PDA

View Full Version : Intro :)

blonde
23rd August 2007, 03:49 PM
Hi folks

Just thought i would introduce myself as i have been skulking around for a bit doing some reading :)
Great site :2tsup: with heaps of info for the novice!

Ive recently finished a couple of projects so am on the look out for my next - (altho i always have a few different things on the go anyway to keep me ticking along!)

at the begining of the yr i finished 2 bedside tables and ive just finished a TV unit with a red wood slab top which turned out ok - im still very much experimenting and learning, but its coming along.

Im thinking i want to tackle a dining table next either a decent inside one or a big chunky sleeper one for our deck.

We bought our first house recently and ill be setting up a workshop in the downstairs 4th bedroom :D cant wait for my tools to finally have a proper home but we have a massive deck upstairs and will be doing some entertaining so i think an outside table will be next...

no doubt ill be in here all the time scouting for tools and wood! and where you sydney folk get your supplies and services

ETA - added some pics - it wont let me add the finished bedside?

RETIRED
23rd August 2007, 04:46 PM
Nice looking work. Just one criticism. On your small table the end grain should be at the ends not the front unless you planned it that way.

SSHH I am not supposed to be in here, don't tell.:wink:

Wongo
23rd August 2007, 04:49 PM
Not bad, not bad at all. I like the TV unit. It is very simple but very nice.

, what the hell are you doing here?:oo:

jmk89
23rd August 2007, 05:53 PM
Welcome, blonde

Like Wongo, I like the entertainemnt unit (and I agree with - the garin should be the other way, unless you planned it and he shouldn't be here:D ).

Wongo and I are SNAGS, so we're allowed to be here (This forum is like the ladies bar at a country pub - blokes are allowed, but they have to wear shirts and trousers and behave nicely).

wheelinround
23rd August 2007, 06:01 PM
Welcome

Unlike the other two I like both but the edges may tend to split and chip easy on the bedside table, looks heavy draw must be hard to open no handle.

:2tsup::2tsup:

watson
23rd August 2007, 10:22 PM
Welcome aboard!
I'm only in here 'cos I've got a tie on.....with a windsor knot!
Good stuff you've made.

Lignum
23rd August 2007, 10:32 PM
Im all alone with Wheelin, i like the end grain. Who said it had to be the other way around:?

And Blonde, i realy love the tv unit, very nice:)

ss_11000
23rd August 2007, 10:35 PM
welcome and nice peices.

( i'm in here cos i can...duh )

ptc
24th August 2007, 11:19 AM
nice pieces.
just lurking again.

frog's wife
24th August 2007, 11:54 AM
welcome blondie!

Good to see yet another handy chick on the board!

(Of course the blokes here are salivating at the thought)

Strangely, they all missed the best bit (I thought)

GUYS! She's setting up her workshop in the 4th Bedroom!

No cold draughty shed. Imagine being allowed to drop sawdust on the floor in the house. Ahhh, the joys of being the woman of the house! teehee.

Blonde,

nice tv unit!

Wife of the frog.

Gra
24th August 2007, 11:58 AM
Nice work there Blondie,

Welcome aboard hope you enjoy the irreverence that is this forum

Welcome aboard!
I'm only in here 'cos I've got a tie on.....with a windsor knot!
Good stuff you've made.

Watson I hope you are wearing more than the tie:doh::o:no::no:

blonde
24th August 2007, 01:39 PM
Nice looking work. Just one criticism. On your small table the end grain should be at the ends not the front unless you planned it that way.

Hi folks :) and Thx

The end grain for the top which i presume your talking about is at the sides but coz its sq and wasnt attached at the stage i took that pic i just chucked it on top!

The drawer does have a knob :rolleyes: but was put on later!

let me see if i can find a pic of the finished article....

ETA pic!

blonde
24th August 2007, 01:46 PM
FYI i live in a beach house and refuse to pay in excess of $2000 for a similar tv unit thats made of MDF!

so im going for simple looks and can get all my ideas from Jedos beach house or various other retailers, without paying their prices! :)

i already have a few orders from friends for simple coffee table etc!

yep firth bedroom is all mine - its got a walk in robe so that will become my tool 'room'!!! i cant wait :D

weve only got a sinlge garage and my house rules are that things with engines (working or not) must stay outside or in the garage! between us we have a 4WD, motorbike, sedan car and a classic Rambler in restoration (has been for yrs!)

our only concern is that now im confining all my mess to just one mid sized room - do we need some kind of dust extraction other than an open window! any thoughts - i sanded the raw wood back from chainsawn with a belt sander and it created loads of dust but i was in a carport and had a mask and goggles on (altho im thinking of upgrading to a proper filter mask soon)

RufflyRustic
24th August 2007, 03:39 PM
Hi Blonde

Welcome to the Forums. :)

Love the Bedside table and as for the TV unit!!! :2tsup: :2tsup: :2tsup:

...refuse to pay in excess of $2000 for a similar tv unit thats made of MDF!....

I totally agree!! I'm building up my skills so I can build my own kitchen rather than pay over $30 000 for it.

Please tell us more about how much fun you are going to have setting up your inside workshop. Re Dust - maybe one of those plastic door covers might work for you, the ones that hang from the top of the doorway, but overlap in the middle.

Looking forward to see more of your work :)

cheers
Wendy

flynnsart
27th August 2007, 10:25 PM
Hi Blonde, and welcome to the forum. I like your work, and look forward to seeing what you make next.

Donna

spring
5th September 2007, 11:31 AM
Hi Blonde, nice work :2tsup: