PDA

View Full Version : Finished but not happy

wheelinround
24th August 2007, 05:30 PM
finaly two finished 5 sets spinning wheel bobbins which will be unfortunatley painted by the owner.

2 chisle handles for father in-law

?? :doh:what are the top metal pieces called can't recall other than furels

Gra
24th August 2007, 05:31 PM
:worthless:

wheelinround
24th August 2007, 05:35 PM
:worthless:

:((:(( 3 times I had to load the frigin things and then again

Christopha
24th August 2007, 06:19 PM
It's "Ferrules" mate.. I don't want yer spellin' ter get all Feral on us!

wheelinround
24th August 2007, 06:50 PM
It's "Ferrules" mate.. I don't want yer spellin' ter get all Feral on us!

Thanks Chistopha will have to remeber "Fer-rules":D:2tsup:

So is it p-ha or f-ha sound for Christopha

Christopha
24th August 2007, 07:00 PM
Thanks Chistopha will have to remeber "Fer-rules":D:2tsup:

So is it p-ha or f-ha sound for Christophar

I am just lucky there ain't a 'K' on the nd of my name..... :doh:

NeilS
24th August 2007, 07:04 PM
Hi Wheeinaround

2 chisle handles for father in-law

If you are referring to the the metal ring at the opposite end of the handle to the blade, then it is sometimes called a 'hoop'.

Neil

Skew ChiDAMN!!
24th August 2007, 07:26 PM
Or if you mean the metal at t'other end, I call that "the pointy bit." :D

The spool ends are made of ply? I assume you turned the pulley groove on the lathe?

I also need to make some bobbins fairly soonish, as the last lot I made were turned from solid blocks of Oak. Of course, this means that the ends tend to break off along the grain when dropped... [sigh] I might laminate up the ends next time, 'cos I don't like ply.

wheelinround
24th August 2007, 09:03 PM
Or if you mean the metal at t'other end, I call that "the pointy bit." :D

The spool ends are made of ply? I assume you turned the pulley groove on the lathe?

I also need to make some bobbins fairly soonish, as the last lot I made were turned from solid blocks of Oak. Of course, this means that the ends tend to break off along the grain when dropped... [sigh] I might laminate up the ends next time, 'cos I don't like ply.

TY Skew always wanted to know what pointy bit was sharp too

Yep ply learn't that from looking at so damn many of them over last few years also many are made from :doh::doh: dare I say it MDF these days straight out of factory in NZ. used maple dowl for centre core.

Ply was cut using 3" hole saw on pedestal drill which I use on medium speed to burn a little helps hold them together then I use my hand hacksaw (this is a bute cut off tool will have to post pic) to run the centre of the groove then clean it up with small craft gouges. sanded etc.

Put small dowl into centre and redrill for size of wood bit to fit.

turned the main bobbin drilled from both ends for size of shaft :rolleyes: must thank Stu for his post.

Once all was ready glued PVA and checked groove on lathe and bobbin run out sanded etc.

Sounds like the ones your made are for same as LOML's wheel a wee peegy I would use ozzie HW

Skew ChiDAMN!!
24th August 2007, 10:02 PM
Yep ply learn't that from looking at so damn many of them over last few years also many are made from :doh::doh: dare I say it MDF these days straight out of factory in NZ. used maple dowl for centre core.

MDF? :oo: No wonder they paint 'em.

Sounds like the ones your made are for same as LOML's wheel a wee peegy I would use ozzie HW

Yeah, they were made from Oak 'cos that's what SWMBO's main wheel's made out of. I've been making a small Tower wheel from River Redgum, which has been an interesting project with the way RRGum tends to move around. :~ Naturally I'd like to make the bobbins from RRGum too, but I reckon they'd go all wonky, which wouldn't be a good thing.

Maybe I'll add some Jarrah "trim" to the wheel so that Jarrah bobbins wouldn't look out of place?

Whatever I do, I haven't touched the thing for some 2 years now (it's one of my obligatory half-finished projects as required by the Shed Code of Practice :rolleyes:) and don't really expect to get back to it any time soon... SWMBO already has two Saxony wheels, so it's not like she needs a third, even if it is a different type. :D

But I do need to make some more bobbins, dammit.

Hickory
25th August 2007, 02:28 AM

I have heard them called "Striking Ring" on many occasions, although I have not seen in print in any of the text books, seems they refer to them as rings to prevent splitting but do not asign a given name. I guess it is up to the region where the chisel resides and the craftsmen who use them.

BTW, nice job on the handles In my list of things top do is a matching set of handles for my collection of old chisels....someday...:2tsup:

wheelinround
25th August 2007, 07:56 AM
Skew the other material I have sen them pulleys made from is Craftwood not sure if thats worse than MDF.

Ashford use Coachwood for most traditional wheels and the bobbins but all of the ones or LOML's Ashford are MDF ends:doh::doh:.

Is your swmbo still very active in spinning??? LOML site SUE2SPIN (http://au.geocities.com/sue2spin/) she is busy with scarf exhange due Oct.

Hickory Thanks.

This was one of the things I wasn't happy about they are as close as I could get to original's but as you can see the round bead near the Ferrul's are different.
Knowing F-inlaw I'll be lucky if they last a year of his abuse :no: respect for tools unless they are his knives being a cook/chef he'd kill if anyone would abuse them or eve use them you could perform surgery they are that sharp.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
25th August 2007, 02:58 PM
Skew the other material I have sen them pulleys made from is Craftwood not sure if thats worse than MDF.

Ashford use Coachwood for most traditional wheels and the bobbins but all of the ones or LOML's Ashford are MDF ends:doh::doh:.

I'm not really sure if there is any difference between craftwood and MDF, apart from the price. I've a few panels of each floating around in the shed and the only way I can tell them apart is by looking for the "Craftwood" sticker. :rolleyes:

Is your swmbo still very active in spinning??? LOML site SUE2SPIN (http://au.geocities.com/sue2spin/) she is busy with scarf exhange due Oct.

It's one of those hobbies that seems to run on a 2-or 3-year cycle. :D At the moment, quilting is back in vogue.

Frank&Earnest
25th August 2007, 03:26 PM
I'm not really sure if there is any difference between craftwood and MDF, apart from the price.

It appears not:
Craftwood® is a Medium Density Fibreboard (MDF)
Trade Essentials Craftwood® is made in Australia by The Laminex Group
(from the Laminex Group site).
Knowing the author's name increases the price of works of art... maybe that's how they justify the difference in price...:wink: