PDA

View Full Version : lathe stand

weisyboy
28th August 2007, 07:20 PM
has anyone made a timber lathe stand?

i am planing on making one from pine fencing rail off cuts with a verry large sand box underneath to prevent vibrations.

any tips and info would be mutch apreciated.

I_wanna_Shed
28th August 2007, 09:57 PM
has anyone made a timber lathe stand?

i am planing on making one from pine fencing rail off cuts with a verry large sand box underneath to prevent vibrations.

any tips and info would be mutch apreciated.

Hi Weisyboy,

I recently travelled down this path and made a lathe stand. See my post here (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=53128) . Also look at the link within my first post as it contains a number of good examples. I am pretty happy with mine. I have allowed for a sandbox but haven't filled it as yet - its pretty solid at the moment, over 100kg now that my drawers are installed and filled.

If you want the plans for mine let me know.

Cheers,
Nathan.

thefixer
28th August 2007, 10:01 PM
I made mine from 70 mm x 50 mm hard wood of some sort. It came from a packing crate from Singapore. One end is screw bolted to the timber frame of the shed and the other end is braced and dyna bolted to the concrete floor. It has a 30 mm particle top with holes cut through so I can brush out the shavings from under the lathe bed. It looks rudimentary but it as solid as a rock. 100 times better than stand that came with the lathe. No plans or design were used, I just made it till it was comfortable for me. Being a short a*#e it's not far up from the floor so little timber was required:p

Cheers
Shorty

echnidna
28th August 2007, 10:51 PM
I've used an old kitchen sink cupboard (modified) for years and it works well.
All the junk I keep in the shelves and drawers ballasts it.
Just gotta remember to close the drawers before turning anything.

weisyboy
29th August 2007, 02:23 PM
i ahve ben using my work bench for years now and would like it back so i can do a bit of jewelry box making.

i was thinking sompthing more like a frame the lathe bolts to that wont get coverd in sawdust. more like the steel ones you can buy.

thanks for the info any more would be great.

Tomislav
29th August 2007, 04:40 PM
The Teknatool website has a good plan of one, I used bunnings seconds Pine 90x45, and a couple of bolts.. $15 total..

johnmw1
29th August 2007, 04:47 PM
With Compliments from Teknatool (http://www.teknatool.com/products/Lathes/DVR/downloads/Nova%20DVR%203000%20Manual_17%20November%2003.pdf), you may have to change a few dimensions to suit, because this is based on their Nova DVR 3000. Pages 8 & 9 will be the pages you want to see.

John

Sprog
29th August 2007, 05:08 PM
I was going to make a timber stand but then I saw the cast iron legs for the MC900/1100 and had an idea that I could use those with very little hassle.

Cast Iron Legs (http://www.timbecon.com.au/productsearch/default.aspx?txtSearchBox=MCLEG+)

Laminated 4 lengths of 18mm mdf, cut to suit my lathe bed.
Bolted the mdf lamination to the legs then the lathe to the mdf.
Drilled some 50mm holes to allow the chips to drop through the lathe bed.
This is one solid stand, it never moves.

Carbatec have the same legs and are cheaper. No picture on the Carbatec site so that is why the link is to Timbecon.

weisyboy
29th August 2007, 08:10 PM
i have started to mke one out of 100 x 38 fencing rail off cuts (from bunnings) and left over bolts and screws leftover from the last couple of jobs i'v done.

but i will have a look at the other plans it may give me some insparation.:2tsup:

ticklingmedusa
29th August 2007, 09:02 PM
To mount my Nova
I used big lag bolts & glue to join all the frame components.
In my case 4x6 Oregon (Douglas Fir.)
I think the (glue) idea came from Rowley's Woodturning a Fundamental Course.
That put my "box" at 6 inches deep and immediately under the 4x8 foot baltic birch plywood bench surface instead of lower because
I turn while seated so leg clearance under the bench was a must.
Theres a 2x6 cross member about every 2 feet hung with a galvanized joist hanger.
Instead of sand I went with 1 inch gravel as ballast. Even though the bottom of the box is plywood too I didnt want sand vibrating free and escaping onto the floor. When space allowed the gravel was left in the bags it was purchased in.
Be careful to line up ways mounting holes properly and level.
Its one rock solid mutha.
tm

weisyboy
29th August 2007, 09:22 PM
iv got a few extra besa bricks hanging from my current work bench i am hoping to use as balast. i might get it finished tommorow and will post pics.:2tsup:

ticklingmedusa
29th August 2007, 09:31 PM
iv got a few extra besa bricks hanging from my current work bench i am hoping to use as balast. i might get it finished tommorow and will post pics.:2tsup:

I tried bricks and they rattled. It might be a good idea to use something around them to dampen any vibration.
tm

BernieP
29th August 2007, 11:18 PM
G'Day Weiseyboy

Used useless "steel" legs that came with my lathe and enclosed in MDF cabinet with two drawers under lathe bed. Fitted a shelf out of 10" x 2" and put two legs off old concrete tubs on it. Would take an earthquake to move it.

Cheers
Bernie

weisyboy
30th August 2007, 03:42 PM
finaly finished it worked out better than i expected.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=54353&stc=1&d=1188448803

dosent look real nice but it dose the job. and it cost me a total of -$5 as all the materials were paid for plus 10%.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=54354&stc=1&d=1188448803

and now I have my bench back:2tsup:

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=54355&stc=1&d=1188448803
well sort of:D

ss_11000
30th August 2007, 04:47 PM
ugly bench for an ugly lathe:D

well, if it works for ya, i guess it doesnt have to look pretty.

Gra
30th August 2007, 04:49 PM
Love the bricks tied on with rope:2tsup::2tsup:

thefixer
30th August 2007, 08:26 PM
I cant believe you still have the safety cover over the pulleys still in place. My first lathe (for a very short time) was the GMC and that cover was the first thing to disappear. Its still in use as a disc sander and still has no cover over the pulleys.

Cheers
Shorty

weisyboy
30th August 2007, 08:33 PM
the blody thing rattles al the time i have been planing on removing it but could not be botherd bringing the angle grinder down to the shop. i replaced the screws with wing bolt things.:2tsup:

thefixer
30th August 2007, 10:54 PM
Another thing I can't believe. I assume that you are somewhat associated with the company mentioned in your signature file. Therefore I also assume you have access to the timber advertised therein, and "THAT" is the lathe you are using? I'm flabbergasted. Most people would kill to get hold that type of timber to use in a real lathe:((

Cheers
Shorty

ss_11000
30th August 2007, 11:10 PM
Another thing I can't believe. I assume that you are somewhat associated with the company mentioned in your signature file. Therefore I also assume you have access to the timber advertised therein, and "THAT" is the lathe you are using? I'm flabbergasted. Most people would kill to get hold that type of timber to use in a real lathe:((

Cheers
Shorty
LOL:U