your son's teachers are strict, is whether they have what it takes to help him achieve his full potential.

With all respect, Burnsy, somebody who says "Spelling is something you either get or don't, some people never get it." should not be a teacher. For a primary school teacher an attitude like that should (in many schools would) be sufficient reason for dismissal.

If you are a PE teacher or a carpentry instructor at TAFE then it is fine, provided you do not extend that negative attitude to the subject you are teaching, because in that setting English proficiency beyond what is needed for basic reciprocal understanding is not essential. Which, again, is what applies to this forum.

Wood Butcher
19th August 2007, 12:39 PM
With all respect, Burnsy, somebody who says "Spelling is something you either get or don't, some people never get it." should not be a teacher. For a primary school teacher an attitude like that should (in many schools would) be sufficient reason for dismissal.

Not saying that I necessarily agree or disagree with either statement, but I am doing some fairly heavy research into cognitive development (Piaget's theory to be exact) and it has been theorised for a long time that some people never reach certain stages of development in certain fields of knowledge, literacy being one of them. So to say that "Spelling is something you either get or don't, some people never get it" is not a false statement. There are ways to help people deal with these learning defiencies but it won't always solve the problem.

Sturdee
19th August 2007, 12:40 PM
Well Sebastiaan, mods and Administrator deem appropriate to leave this thread here, so let's go for it.

and

If it's spelt wrong who cares. Get a life and leave others to theirs.

SPELLING NAZI'S BEGONE or at least pull your heads in. Most of us dislike you immensely. :~

Neil

I agree.:(( Stop continuing this stupid and senseless argument.

Peter

Frank&Earnest
19th August 2007, 12:59 PM
Peter, may I respectfully remind you of the forum rule about SHOUTING? Because the administrator can get away with it, does not mean you can.

WB, of course. I did not question the statement, I questioned the attitude, i.e. a teacher should always assume the ability to learn until proven otherwise (and we could have a long discussion about the adequacy of proof).

pawnhead
19th August 2007, 01:07 PM
Getting a bit anal aren't we? This is a woodwork forum FFS.

In before the http://mt0.woodworkforums.com/images/statusicon/thread_hot_lock.gif :wink:

Sebastiaan56
19th August 2007, 01:14 PM
Well Sebastiaan, mods and Administrator deem appropriate to leave this thread here, so let's go for it.Im in,

You spell quite well. Why would you want to deprive your son of the ability to communicate effectively as you do? Poor Seneca's "We learn to be learned, not for its usefulness" has been reversed in the now commonly accepted "we do not learn for school, we learn for life". The old approach may be too "intellectual" for most, but why would you have any problem with a purely utilitarian approach?
Actually my gripe is with the illogical nature of the spelling of the langauge. The spelt language is a mixture of norse, saxon, norman french and whatever has landed from usage from other languages. Confusing to those who are trying to learn. I would really prefer a phonetic spelling, and so would my son. The french have an interesting system to try and maintain the purity of the language, its doomed I reckon.

Rules are there to make social life possible. Would you say "my 18 years old son drives well and without accidents, but the road rules fascists fined him for disobeying a give way sign"?
I never was a big one for rules for their own sake, eg sit still when learning, doesnt suit people who are not particularly visual learners. "Dont cheat" by asking or suggesting answers to your peers, doesnt work for those who learn by relating. We now know that people process information in radically different ways, but on the whole we assume that everyone is the same as us.

Tolerance does not mean neglect. Consider illiteracy as a form of poverty: your understanding for the spelling challenged is laudable. But should not stop you trying to help them
Comic books are really good in this respect, since he learns best by rote or auditory, they make sense to him, same as reading music, no probs. Spelling lists are a waste his his and everyone else's time. Illiteracy as poverty, I need to digest that as so much information comes though video and audio format nowadays that Im not so sure this applies as a blanket rule. That said the important stuff in our inherited culture, the poetry, etc is in a downward spiral compared to the video age we now live in. I suspect it will become like latin. The rise of text messaging has led to an explosion of creativity by younger users, this trend will continue as they grow up and assume the captaincy of our society. We can not predict where this will take us as the primary objective, communication, will be forever changed by a disruptive technology.

What I believe you should challenge is not whether your son's teachers are strict, is whether they have what it takes to help him achieve his full potential.
True, and underway.

An important part of this debate is "why are these rules enforced", if as you say, it facilitates communication well and good, if it is used as power over another then well you get my standard raised digit response. There is no standard for english. The poms and americans have their dictionaries as we do, which is right. There may be no right, maybe the best communicators will rule.

Sebastiaan

Frank&Earnest
19th August 2007, 01:20 PM
We are not having an argument, after all...:) We are both trying to do our best and learning in the process. Nobody could ask for more, could they?:wink:

Ok, I also agree with the paragraph you added after my response. You are introducing another topic though, the use of language as a means of discrimination. Been there, copped that... but has nothing to do with what we were talking about here.

Sturdee
19th August 2007, 01:43 PM
Peter, may I respectfully remind you of the forum rule about SHOUTING? Because the administrator can get away with it, does not mean you can.

You may not remind me about shouting, respectfully or otherwise, for I did not shout. :((

I quoted the forum god exactly as he had posted. Get your facts right.

I still think you are trying to pursue a stupid and senseless argument after Neil has spoken, but I suppose that is to be expected from one of the boards serial argumentors.:((

I wont get into further arguments with you and I think this thread ought to be closed.

Peter.

felixe
19th August 2007, 02:15 PM
:iagree: :lockd:

reeves
19th August 2007, 03:43 PM
jeez is sumwun bawd aw wot?

a bowl and a bowel are both vessells of containment, granted with different openings ;-)

maybe they have more in common than people think......

Doh!:2tsup::no::D:tooth::fingerscrossed::))

hughie
19th August 2007, 06:31 PM
maybe they have more in common than people think......

:U :U

Are yes, a rose by any other name is but a rose.......

Frank&Earnest
19th August 2007, 06:37 PM
:U :U

Are yes, a rose by any other name is but a rose.......
... if it still smells sweet... as old William said.:wink:

dazzler
19th August 2007, 07:00 PM
I like pizza :)

ubeaut
20th August 2007, 09:44 AM
STOP!!!! :~