PDA

View Full Version : What to do with a good root!

TTIT
29th August 2007, 12:25 AM
One the guy's from our club insisted I have this piece of Sally wattle root after I drooled over the platter he made from the other half of it.:B Immediately felt obliged to do something special with it. It looked like the figure was going to run out towards the bottom so I went for a large flat area on top to show it off but didn't want to waste the bulk from around the bowl section. Result = part off a ring to show off even more of the figure. I actually ended up parting off 3 rings - just in case :U- and each one showed more figure as I got closer to the top so I only used the last one. Legs are Gidgee with some black stain - were supposed to be Aussie ebony but the tree turned out to be a dud:C. 270 wide x 120 high. 6 or 7 coats of Danish then buffed with Ubeaut traditional just before assembly. Only bit I'm not happy with was a little bit of squeeze out of the super epoxy but I couldn't even see it in the shed at that time of night so it's there for good now:~.
I'm so happy with the way this piece turned out that I'm going to keep going with the theme for a few of the other special blanks I've been sitting on.:U

FOR SALE - 2 x as new Sally Wattle frisbee rings - fun for the whole family!:U

mick61
29th August 2007, 12:32 AM
G`day that is a very nicely finished bowl. Great design aswell:2tsup:
Mick:D

DJ’s Timber
29th August 2007, 12:34 AM
WOW :tongueroll:

Burnsy
29th August 2007, 12:40 AM
What a fantastic design and executed to perfection, well done:2tsup: .

BobL
29th August 2007, 01:01 AM
Like Burnsy says, beautifully designed and executed! Makes me almost wanna take up turning!

BANNED
29th August 2007, 01:02 AM
Hi TTIT,

Now, that is a decent piece of timber you got there!
Very unusual design, well accomplished, but very intriguing...!
Most certainly, not a 5 minute job, nor I dare to guess how long it took to make.:doh:
Also, as curiosity sake, does this piece have anything to do with you Avatar picture? :D hahahahhahahahah

Cheers
GV

joe greiner
29th August 2007, 01:38 AM
"Special" indeed. You've really done it justice; and then some. Sitting on the blanks might be OK, but somewhat uncomfortable to sit on the finished product - OUCH. (Sorry, I couldn't resist the temptation.)

Good work, Vern. Looking forward to more of the theme.

Joe

Zedster
29th August 2007, 03:26 AM
Now that I like, very innovative TTIT, well done

Chris

Sebastiaan56
29th August 2007, 08:34 AM
Hi Vern,

That's some nice root you have there, and you have really brought out its character. Once again you have given me something to aspire to,

Sebastiaan

RufflyRustic
29th August 2007, 09:28 AM
Again another unique and visionary piece from TTIT!! :2tsup: Talk about making the most of the timber's character :)

Cheers
Wendy

Cliff Rogers
29th August 2007, 09:39 AM
Impressive Vern. :2tsup:

I'd like to see some progress shots.

ptc
29th August 2007, 11:18 AM
only one word for it Superb!!

wheelinround
29th August 2007, 11:24 AM
:2tsup::2tsup: Quality work TTIT

jmk89
29th August 2007, 11:33 AM
A lovely piece. Greeny launched

Terry B
29th August 2007, 12:23 PM
Stunning.
How did you drill the leg holes? Are the legs fully tapered or do you have parallelareas through the frizbee:D?

Jim Carroll
29th August 2007, 01:50 PM
Excellent work and great foresight to see further than just a bowl.

John { ninefingers} was in the shop this morning talking about his trip up north and mentioned he had dropped into your place. Very impressed with the work you do.

reeves
29th August 2007, 02:23 PM
hey great work Vern, really nice effect and finish, do the conical bits just sit in holes or is there more to it..?

Caveman
29th August 2007, 05:12 PM
:2tsup: :2tsup: :2tsup: Really nice Vern - what a great way to show off a lovely piece of timber. Ya definately done it justice.

ss_11000
29th August 2007, 05:13 PM
brilliant work vern:2tsup::clap:

Simomatra
29th August 2007, 05:20 PM
Fantastic piece there Vern really has the wow factor

Definitely worth gold

Grumpy John
29th August 2007, 06:02 PM
Stunning.
How did you drill the leg holes? Are the legs fully tapered or do you have parallelareas through the frizbee:D?

Was wondering the same thing myself, please shed some light :?. Great design and brilliant finish.

scooter
29th August 2007, 06:13 PM
Beautiful, Vern :2tsup:

BernieP
29th August 2007, 06:21 PM
G'Day TTIT

That is something else thanks for sharing it with us.

Cheers
Bernie

Mrs Woodpecker
29th August 2007, 08:03 PM
Great stuff Vern. Beats a yellow sapphire anytime!!!! :2tsup: :2tsup:
regards Shirley

benji79
29th August 2007, 08:22 PM
Just when I think my work is getting good, I always get brought down to earth with a sensational piece like this. Great work and I aspire to do that quality.

Benji

martrix
29th August 2007, 08:41 PM
awesome work TTIT! Love it.

woodcutta
30th August 2007, 12:00 AM
Great stuff Vern

woodcutta

TTIT
30th August 2007, 12:11 AM
Stunning.

hey great work Vern, really nice effect and finish, do the conical bits just sit in holes or is there more to it..?The legs were turned as a full taper, sanded, stained and polished. I then parted in at the height of the ring and bowl-rim to create tenons 1/4" diameter and 6mm long - 1mm longer than the ring thickness to allow for parting off with the 1mm parting tool to create 2 small tenons. 1/4" holes were drilled through the ring and rim while held together with double-sided tape. The tenons were then glued into these holes with super-strength epoxy because of the limited glue area and I think they will hold OK - unless my 2yo grand-daughter gets hold of it - then nothing will save it!:U Hope that makes sense!:B

Great stuff Vern. Beats a yellow sapphire anytime!!!! :2tsup: :2tsup:
regards ShirleyDunno about that Shirley - can't see anyone offering me $45000 for a bowl!!!:;

I'd like to see some progress shots.Sorry Cliff - the only shot I thought to take was back when I first trued up the blank and was trying to work out what to do with it. :shrug:

hughie
31st August 2007, 06:04 PM
well its got my vote, so much so its going in my review file for later. :2tsup:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
31st August 2007, 06:47 PM
Dunno how I missed this post. :B However, now that I've finally seen it...

:surprise: Wow!

Harry72
31st August 2007, 07:40 PM
Thats awesome TTIT, top work mate!

Stu in Tokyo
31st August 2007, 08:28 PM
Fantastic, boy you were thinking outside the bowl!! :D

nine fingers
31st August 2007, 09:25 PM
I visited Vern on my recent trip to Qld.
His passion and knoweldge of timbers, his skill and imagation to use the timber to the utmost advantage is beyond my comprehension.
Vern,I thank you again for the wood you gave me.
Congratulations for a magnificent piece.
regards nine fingers.:2tsup:

Gil Jones
1st September 2007, 11:04 AM
Marvelous design and turning, Vern!!! :2tsup:
Beautiful wood and finish too.

Tornatus
1st September 2007, 02:17 PM
I'm coming late on the scene, Vern, but I must add to the kudos - a world-class effort, which really does justice to the woods used, as well as creating an art form in its own right. Truly inspirational! :brava

Kea5
2nd September 2007, 04:46 PM
Fantastic piece.

Very impressed.

ticklingmedusa
2nd September 2007, 08:01 PM
:2tsup: wow :2tsup:

rodent
3rd September 2007, 02:51 AM
Now I am depressed oh well back to the drawing board .

rsser
5th September 2007, 04:49 PM
I'm sorely disappointed with this thread.

Read thru carefully and found no relevant info at all.

But not all wasted effort; damn nice creation Vern.