PDA

View Full Version : more from Scotland

Zedster
21st August 2007, 07:24 AM
Here's another for your critique, this one is made from Scottish Yew, its dims 10 x 3 inches, 2 cracks of close proximity where joined and chopped out with the band saw, then the usual treatment red deer hide lacing to make a feature of the flaw, again as with all my work finished with soft wax.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r13/ctbphotos/yew11111.jpg

Cliff Rogers
21st August 2007, 09:21 AM
:2tsup:

Hardenfast
21st August 2007, 10:03 AM
Been watching your threads with interest, Zed. Most innovative and original!

I'm not familiar with the Sorby Texturing Tool - I must do some research as the effect you have achieved is brilliant. The tool must be quite cheap too, as I understand that you Scots don't generally throw the cash around too much. :roll:

Great work. Wayne

wheelinround
21st August 2007, 10:03 AM
Och tis nice piece ah work their laddie

BANNED
21st August 2007, 03:55 PM
Hi Zedster,

I like your work, and the way you resolve one of the old turners enemy, the large cracks or defects. I have a couple a questions for you to which I would appreciate the reply;
1- Is the system you use (lace on cracks,deforms) your own technique, or is indeed a common practise among Scotland turners?
2- Two of the three pieces you show us so far, the lace technique was used, obviously they are a large part of your production items, the question is, do they sell, do people in your neck of the woods, appreciate and accept this technique?

Be certain, I admire your technique, as I will contemplate to use that system to resolve and complete some pieces I've got needing some similar procedure. Nevertheless, I get a "gut feeling" and this is a personal opinion, that most of our turners and customers, won't like it. From experience, the average buyer does downgrade any turned piece, that is anything but perfect, not in design/style or finish but rather when a piece shows any natural crack, open knots and in many cases, unusual natural grain patterns formation with irregular surface.

So, your comments and responses would me most appreciated by any of the forum members, with an interest in this subject.

Good luck:2tsup:
Cheers
GV

Zedster
21st August 2007, 05:38 PM
Hi Zedster,

I like your work, and the way you resolve one of the old turners enemy, the large cracks or defects. I have a couple a questions for you to which I would appreciate the reply;

Many thanks for your kind comments

1- Is the system you use (lace on cracks,deforms) your own technique, or is indeed a common practise among Scotland turners?

As far as I am aware, I am the only one using deer hide thong to lace cracks and deforms, I have seen other variations, but none the same.

2- Two of the three pieces you show us so far, the lace technique was used, obviously they are a large part of your production items, the question is, do they sell, do people in your neck of the woods, appreciate and accept this technique?

The deer hide lacing came about purely by accident, I had a fairly plain piece of timber (Beech) added some brass inlay, then cut out an "S" shaped section on the bandsaw, just for the hell of it, there where no defects and laced the missing piece.
We have a local arts festival that runs for 3 weeks and I entered that piece into the arts gallery, it went down a storm, and sold within the first half an hour of the private viewing, the customer kindly left it in the gallery and I recieved many many positive comments and encouragement.

Be certain, I admire your technique, as I will contemplate to use that system to resolve and complete some pieces I've got needing some similar procedure. Nevertheless, I get a "gut feeling" and this is a personal opinion, that most of our turners and customers, won't like it. From experience, the average buyer does downgrade any turned piece, that is anything but perfect, not in design/style or finish but rather when a piece shows any natural crack, open knots and in many cases, unusual natural grain patterns formation with irregular surface.

That's where I think your wrong, what I produce is different, people like to own something unique, a crack or defect in the wood is natural, and highlighted in this way to draw attention to the fact is bringing out the living qualities of the piece, everything I do has the same silky smooth wax finish, sanded from 80 to 1200 grit sealed then waxed, the finish is perfect, the shape and form are open to debate and opinion, the flaws are made a feature of, so far and fingers crossed it remain so, the genersl buying public, the ones that count, love it.
If other turners love or hate it should not be the issue unless your going in for awards with your turnings.

So, your comments and responses would me most appreciated by any of the forum members, with an interest in this subject.

Good luck:2tsup:
Cheers
GV

Hope this answers your questions GV, if you have anymore or anyone else has a question feel free to ask,

Chris

hughie
21st August 2007, 07:57 PM
I get a "gut feeling" and this is a personal opinion, that most of our turners and customers, won't like it.

All the same Zedster is in very good company, if not the best.The Americanos pay big time for Ron Kents work

http://www.ronkent.com/index.php