PDA

View Full Version : goblet

thefixer
21st August 2007, 09:28 PM
G'day all

I hadn't done a goblet for quite some time so here goes. Had to stop half way and make a steady to fit onto the live centre to stop the bugger from snapping at the stem.(pic 4) Also gave me a chance to work on my skew skills. Did the whole stem with the skew, a first for me. Took ages to do as my skew skills are very limited at this stage and its hard to concentrate with both butt cheeks clenched together :) Anyway, I'm pretty pleased with the result as it was longest goblet I have done so far. Sanded to 1200 and finished with shellawax. Don't ask what wood it is, another donation of wasatree from my dad.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
21st August 2007, 09:34 PM
Now that's what I call a goblet. :thyel:

thefixer
21st August 2007, 09:37 PM
Thanks Skew. Means a lot coming from the Goblet King:wink:

Cheers
Shorty

DJ’s Timber
21st August 2007, 09:49 PM
Very nice :2tsup:

scooter
21st August 2007, 10:26 PM
Noice :2tsup:

BANNED
22nd August 2007, 12:24 AM
Hi thefixer,
I haven't done one of those yet, so I think I should.
If mine comes up, half as good as that, I will be happy.

Cheers
GV

joe greiner
22nd August 2007, 12:54 AM
Very nicely done, fixer. And a spectacular finish.

Terminology: I think that's more often called a large cone centre; a "steady" usually rides on the outside of the piece. Customarily made with somewhat soft wheels to avoid marring the finish, although on metal lathes may just be three adjustable bars secured to a frame.

Joe

Skew ChiDAMN!!
22nd August 2007, 12:58 AM
Terminology: I think that's more often called a large cone centre; a "steady" usually rides on the outside of the piece. Customarily made with somewhat soft wheels to avoid marring the finish, although on metal lathes may just be three adjustable bars secured to a frame.

...or a bit of string tied in a cat's cradle.

(Just thought I'd throw that in, as it's more suitable than a "normal" wheeled steady for goblets or long, thin spindlework such as trembleurs. :wink:)

joe greiner
22nd August 2007, 01:18 AM

(Just thought I'd throw that in, as it's more suitable than a "normal" wheeled steady for goblets or long, thin spindlework such as trembleurs. :wink:)

Quite so. A wheeled steady would be my last choice for a goblet; might be the last of the goblet, too.:oo:

Joe

Sebastiaan56
22nd August 2007, 07:06 AM
Nice goblet Shorty and well done with the skew!

Once again thanks for the tip Skew,

Sebastiaan

Rookie
22nd August 2007, 09:26 AM

You haven't got a photo of how that looks have you Skew? I've never heard of that before.

joe greiner
22nd August 2007, 03:03 PM
Several of them shown here:

http://perso.orange.fr/robert.bosco/trembleuren.htm

Takes a few minutes to load on dialup. So many pictures that translation from French is almost unnecessary. Also shows use of a rigid steady without wheels.

Joe

Frank&Earnest
22nd August 2007, 04:14 PM
Yes, impressive, and if the wood+paraffin is indeed gentler on the work than plastic wheels, quite useful. I will never bother with attempting something like that, though, to me it is showing off for its own sake.

BTW, the photos are indeed self explanatory, but if there is a sentence here or there you would like translated (NOT the whole kaboodle!) I'll try to help.

Simomatra
22nd August 2007, 04:44 PM
Very nice a loke the lines.

Is it for show or using?

joe greiner
22nd August 2007, 04:47 PM
Using for what?

Joe

Hardenfast
22nd August 2007, 05:17 PM
Excellent work Shorty, especially taming the skew on that stem. I'm afraid I still leave that skew chisel in the rack, casting nervous looks at it as I battle on with the various gouges.

Haven't done a goblet yet, although I've watched the many posts & comments, particularly from Skew ChiDAMN, with interest. They obviously incorporate a bit of round work, some hollowing and some spindle work, so really seem to be a good test of overall skills. Probably why I'm not ready to have a shot at one yet. Also, those delicate stems seem to require a level of finesse and equipment (steadies etc) that I am yet to acquire.

Wayne

Simomatra
22nd August 2007, 05:45 PM
Using for what?

Joe

Red wine of course thats what goblets are for

Skew ChiDAMN!!
22nd August 2007, 05:47 PM
Red wine of course thats what goblets are for

Or mead. They're perfect for quaffing mead!

Wassail! [singing: Quaff, quaff, quaff, quaff, glod!]

Frank&Earnest
22nd August 2007, 06:45 PM
Uhmm, I have a suspicion that I have unvoluntarily muddled the water. I meant that trembleurs are only for show, not goblets... I am pretty sure that everybody here uses goblets frequently...:D

And, Shorty, congratulations, yours is one I will look up to when I will feel confident to try making one.

BernieP
22nd August 2007, 06:55 PM
G'Day Shorty

Boy thats some goblet, very nice.

Cheers
Bernie

thefixer
22nd August 2007, 10:01 PM
Very nicely done, fixer. And a spectacular finish.

Joe

Excuse my ignorance, have only been turning for about a year so not up with all the terminology yet. But the cone I made stopped the piece from wobbling, IE, it kept it steady. Hence my interpretation.:rolleyes:

Thanks to all for the kind words and the info on "cats cradles and string". Some food for thought there.
I guess I am my own worst critic, I thought the stem was a tad too thick as well as the base. But there you go, horses for courses.

Cheers
Shorty

Skew ChiDAMN!!
22nd August 2007, 11:13 PM
I guess I am my own worst critic, I thought the stem was a tad too thick as well as the base. But there you go, horses for courses.

Well, if it's criticism you want... :D

You've already put your finger on what I'd call it's weak point: the stem's still a wee tad thick. Not by much, though. As for the foot, well I reckon it's about right for the current stem thickness. :thyel:

IMHO, the diameter of the foot is nicely sized to the bowl - most people turn them smaller which, to me, makes a goblet look top-heavy. I also like the transitions from the stem into the foot and the bowl and you've managed a nice thickness at the lip of the bowl.

Take the finish into account and... well... I'd be happy with it if it'd come off my own lathe.

ss_11000
22nd August 2007, 11:29 PM
great job mate:clap:

Burnsy
22nd August 2007, 11:30 PM
Nice work Fixer

Several of them shown here:

http://perso.orange.fr/robert.bosco/trembleuren.htm

I know this is really clever, but what is it and what do you do with it? Or is it just art:wink:

Frank&Earnest
22nd August 2007, 11:55 PM
Well, if it's criticism you want... :D

You've already put your finger on what I'd call it's weak point: the stem's still a wee tad thick. Not by much, though. As for the foot, well I reckon it's about right for the current stem thickness. :thyel:

IMHO, the diameter of the foot is nicely sized to the bowl - most people turn them smaller which, to me, makes a goblet look top-heavy. I also like the transitions from the stem into the foot and the bowl and you've managed a nice thickness at the lip of the bowl.

Take the finish into account and... well... I'd be happy with it if it'd come off my own lathe.

OK, let's pull out Ern's list and start ticking!:) On the account of form/function IMHO the thickness of the stem and the width of the foot are in excellent proportion with the bowl - only the stem should be a bit shorter, as in the doctored photo below. At what length does a goblet become a trembleur?:D

Rap, rap... Ern's ghost, are you here?

thefixer
30th August 2007, 11:34 PM
OK, let's pull out Ern's list and start ticking!:) On the account of form/function IMHO the thickness of the stem and the width of the foot are in excellent proportion with the bowl - only the stem should be a bit shorter, as in the doctored photo below. At what length does a goblet become a trembleur?:D

Rap, rap... Ern's ghost, are you here?

You ruined my goblet. I spent hours on that bloody stem and you go and cut it in half:youcrazy: :protest2:

Cheers

Frank&Earnest
31st August 2007, 12:09 AM
Sorry that you did not like my comment, TF, but there is a large amount of evidence that a thick stem is more appreciated than a long one...:D

scooter
31st August 2007, 06:37 PM
Leave it there. :)